Recent Concerts You've Enjoyed

Thought this might be a fun thread and a way to find out about acts on tour.

My wife and I saw the Smoke Fairies at the Tractor Tavern last evening as the opening act for Rasputina. The Smoke Fairies are a 'folk blues' duo from Wales and have been described as "Bob Dylan's dream." I thought that their debut release "Through Low Light and Trees" was one of last year's best. It was just the two principles singing and playing guitar. Really terrific concert with excellent acoustics and thankfully not too loud.

If you are ever in Seattle, the Tractor Tavern is a great venue in the Ballard neighborhood. Very fun people watching...I think my wife and I were the only ones without tattoos! I got to chat with them after their set and had my LP signed. I love the lilting Welsh accents!

Here's a video of "Hotel Room" from their debut LP:

[video]

concert3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
the trick to living in big cities is to treat them as your living room. Not by being homeless, but by treating the restaurants as an extension of your dining room, and all the activity resources (whether concert halls, any sports recreation centre, etc etc) as an extension of your living room. So you don’t have to think or plan much but you can wander in just as you would from one room in your house to another. People who live outside tend to value internal space much more as if only that belongs to them, and go outside only for groceries or to the mall, or to some advanced planned long trip

If that works for you in London then well done and have fun.

While everyone is enjoying the latest offerings at Munich, I found something nice to do here in NY.
Two nights ago, we went to see Gustavo Dudamel in his new home at Geffen Hall at Lincoln Center conducting Mahler's 9th symphony with the New York Philharmonic. It was notable for several reasons. To begin, it was so lovely seeing 2200 people pay good money to hear music written over 110 years ago. Not Taylor Swift, Bugs Bunny (of whatever his name is), or some rapper whose name I can hardly spell, but good ol' Mahler. The audience was surprisingly multigenerational but as you would guess, mostly older. For a variety of reasons, this concert had a real "happening" vibe to it with tickets being sold on site by scalpers for $500 and up. Taylor Swift prices? Not quite. But not bad for a long dead composer. Next, was the tremendous and unanticipated audience applause Dudamel received when he walked on stage. This was his first appearance since the announcement in February that he would be the next music director of the NY Phil and the audience gave him a 5 min standing ovation before a single note was played.

IMG_1166.jpeg

This was only my second visit to the new Geffen and I was impressed again by the sound which was immediate and full. (I'm still trying to figure out where to sit but now feel comfortable subscribing to a series for next year.). As far as the performance, the first thing I noticed was that Dudamel conducted without a score. While that's not unusual for war horses such as Beethoven's 5th, M9 is not that commonly performed so I was impressed Dudamel did it from memory (especially since I can't remember what I ate for lunch yesterday). The performance itself was quite good but there are so many great M9's that comparisons are meaningless. Far more moving to me was the music and what Mahler was trying to say. To begin, he had to deal with the curse of the 9th. When he composed it, he knew full well that the 9th symphony was almost an impossible hurdle to clear as neither Beethoven, Schubert or Bruckner managed to exceed 9 symphonies. In fact, after writing his 8th symphony Mahler wrote Das Lied von der Erde which, while structurally a symphony, was able to be disguised as a song cycle. So when he wrote his 9th symphony he thought he had beaten the curse, but died with his 10th symphony incomplete. He completed the 9th in 1909 but never lived to hear it performed. He died in 1911 (at age 50).

M9 was inspired by 4 major events in Mahler's life. The first was that his wife Alma has an affair with a young architect (who she eventually married). Second, his 4 year old daughter died in 1907 from complications of scarlet fever and diphtheria. Third, he lost his job as conductor of the Vienna Philharmonic due to anti-semitism (his late conversion to Catholicism apparently did not appease his Vienna critics). And if that was not enough, he was diagnosed with a heart condition that was ultimately fatal (he died from bacterial endocarditis in 1911). These were the things going on in his life when he wrote the 9th. To say the least, it is not exactly a happy symphony. Rather it is a magnificent composition about a man that knew he was dying, who expressed a deep regret for knowing he had to give up everything about life that he loved, and did so regretfully, angrily and reluctantly, but ultimately had to find way to make peace with it. That's what the 9th is all about. There are moments in that symphony that are so beautiful one wonders what human could possibly have written such music, as well as moments so painful that you can hear Mahler screaming "hell no, I won't go" which then turn to mournful sadness in hearing him lament what he knows is inevitable. The final moments of the symphony are as quiet as a prayer as it is when Mahler finally makes peace with himself (and with God). If you have tears in your eyes at the conclusion of this work, you would not be alone.

Mahler's 9th is magnificent not only because it is a hell of a musical ride, but the way it makes you feel at the end of the ride. We can look to Bernstein who perhaps said it best: "no person of sensibility can come away from the Ninth Symphony without being exhausted and purified. And that is the triumphant result of all this purgatory, justifying all excesses: we do ultimately encounter an apocalyptic radiance, a glimmer of what peace must be like".

Last edited:
3 perfect paragraphs about Mahler's 9th. No boilerplate, just perfect.

Marty, you need to write a book, about the major composers and their individual pieces.

BTW you can stay at Alma's home in Venice....if the walls could speak

Marty, you need to write a book, about the major composers and their individual pieces.
That's kind of you to say, but for romantic (my favorite) composers who have long departed, everything there is to say about them has probably already been said by people a lot more knowledgeable about their music than I am. What's nice about the listening experience is that the way a piece moves you is yours alone and you don't need any experts for that!

BTW you can stay at Alma's home in Venice....if the walls could speak

Well, if Alma was still there, that might be worth considering! Apparently she was a very attractive woman although I don't quite see that from her pictures. However the Vienna press was pretty nasty and said that because of his "background" (i.e. religion), Mahler didn't deserve to date such a beautiful woman. Wow! Imagine what they would have said if he was dating Beyonce (who is supposedly related to Mahler- seriously- she's an 8th cousin 4 times removed.)

Last edited:
Berlioz rules again... also here in Torino (Turin) today in Teatro Regio performed by the residents orchestra. Extended musician number, almost 90...
Probably I was biased ... The conductor was a young Ukrainian lady: Oksana Lyniv, that dominated the orchestra with a mix of elegance and energy. Excellent performance!

Attachments

• IMG_20230522_223520.jpg
    IMG_20230522_223520.jpg
    414.6 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: marty
First Aid Kit at the Paramount Theater last night. Can’t believe it’s been 5 years since we last saw them. Outstanding show albeit a little short. Latest LP “Palomino” is fantastic

EDBC7198-FA4B-4BE1-AE94-8E5763DD55E6.jpeg 17AC0296-A705-4FC7-8604-52B75B8740E0.jpeg

Reactions: Long Live Analog
This was a joyous yet sad week that marks the end of an era as Billy Joel announced he would end his monthly residency at Madison Square Garden in 2024 after 150 shows. This announcement almost certainly made last night's Billy Joel concert at MSG my last as I bought those quite expensive tickets 6 mo ago and can't even imagine the prices his last concerts will command. I have seen him at MSG 4 times as well as elsewhere, but MSG, by his own admission is his temple so it was more than the usual range of emotions, happy to sad to profound, listening to the song track of my life last night knowing that it would be my last Billy Joel concert. The last time I saw him there, a year ago, I thought he was at his absolute best musically, vocally, and as an MC (his stories alone are worth the price of admission.) Joel is a musician's musician so nobody should be surprised that his band is outstanding, many of whom have been with him forever (outlasting a few wives).

Much to everyone's delight, and despite the fact that he ridicules himself by admitting his fear of not hitting the high notes anymore, he did not disappoint.

It's not easy to accept the end of some things. In pop music, Paul Simon and Elton John are retired and Billy Joel's retirement from MSG may signify his general retirement. Thank goodness James Taylor seems immortal, Queen is still touring with Adam Lambert, Peter Gabriel is touring again and rumor has it the Stones will tour again. So the light is still on......

Last edited:
Last concert before Summer... again in Teatro Regio, Turin.
Jukka-Pekka Saraste conducting the local orchestra through Brahms (Ouverture academic fest n.80); Tchaikovsky (Romeo & Juliet) and Sibelius (Symphony n.2).
Perfect for lovers of late Romantic music!

Attachments

• IMG_20230605_221308.jpg
    IMG_20230605_221308.jpg
    443.3 KB · Views: 4
I had the rare opportunity on Thursday to hear the "dress" rehearsal of Beethoven's Missa Solemnis with the CSO conducted by Riccardo Muti. His last concerts as Music Director. (Named Music Director Emeritus for Life on Friday night.)
Wonderful and sound and visuals from the Box K. See attached photo, taken a few minutes before the rehearsal started.

Attachments

• 100_0458 cso rehearsal box K.jpg
    100_0458 cso rehearsal box K.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Caught Kenny Wayne Shepherd band at The Factory in St Louis Wednesday night. Solid acoustics, top notch guitar. King Solomon Hicks opened...young blues guitarist with a good singing voice...evoked Robert Cray (to me).

PXL_20230622_015358227.jpg PXL_20230622_003733149.jpg

Neil Young Coastal Tour at Rady Shell in San Diego. Just Neil and his guitars and pianos (upright, mini-grand, grand, and some type of organ). Even though I could not see anything since I was in the back and no video screens, I thought it was a great performance and the best sound quality I've ever heard at a rock concert by far. Neil, who is an audiophile (remember Pono?), even said, "whoever designed this place definitely had music in mind".

In the last 3 days we had attended: Conte, BEN HARPER & THE INNOCENT CRIMINALS, Kenny Barron Trio (Umbria Jazz Festival).

Latter today will attend, Samara Joy, JOE BONAMASSA.

Attachments

• 20230715_183049.jpg
    20230715_183049.jpg
    565.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230713_231608.jpg
    20230713_231608.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 2
I'm not sure how many Americans familiar with Umbria Jazz Festival, the festival is taking place in city in middle Italy, the part of the city where the pestival condacted was build mostly during the middle age\renesas areas, which give the festival special atmosphere.

Some pictures from tonight shows we attended; Samara Joy, JOE BONAMASSA.

Attachments

• 20230716_213121.jpg
    20230716_213121.jpg
    438.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230716_213001(0).jpg
    20230716_213001(0).jpg
    588.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230716_211858.jpg
    20230716_211858.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230716_171624.jpg
    20230716_171624.jpg
    580.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230716_171634.jpg
    20230716_171634.jpg
    586.5 KB · Views: 1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing