Recent Concerts You've Enjoyed

Thought this might be a fun thread and a way to find out about acts on tour.

My wife and I saw the Smoke Fairies at the Tractor Tavern last evening as the opening act for Rasputina. The Smoke Fairies are a 'folk blues' duo from Wales and have been described as "Bob Dylan's dream." I thought that their debut release "Through Low Light and Trees" was one of last year's best. It was just the two principles singing and playing guitar. Really terrific concert with excellent acoustics and thankfully not too loud.

If you are ever in Seattle, the Tractor Tavern is a great venue in the Ballard neighborhood. Very fun people watching...I think my wife and I were the only ones without tattoos! I got to chat with them after their set and had my LP signed. I love the lilting Welsh accents!

Here's a video of "Hotel Room" from their debut LP:

[video]

concert3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2019-20 concert season at Carnegie is underway and last night the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra performed under Mariss Jansons.
R. STRAUSS Four Symphonic Interludes from Intermezzo
R. STRAUSS Four Last Songs
BRAHMS Symphony No. 4

Strauss was the final standard-bearer for Austro-German late Romanticism. It was nice to hear the juxtaposition one of his mid-career pieces (Intermezzo, 1926) and his last piece (Four Last Songs, 1948). Just as FYI- his early career pieces included Also sprach Zarathustra (1896), Don Quixote (1897), and Ein Heldenleben (1898). That's some kind of career arc!

Brahms' 4th premiered in 1885 and was the poster child of a work that exemplified the bitter feud between “radical” Wagnerians and “traditional” Brahmsians who declared the 4th to be a God-like masterpiece and the ultimate fulfillment of Beethoven’s symphonic legacy. Musically beautiful and completed with consummate craftsmanship, it was wonderful to hear and was well-performed.

As far as Jansons, this renown conductor is sadly on his last legs. I didn't think he would make it across the stage to the podium, no less be able to lift his arms to conduct. Most of the time, his arm were down around his waist or lower. (I swear I thought he was conducting musicians somewhere in the basement much of the time.). A lovely performance nevertheless and a privilege to hear Jansons live, although he was surely more animated in his younger days.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al M. and NorthStar
Leif Ove Andsnes doing the Grieg Piano Concerto and the BSO doing M4 Nov. 18th at Carnegie!
Pinch me. Does it get better than this?

Reactions: NorthStar
Fleetwood Mac-Farewell tour

I have been a huge fan of Fleetwood Mac for close to 45 years and have seen them countless times over the decades. I love their music and most every song of theirs went on to become huge hits.

First some quick history of the group which was formed in 1967 by Peter Green

Fleetwood Mac are a British-American rock band, formed in London in 1967. They have sold more than 120 million records worldwide, making them one of the world's best-selling bands. In 1998, select members of Fleetwood Mac were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and received the Brit Award for Outstanding Contribution to Music

Fleetwood Mac was founded by guitarist Peter Green, drummer Mick Fleetwood and guitarist Jeremy Spencer. Bassist John McVie completed the lineup for their self-titled debut album. Danny Kirwan joined as a third guitarist in 1968. Keyboardist Christine Perfect, who contributed as a session musician from the second album, married McVie and joined in 1970. At this time it was primarily a British blues band, scoring a UK number one with "Albatross" and also had other hits such as the singles "Oh Well" and "Man of the World". All three guitarists left in succession during the early 1970s, to be replaced by guitarists Bob Welch and Bob Weston and vocalist Dave Walker. By 1974, all three had either departed or been dismissed, leaving the band without a male lead vocalist or guitarist.

In late 1974, while Fleetwood was scouting studios in Los Angeles, he was introduced to folk-rock duo Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks. Fleetwood Mac soon asked Buckingham to be their new lead guitarist, and Buckingham agreed on condition that Nicks would also join the band. The addition of Buckingham and Nicks gave the band a more pop rock sound, and their 1975 self-titled album, Fleetwood Mac, reached No. 1 in the United States. Rumours (1977), Fleetwood Mac's second album after the arrival of Buckingham and Nicks, produced four U.S. Top 10 singles and remained at number one on the American albums chart for 31 weeks. It also reached the top spot in various countries around the world and won a Grammy Award for Album of the Year in 1978. Rumours has sold over 40 million copies worldwide, making it the eighth-highest-selling album in history. The band went through personal turmoil while recording the album, as both the romantic partnerships in the band (one being John and Christine McVie, and the other being Buckingham and Nicks) separated while continuing to make music together.

The band's personnel remained stable through three more studio albums, but by the late 1980s began to disintegrate. After Buckingham and Nicks each left the band, a 1993 one-off performance for the first inauguration of Bill Clinton featured the lineup of Fleetwood, John McVie, Christine McVie, Nicks, and Buckingham back together for the first time in six years. A full reunion occurred four years later, and the group released their fourth U.S. No. 1 album, The Dance (1997), a live compilation of their work. Christine McVie left the band in 1998, but continued to work with the band in a session capacity. Meanwhile, the group remained together as a four-piece, releasing their most recent studio album, Say You Will, in 2003. Christine McVie rejoined the band full-time in 2014. In 2018, Buckingham was fired from the band and was replaced by Mike Campbell, formerly of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, and Neil Finn of Split Enz and Crowded House.

For me the magic of this group was in the peak of their fame with Stevie Nix being a lover to Lindsey Buckingham as well briefly to the married Mick Fleetwood and the confirmed rumor that Stevie's only pregnancy which was never carried to term was father by Don Henley of the Eagles

Back in the 70's the magic on stage between Nix and Buckingham was worth the price of admission. The very first concert of theirs that I attended was when my wife and I were dating and we sat row AAA dead center in the pit at Irvine Amphitheater in Irvine, Ca

Then of course there were Christine and John McVie who although married were going through a divorce. Christine left the band a few times but after her most recent departure in 1998, her ex, John McVie developed colon cancer and although being declared cancer free, Christine returned to the band in 2014

The biggest news however was the ousting of favorite Lindsey Buckingham from the group in 2018

Lindsey Buckingham and Fleetwood Mac part ways — again. He was reportedly fired this time

The legendary rock band Fleetwood Mac is an awful lot like a sports team. Through the years, its name has never changed even though its roster often has. Keeping track of its members is nearly as hard as remembering the names of “Game of Thrones” characters.
Many consider the band’s true — or at least most important — lineup to consist of Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks, Christine and John McVie, and, of course, Mick Fleetwood. But that wasn’t always the case. When the band formed in 1967, Nicks, Buckingham and Christine McVie had nothing to do with it.
Since then, the band has gone through several iterations. It has broken up. It has gotten back together. Christine McVie has quit the band. Christine McVie has rejoined the band. So has Nicks. So has Buckingham. In 1974, there was even another band named Fleetwood Mac — a fake Fleetwood Mac — after the band’s manager Clifford Davis claimed he owned rights to the name and assembled a second Fleetwood Mac composed of musicians who never had anything to do with Fleetwood Mac.

Yet another roster change in 2018. Buckingham, the band’s guitarist and principal songwriter, is out of the band — again. He originally joined in 1975 and left in 1987, only to rejoin in 1997.
Buckingham’s departure may not have been amicable this time. Both Rolling Stone and Variety reported that Buckingham was fired due to a disagreement about the band’s coming tour. (The Washington Post has reached out to the band’s management company, Suretone Entertainment, for comment.)
The band released a statement that Buckingham wouldn’t be appearing during that tour. In his place will be both Mike Campbell, the former lead guitarist for Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, and Neil Finn, the frontman for Australian rock band Crowded House.

“Fleetwood Mac has always been about an amazing collection of songs that are performed with a unique blend of talents,” drummer Mick Fleetwood said in a statement. “We jammed with Mike and Neil and the chemistry really worked and let the band realize that this is the right combination to go forward with in Fleetwood Mac style.”
AD

“The band wishes Lindsey all the best,” the statement added, according to Variety.
How a black college dance troupe landed a decades-old Fleetwood Mac song on the Billboard charts

Buckingham’s departure was originally announced in a now-deleted tweet by guitarist Billy Burnette, who replaced Buckingham in 1987 and left when the band went on a two-year hiatus in 1995.
“Breaking news: Lindsey Buckingham is out but I’m not in,” the tweet read.
That tension might exist within the band isn’t surprising. It has long been a hallmark of the group, much of it stemming from the band’s various romantic entanglements. Consider what famously led to its 1977 record “Rumours,” one of the top 10 best-selling albums of all time:
Nicks and Buckingham ended a long romantic relationship.
Married members Christine and John McVie were in the midst of a divorce.
The married Mick Fleetwood began having an affair with Nicks.
Meanwhile, they were all recording an album full of relationship songs. As the rumors (pun intended) go, everyone in the band is singing about everyone else in the band.
As McVie told Rolling Stone of the sessions: “Drama. Dra-ma.”
“We refused to let our feelings derail our commitment to the music, no matter how complicated or intertwined they became,” Fleetwood wrote in his memoir. “It was hard to do, but no matter what, we played through the hurt.”

Even so, all that drama is partially what led Buckingham to leave the band the first time.
“I needed to get some separation from Stevie especially, because I don’t think I’d ever quite gotten closure on our relationship,” he said at the time. “I needed to get on with the next phase of my creative growth and my emotional growth. When you break up with someone and then for the next 10 years you have to be around them and do for them and watch them move away from you, it’s not easy.”
Which is to say that while Monday’s news is par for the course, one thing is certain: Fleetwood Mac won’t sound the same. But then again, it never does. Plus, if history is any indicator, Buckingham won’t be gone for long.

Reactions: marty and ack
So after all of that history how was the show.........

The Final Tour started 1 1/2 years ago and after 89 performances the last of which was Saturday Nov 16 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. So my wife ad I spent the weekend in Las Vegas for a fun weekend. We had reasonably good seats for the show which was completely sold out with over 18000 people attending

I have never been in T-Mobile arena the home of Las Vegas' NHL hockey team the Vegas Golden Knights

The venue was one of the nicest I have been in, in a long while. The acoustics were simply fabulous.

The band now was enlarged to a total of 11 people
Stevie Nicks – vocals, tambourine
Mike Campbell – guitar, vocals--formerly of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers,
Neil Finn – guitar, vocals formerly of Crowded House
Christine McVie – keyboards, vocals
John McVie – bass guitar
Mick Fleetwood – drums, percussion

I have to admit that there was some magic lost without Stevie and Lindsey however Neil Finn as the replacement to Buckingham excelled in his role. In fact the group played a song written by Neil Finn which is one of Billboard's all time best- Hey Now. This brought a standing ovation from the crowd.

Mike Campbell I had never heard of but played in the Heartbreakers with Tom Petty. This guy was a fabulous guitarist through the night and some of his solos were electrifying

Stevie Nix is still , well "Stevie" The crowd went nuts when she strutted her stuff and did her famous bows and hand gestures and turnarounds. As always she was dressed in black and her microphone was adorned with ornaments as it always is. Stevie at age 71 can still sing although she was lacking at the top end.

Christine McVie who played keyboard all night also was missing the top octave but looked great at age 76

John McVie at age 73 as always was dressed in a vest and a cap and played great bass but was huddled towards the rear of the stage as he always is

Mick Fleetwood at age 72 remains one of my favorite drummers. How he could keep up the way he did astounded me as he didn't miss a beat.As always he was dressed in his black knickers, high black socks and red shoes and a white shirt with pom pom tassels on the bottom as he is always dressed.

For me the highlight of the show was a drum solo done by Mick which he does in everyone of their concerts. This lasted well over 10 minutes and the crowd was standing for the entire solo. What made it special was a second percussionist who sat to the left of Mick and together the two of them brought the house down one more time

The group opened with one of my favorite songs of theirs usually done by Lindsey Buckingham, and on the Rumors album, The Chain. What an opening

Off to the rear left of the stage was another keyboardist and a guitar player and off to the far right of the stage were 2 additional female vocalists providing the rhythm. IMO they were much needed as they smoothed the top end of Christine and Stevie's vocals

So all together there were 11 people on stage.

They sang literally every song they ever recorded over the next 2 1/2 hours. The only one they didn't sing was Tusk.

At the end Stevie had a monologue thanking Neil Finn and stated that he was the best male accompaniest with whom she ever sang (so much for Lindsey)

Stevie went on to say that "this was their final performance and walked off the stage as she bid farewell to a standing ovation

However the final words were left to Mick Fleetwood alone on stage reminiscing about the years of the band and finished by saying "this is the final performance but look for us to be back"

It s tough to fathom a return when the group will all be in their late 70's and Christine close to 80

In summary, this was one of the best concerts I have attended in many years. Everyone left the theater totally drained from the excitement

Friday night was a good one at Carnegie. Joyce DiDonato sang excerpts from Mozart, followed by Bruckner’s 4th, all under the baton of Yannick Nezet-Seguin and the Montreal Metropolitan Orchestra. Everyone knows Yannick is the principal conductor of the Philadelphia Orchestra and starting this year, the Metropolitan Opera in NYC. But I didn’t realize he has been the principal conductor of the Metropolitan Montreal Metropolitan Orchestra for 20 years. And two month ago, in September 2019, he was given a contract extension for the Montreal position- for life! That’s almost unheard of, but Montreal is most fortunate since there are many who think he's arguably the finest conductor working today. Yannick is indeed exceptional. He conducts anything, symphonic operatic or chamber with equal aplomb.

It is said Mozart reached his greatest heights when he was writing for the human voice. DiDonato made her reputation singing Handel and Mozart and last night she sang excerpts from one of the last pieces he wrote which was La Clemenza di Tito. The last year of Mozart’s life, 1791, was one of frantic creativity as Mozart faced deteriorating health knowing he would soon die. While he was writing The Magic Flute and his Requiem he received a commission from some big wigs to write an opera, “The Clemency of Titus” which he banged out in a couple of weeks. DiDonato sang the excepts beautifully which are thought to be among the best arias he ever wrote. She is a true mezzo and has a big voice but she also dabbled in the coloratura range with some fine trills that showcased her considerable talent. She is pictured below with the clarinetist who was featured in her first aria. Yannick is of course, the white knight.

IMG_2281.jpeg

As far as Bruckner, it always impressed me that as a peasant from North Austria who was known for his baggy pants and shabby clothes, his devout Catholicism would translate to such majestic, noble and elegant writing which was typically about the glory of God. His 4th is no exception. It’s a big piece and full of grand and powerful expressions that remain a high water mark of the romantic repertoire. Bruckner’s themes are very long and built cumulatively from many elements. If Beethoven’s themes can be likened to pithy sentence fragments, Bruckner’s are fully developed paragraphs. Bruckner was an organist and left his playing days behind him to enter the Vienna Conservatory as a teacher of composition at the relatively late age of 44. He wrote his last 8 symphonies from that point on. His regard as a composer of great stature is why there is a “school “named after him – the Viennese School of composition (often called the Bruckner/Viennese school) which has invariably been mastered by most great conductors since then.

Bruckner certainly knew how to write for brass! (Who do you think taught Mahler, 36 years Bruckner’s junior, to write for brass?) The orchestra for this piece swelled from about 75 players to well over 100 and they certainly rocked the hall (or more appropriately, with the horns and brass, they blew the roof off). It is most fitting that Bruckner’s 4th symphony received its Carnegie Hall premier in 1910 with Gustav Mahler conducting the NY Philharmonic. Cool stuff!.

The 4th is a big and complex piece that requires focused attention to absorb its myriad of harmonic and rhythmic themes. I particularly liked the slow movement which has been likened to a veiled funeral march. But instead of the anguish we always hear in Mahler’s funeral marches, there is gentle tenderness and sorrow in Bruckner, who saw death not as an end but as the beginning of a full union with God. In my view, Mahler certainly achieves the full acceptance of God equally well, (i.e., the 2nd and the 9th) but it’s as if he always asks God along the way, “why are you crapping on my head all the time”? Bruckner was a far less contentious believer.

Final observation. I can’t remember the last time I saw any symphony that dressed its players identically; men wearing the same suit jackets, and women the same dress. It was lovely to see and very classy.

Last edited:
Marty, sounds wonderful. Joyce has been one of our favorite singers for many years. We've only heard Yannick conduct once, in London, I think three years ago when the Philadelphia Orchestra was on a European tour. Manny Ax soloed in the Beethoven PC3. We had heard Murray Periaha the night before and he sat three rows directly behind us for the performance, I think especially to see and hear his friend Manny.

We just got back from hearing David Finckel and Wu Han (husband and wife cello-piano duo) play a concert of real favorites. Finckel was the long time cellist of the Emerson Quartet until he retired a few years ago to work more with his wife. They are based in New York and are the co-artistic directors of the Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center, and Music at Menlo (in the Bay Area). They come out to Berkeley annually to play. I think they are the top cello-piano duo in the world. They played the sublime Beethoven A major Cello Sonata (Op69), my favorite cello sonata, the Brahms second Cello sonata and Franck Violin Sonata arranged for cello. Can't beat that for a cello-piano recital.

We hear the great young cellist Sheku Kanneh-Mason the Wednesday after Thanksgiving. People may have heard him play at Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's wedding last year. He had been named the UK young musician of the year in 2016, which is how Cal Performances heard of him and signed him up to perform, well before the wedding. He will be accompanied by his pianist sister.

Larry

Larry, thanks for turning me on to David Finkel and Wu Han. I will look for them in the NYC area to see live. I am also not familiar with the Beethoven Op69 so that will get a Qobux/Tidal listen ASAP. That's what this forum is for!!
Yannick is a regular at Carnegie, generally with the Philly Orchestra, so I get to see him there on their yearly tour. This year, he is touring with DiDonato and the Montreal in several cities. The guy is everywhere, it seems! Nobody appears to be complaining.
Marty

The accolades for David Bryne’s show “American Utopia” now playing for a limited run at the Hudson Theater in NY keep rolling in. “Dazzling, jubilant and raptuous” cried the NY Times and “an experience like no other” said Billboard. This is no fake news. If you are a fan of David Bryne, it is easy to understand why this is a once in a generational, and even a once in a lifetime performance. For those of you unfamiliar with Byrne, he was the leader of the rock group “Talking Heads” back in the mid 70’s, where I first made their acquaintance. On a personal note, the band’s music was a foundation of the music we often played at parties during med school to de-compress and was usually accompanied with the usual imbibements of the time.

It’s hard not to have a good time listening to the Talking Heads. They have a true “brand” characterized by songs loaded with infectious dance rhythms, superb instrumentation, and some of the oddest but fun lyrics this side of Mars. This is all attributable to it’s mastermind, David Bryne. His current show (really 90+ % musical) finds him performing some classics as well as some contemporary and new songs with a world class band of global musicians and vocalists that had the audience jumping, especially for the well-known favorites “Burnin’ down the house” “Slippery people” and “Stop making sense”. The show tonight was a one act tour de force that was brilliantly staged and incredibly well choreographed with a set that was minimalist but luminous. Bryne sings intensely and he’s no spring chicken so I have to wonder how long he can keep this up as it’s a physically exhausting evening for the performers, many of who are soaking wet by the time the show is over. It’s not often you get to see a legend. I was blown away. PS, notice the bare feet on all the performers.

IMG_2302.jpeg

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing