Quick Question RE: Transimpedance/CI

Jackl3y

Sep 9, 2022
Maybe I’m wrong but I thought that a transimpedance phonostage needed more gain for higher resistance carts. Like a 1 ohm cart needs less than a 20ohm.

if this is correct then why would a company make 2 flavors of a given phone stage; one that’s 0 to 5 ohms and one that’s 5-40ohms?

I’m sorry if this is a dumb question, as many threads discuss it I’ve never seen it imperically stated.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
... why would a company make 2 flavors of a given phone stage; one that’s 0 to 5 ohms and one that’s 5-40ohms?
'Why' seems easy - to work with a greater variety of cartridges!

'How' now that is a question :)

What preamp(s) are you referring to?

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
From their site :

"Most of MC cartridges available in the current market are compatible with the standard version. For those cartridges with an extremely small output level and/or high internal impedance, we have the high-gain version. The standard version has 75dB and the high-gain version has 90dB of gain. Since it is a current amplification device with 0 ohm input impedance, output level is determined by the output amperage of the cartridge (output voltage divided by internal impedance). If you are not sure about which version suites better for your cartridge, please contact SAKURA SYSTEMS"

Gain needs are hence variable, more as impedance goes up. But many carts also increase in output as impedance goes up ( not all tho, good example Benz carts with non ferrous core ).

So you need to decide what gain you need, based on a particular cart and the gain structure of the rest of your components.

Reactions: Jackl3y and mtemur

Jackl3y

Sep 9, 2022
From their site :

"Most of MC cartridges available in the current market are compatible with the standard version. For those cartridges with an extremely small output level and/or high internal impedance, we have the high-gain version. The standard version has 75dB and the high-gain version has 90dB of gain. Since it is a current amplification device with 0 ohm input impedance, output level is determined by the output amperage of the cartridge (output voltage divided by internal impedance). If you are not sure about which version suites better for your cartridge, please contact SAKURA SYSTEMS"

Gain needs are hence variable, more as impedance goes up. But many carts also increase in output as impedance goes up ( not all tho, good example Benz carts with non ferrous core ).

So you need to decide what gain you need, based on a particular cart and the gain structure of the rest of your components.
I must have totally missed that part about the gain. Drats!
Thanks again. I appreciate your very helpful replies. :)

Reactions: Solypsa

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing