Re-imagining "Class A" Amplification

lscangus

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2018
I will write a more thorough description of my experience with the Westminster REIs but in brief, I auditioned them courtesy of @LampiNA Fred a while back; was extremely impressed, but did not have the budget to purchase them.

Recently decided to put my money where my heart was and pull the trigger, and purchased a pair of REIs through @LampiNA (thanks so much Fred)!

Although they are still settling in, they are even better (significantly so) than I remembered from my audition, but more to come on that!!

In the meantime, @lscangus Angus - thanks for creating these works of art. Question for you, what interface/connector can we use to take advantage of the 12V trigger on the REIs?

I am not planning on triggering them with my DAC (Horizon) as it does not have the custom option, but more to have a remote control way of turning the REIs on as they will be located behind my speakers for the shortest cable length.

Is there any impact to audio quality using a 12V trigger to turn on/off? There are modules that have optoisolators so nothing is electrically connected.

Thanks!!

Sorry for the late reply. We use the Neutrik nanoCON connector for the trigger. The trigger signal needs to be at 12V ( Pin 1 GND, Pin 2 12V ) and it needs around 100ma. You can create a custom cable from your automation system to control the on/off of the Rei.

In terms of sound quality, we have designed these trigger inputs to be completely isolated from the unit, even the ground! Hence the higher than usual current needed.

• Love
Reactions: seatrope

seatrope

Mar 9, 2017
Sorry for the late reply. We use the Neutrik nanoCON connector for the trigger. The trigger signal needs to be at 12V ( Pin 1 GND, Pin 2 12V ) and it needs around 100ma. You can create a custom cable from your automation system to control the on/off of the Rei.

In terms of sound quality, we have designed these trigger inputs to be completely isolated from the unit, even the ground! Hence the higher than usual current needed.
Hi Angus!

Thank you for your reply and great information on this. Would have never figured out the nanoCON connector part.

One follow up question - there are two connectors on the same trigger panel. What is the other one for? output signal for daisy chaining to the other monoblock(s)?

Reactions: lscangus

seatrope

Mar 9, 2017
I am testing Quest and Makua-so transparent and Brighton, Quest fuller and more tubey, guess what I prefer
@Zappadaddy I see the EDGE of a set of Tannoy Westminsters at the edge of this photo! I have Tannoy Westminster GRs - is that what you have too?

So far for me Westminsterlab REI and Tannoy Westminsters are a match made in heaven. What is your experience?

Last edited:

DSG Rob

May 8, 2019
@DSG Rob your REIs appear to be levitating in mid air! :D

What are you using for stands?
Yes in the pic I was using my older Sistrum SP004s (IIRC). I have since upgraded and now use CMS TT footers under the amps.

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
@Zappadaddy I see the EDGE of a set of Tannoy Westminsters at the edge of this photo! I have Tannoy Westminster GRs - is that what you have too?

So far for me Westminsterlab REI and Tannoy Westminsters are a match made in heaven. What is your experience?
I am just testing WL Rei and Quest. It is very hard to beat my SE-833, in almost all aspect Rei is sounding slightly better but I am keeping my amps for now, I like Quest even more, it is a great preamp and suits my needs well, organic sound that is for sure...but I still remeber Jadis JPS8 which I used to have, can not take it out off my head. I do have Westminster Royal versions

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Zappadaddy, Angus and I sincerely appreciate your demoing our gear and the compliments afforded to them. High praise indeed for our Rei amplifiers and Quest pre-amplifier from a "tube man" and Tannoy owner. Please sample WestminsterLab Ultra speaker, power and interconnect cables as they may be just the boost in performance you are looking for.

Enjoy the Music!

seatrope

Mar 9, 2017
seatrope, Angus and I cannot thank you enough for your positive comments. We are thrilled you are loving your Reis and no doubt, Fred is a great channel partner and one of the best audio professionals working in the high-end today.

Keith is correct, you can leave them on and they will have a low power draw. As you may already know, the Reis take approximately 30-35 minutes of dynamic signal running through them to reach their optimum operating temperature and best sound, so on or off at idle is similar from a performance perspective.

There is no detriment to the sound quality using the optional 12v trigger feature. I will leave it to Angus to comment on alternative methods to trigger them outside of your Lampizator DAC. Thanks again!
@gleeds Gary, thank you again for facilitating my purchase of these amazing amplifiers and your quick replies :)
Followup question on the 30-35 min of dynamic signal. I’m assuming that even if you leave it on overnight, if there’s no signal running it’ll end up cooling off to idle? So the next day you’d have to start playing music for 30-35 min before they’re back at optimum?
Much appreciated, Gary!

seatrope

Mar 9, 2017
Hi Angus!

Thank you for your reply and great information on this. Would have never figured out the nanoCON connector part.

One follow up question - there are two connectors on the same trigger panel. What is the other one for? output signal for daisy chaining to the other monoblock(s)?
@lscangus not sure if you saw this followup question - why are there two NANOCON connectors on each panel? One male one female? For daisy chaining?
Thank you!!

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Ok, so I will correct myself, it's Dynamic biasing. It's still not PURE Class A, Pure Class A is a linear circuit and not biased with any alternative technique. I am not doubting your circuit sounds great or has incredible genius in the design, but it's not Pure Class A. Nelson Pass has spoke alot about alternate Class A designs over the years. Again, I'm sure it sounds wonderful.

@gleeds Gary, thank you again for facilitating my purchase of these amazing amplifiers and your quick replies :)
Followup question on the 30-35 min of dynamic signal. I’m assuming that even if you leave it on overnight, if there’s no signal running it’ll end up cooling off to idle? So the next day you’d have to start playing music for 30-35 min before they’re back at optimum?
Much appreciated, Gary!
My pleasure! Yes, that is correct regarding reaching optimal operating temperature.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Angus asked me to post WestminsterLab's recent Award from High Fidelity Magazine, Poland for the Quest
preamplifier and Rei amplifiers. This adds to similar recognition in Mono and Stereo global, HIFI STATEMENT Germany, Stereo Sound and AEX, Japan. We expect to see our first reviews in North America soon.

unnamed (2).jpg

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Anyone in Warsaw this weekend please stop by and say hello to Angus in the Lumin/Trenner & Friedl/WestminsterLab suite.

Please also stop by and visit my friend, Sam Wisnewski in the Destination Audio Suite. They will be spinning some great vinyl powered by the DA GM-70 integrated and DA phono stage.

IMG-20231027-WA0000.jpg

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022
Anyone in Warsaw this weekend please stop by and say hello to Angus in the Lumin/Trenner & Friedl/WestminsterLab suite.

Please also stop by and visit my friend, Sam Wisnewski in the Destination Audio Suite. They will be spinning some great vinyl powered by the DA GM-70 integrated and DA phono stage.

View attachment 118897
That’s a pretty seductive-looking setup there.

Arif_in_Japan

Aug 20, 2022
Since the Quest has two outputs, can one of them be used to connect a subwoofer in addition to the Rei's? Is anyone doing this currently?

lscangus

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2018
Since the Quest has two outputs, can one of them be used to connect a subwoofer in addition to the Rei's? Is anyone doing this currently?
Technically yes you can. It may cause a ground loop depending on the grounding architecture of the subwoofer and system though. But there is no harm to give it a try. Are you located in Japan? :)

Reactions: Arif_in_Japan

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
Technically yes you can. It may cause a ground loop depending on the grounding architecture of the subwoofer and system though. But there is no harm to give it a try. Are you located in Japan? :)
I wonder the same. I am talking about Perlisten subs 15

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Another room shot from Warsaw show. Sorry, I have the speakers wrong. Last year was Trenner & Friedl, this year it is Gradients from Finland. I might add that it is a very cool mid century modern inspired listening chair!

IMG_4962.jpeg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing