Relevant Audio Forums other than WBAF?

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
Are there any other forums that are either originally in English or can be translated that people frequent other than WBAF?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Of course not - why else do you think this website was started some years ago?

Did you also start AVSForum with David? ...In the late 90s?

"AVSForum.com began back in 1999, when home theatre buff David Bott decided to launch a Web-based forum for like-minded aficionados in collaboration with online retailer AV Science, from which the forum’s name was derived."

20200211_195504.jpg

Both joined January 1999

Last edited:

Steve Bruzonsky

May 15, 2010
Alan Gouger started AVS Forum, hired David as a new admin of the forum back late 90's, they entered into some sort of co-ownership as far as I understood, and I came on back in 1999 when I joined (I think I was like the 8th member of the forum) and started the Special Guest feature which built up forum membership - Alan will give me credit, David gives credit to no one. I moderated there 1999 -2003 and since then no interest in moderating anywhere. Initially I moderated the Audio forum, but I quit after a few weeks over a disagreement with David on moderating. Later that year I tried posting under another name, but my PC had memorized my original forum name and posted under my original name, and several members welcomed me back, and a few weeks later Alan asked me to moderate a new Tweaks forum. The Tweaks forum is still available to post and find the original threads and posts: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/28-tweaks-do-yourself/index193.html

By late 1999 I started a new Special Guest feature, with Paul McGowen, PS Audio, as my first weekly Special Guest. Within some months Dave moved the existing Special Guest threads into a new and separate AVS Special Guests forum, and I continued to have weekly Special Guests with sole control and no interference from David or anyone else on my guests or moderating.

During my moderating days I was contacted almost daily by companies wanting to advertise and I told them I had no ownership interest and put them in touch with David as a forum owner handling advertising. Alan often thanked me and gave me credit for building up the forum membership.

In early 2003 I scheduled Tributaries as a Special Guest - David told me I couldn't have them as a guest because AVS had an exclusive advertising contract with Better Cables - I brought in only 1 more guest that year (2003) and I lost interest due to David's demonstrated commercial interference with my bringing in Special Guests - and Dec 2003 the forum was shut down and later erased out of existence! So unfortunately all of the Special Guests threads and posts have for years been unavailable as the forum was wiped out of existence!

Cool - someone remembers me! HA!

Last edited:
Reactions: NorthStar

hifinutt

Mar 1, 2020
Hi fi wigwam is a big one , they have their own show on 15th March in kegworth UK.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Of course not - why else do you think this website was started some years ago?

What was David’s last name again?

Wasn’t there also a Jason who worked with Alan selling pjs? I remember the rise of AVS well. Funny how things end up different 20 years later.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I “own” AudioNervosa. It’s a welcoming place. My apologies if I shouldn’t post that. I’m not trying to be persuasive, just honest. I took over because numerous people wanted to keep it alive but someone with a minor tech ability needed to do it.

Aside from that, I spend the most time in here and DIYaudio. I’ve joined many sites but don’t post as much. Frankly this one has a lot of regular action so it’s fun.

Also, personally can’t stand AVS. Steve Hoffman is decent.

Steve Bruzonsky

May 15, 2010
What was David’s last name again?

Wasn’t there also a Jason who worked with Alan selling pjs? I remember the rise of AVS well. Funny how things end up different 20 years later.

David Bott - AVS Forum was sold to Verticalscope years ago. Jason was an employee of Alan Gouger and AV Science the AV Sales company - AVS Forum was incorporated as a separate company

Reactions: KeithR

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Audioshark is good for audio.

WBF is zero for music - visit Hoffman.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I visit DIY audio and Lansing heritage.

Reactions: gian60

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
I don't know if it qualifies as relevant or not, but I like SBAF (SuperBestAudioFriends).
Great place, and lots of good info about headphone oriented stuff and DACs. Not your typical forum btw, but a great website IMO.

Reactions: hifinutt

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Just a few:
AudioCircle
AudioNirvana
Audioshark
AudioAficionado
AudioKarma
AudioAsylum (although as the name suggests it may not be sane to visit)

And of course SHForums for music especially (and the occasional laughs in the Hardware Forum)

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
not sure why Audionirvana even exists - like 10 people post there.

Audiogon has a large audience outside of WBF. Hoffman for music as mentioned. Audiocircle for smaller, direct to consumer brands.

when I started in this hobby, Audioreview was the #1 site by a mile. Things change lol.

Reactions: tima

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I don't know if it qualifies as relevant or not, but I like SBAF (SuperBestAudioFriends).
Great place, and lots of good info about headphone oriented stuff and DACs. Not your typical forum btw, but a great website IMO.

I disagree. It takes very little for them to begin a public crucifixial event of any member. I would stay away.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing