Recommendation for a power strip and outlet

Jul 11, 2021
Puritan Audio has a range of products that are well reviewed and liked.

Plus one on the puritan gear, after trying out isol-8 and and iso tek which would be considered a good starting point I had a conversation with Mike at Puritan about his designs and pulled the trigger. IEC 20 plug and 16amp rather than the 10 amp of many of these filter conditioners. I originally purchased the PC106 DC for all the network switches, router, linear power supplies and was very happy with the results. I plugged in my hegal H590 amp expecting it to squeeze the dynamics as all other power conditioners I had tested do and it didn’t! I was shocked, better bass clarity and sense of silence, more centre soundstage with no “but”. Is doesn’t take well to having switching power supplies on the same strip. Mac mini running hqplayer plugged into same strip compromised the sound, remove and back to the magic. Incredible value and kudos to Mike on the design of the filter

Juiced

Nov 26, 2022
i have replaced my generic power strip with a isol-8 powerline axis.
it didn't fix the distortion that i suspect is Parasitic oscillation but it approved the tonality.

the strange part that it's random. it only happen to the pr-amps' right channel gradually increasing volume and sometimes pop in the end.

could be just faulty capacitor on the preamp but i was able to completely stop it for 2 weeks with a shorter power cord with a ferrite magnet.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
We have the S.I.N. Audio PSD coming in for a demo in our system. They use SBMTechnology or Silent Background Magnetic Technology -

By using the wires geometry and carefully selected materials, SBMTechnology is improving magnetic connection between the single wires. This allows us to achieve constant and strong magnetic filed that is much more resistant to outside interferences. SBMTechnology is working along the entire cable length, not on few points only. Furthermore, we are using only the natural magnetism which materials have. This allow our technology to decrease the background noise without interfering whatsoever with the music reproduction.

It allegedly improves dramatically the background noise of the audio systems without changing the natural tonal balance of our products. In brief - less noise, more music

Reactions: Long Live Analog

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I have an Inakustic 3500P Power conditioner that I have used for the last couple of years that has been great. I am going to upgrade to the 4500P for a new system I am getting. I have an ad posted on USA Audio mart if anyone is interested.

Pallen

Jun 25, 2018
In contrast to their power cables, my Gutwire Schuko 8 Bar distributor has turned out to be a disappointment, holding back my system in terms of bass performance and general dynamics. I've now shortlisted options from the Puritan Audio and Chord PowerHAUS ranges. I'll report back in due course.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
thank you all,

there are lots of great stuff our there but which one works best with Shindo or Kondo gear in your opnion?
Have you considered Shindo's power conditioner?

FYI:

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
My experience is the polar opposite. Go figure. Maybe a different brand will yield a different result.
Mine too. Dedicated line, high end outlets, good power conditioner and power cables, multiple filtering and tuning devices - all have worked well together to audibly reduce noise and make my system more articulate and natural sounding. And I have verified their effectiveness more than once by removing everything and listening without before putting it back. My belief after 50 years as an audiophile is that unless you made major component changes, if your system sounds better after removing stuff you previously installed then that stuff was ill conceived and/or misinstalled to begin with.

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
The best passive/parallel filter strip I have tried is the Nordost QB8 - but with Nordost power cables. There is a synergy there that may not be present with other brands power cables.

Pallen

Jun 25, 2018
I went with a Chord M6 and it's a worthwhile step up from the Gutwire 8-Bar power distributor that I had been previously using. The midrange is now more transparent and 'right sounding' and bass weight is improved and appropriate.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Below is my number one choice. Hand built by James Pappas in SoCal. Star grounded, dead quite and bullet proof.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Below is my number one choice. Hand built by James Pappas in SoCal. Star grounded, dead quite and bullet proof.

FYI:

Republicoftexas69

Gleeds: I will second that with the Wisdom products. Bullet Proof and simply clean power distribution no conditioning.

Reactions: gleeds

budburma

May 7, 2023
Hudson Valley, NY United States
Passive: Sound Application - older models are very effective too. All the way back to XE12. I sent mine in and had a 15 amp IEC put in.

Active/Regenerative: Equi-tech. Model depends on how much headoom you need. Generally Son of Q is plenty.

Having tried many before my current solution, these two are the best in their category. Both are also tunable/affected to some extent by their power cord..

Long Live Analog

Aug 8, 2022
West Tn. Mid South
Passive: Sound Application - older models are very effective too. All the way back to XE12. I sent mine in and had a 15 amp IEC put in.

Active/Regenerative: Equi-tech. Model depends on how much headoom you need. Generally Son of Q is plenty.

Having tried many before my current solution, these two are the best in their category. Both are also tunable/affected to some extent by their power cord..
+1 on the Sound Applications?? I’ve owned 4 over the years, can’t go wrong with the old or new versions. Highly recommended. They’re like the heirloom of audio.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing