Repositioning my setup in the living room yield tremendous results

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
A few weeks ago, the talented CTO of Magico LLC, Mr. Yair Tamm, visited my house.

After a fascinating conversation about various topics, most of which are not related to audio, we turned to listen to the audio system, at the end of the listening, I asked Yeir for tips on maximizing the setup.

Yair's advised me to reverse my listening direction by 90 degrees so that at the sitting point there will be no wall close to my head, and the speakers will stand next to parallel walls (instead of the typical Israeli living rooms constellation, where one speaker finds itself next to open space and the other next to a wall/window), and in addition, the living room dresser won't be placed among the speakers.

A few days after Yair's visit, a dear friend volunteered to help with the project of disassembling and assembling the living space and the system, moving it to its new location so that it would be placed at 90 degrees from its previous location.

After tedious work (due to the weight and quantity of the components) the system was assembled so that the speakers stand parallel to the side walls and are about 70 cm away from the parallel wall next to them.

Behind the speakers is a wall and the glass showcase of the living room, covered with a thick curtain with many folds.

The audio cabinet is now placed between the speakers

In the current configuration, the distance between the tweeter to tweeter is about 2.70 cm and the distance from the listener is about 3.1 meters from the front of the speakers.
The sofa was moved, so that its place was set in front of the speakers, behind it a large space with the nearest wall being far away in the kitchen at a distance of about five meters from the listening point.

Without mincing words, the improvement I received from the new positioning is tremendous in every dimension you can think of (including the visibility of the living space which feels and looks bigger than before - even though the square footage has not changed of course). The size and depth of the stage, the neutralization of interference, and the sounds of Mid's are floating in the space with so many layers and depth in the lower notes.

The speaker's drivers work as one unit (coherent) to produce a wall of music (you can feel the stage depth and wide), while being able to increase the volume to an unimaginable intensity, and still get a clean and clear sound and tonality. Micro and macro dynamics capabilities had also increased for the better.

The amplifiers feel as if they have received huge reserves of power and as much as it may not sound logical, me and the friends who visited all claim to reduce the gap between the capabilities of the digital and those of the vinyl.

What hasn't changed is the whizzing of the system, it remains neutral on the verge of slight warmth.

A day after the change, Mr. Tamm honored me with another visit out of curiosity to listen to the change in sound that took place due to the new location (the smile and superlatives left no doubt about his opinion of the result).

For me, this is the biggest upgrade I've received in sound (and I think also in the appearance of the space, which looks bigger and more open than ever), and this at a cost of 0 (if you don't count a busy back).

In short, I recommend to those who can play with the direction of your system, who knows, you might make a big profit.

Here are some pictures before (first pic) and after the placement change

Attachments

• IMG_20200622_152134_387_resized.jpg
    IMG_20200622_152134_387_resized.jpg
    594.3 KB · Views: 120
  • Screenshot_20220822-115816_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20220822-115816_Instagram.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 118
  • Screenshot_20220822-115831_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20220822-115831_Instagram.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 114

Paret

Jan 1, 2022
Very nice setup. Congratulations.

So glad you found your rooms acoustical fit for your system.

Makes a huge difference, doesn’t it?

Enjoy.

Reactions: exupgh12

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Very nice setup. Congratulations.

So glad you found your rooms acoustical fit for your system.

Makes a huge difference, doesn’t it?

Enjoy.
I would say it’s critical if you want to get most of your system.

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Reactions: ddk

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
...Luxman and Magico is a great combo. Very musical. Have fun with the new arrangement. A "new" system for free!
It really feels like a new system, best upgrade I ever had.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkusBarkus

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
A few weeks ago, the talented CTO of Magico LLC, Mr. Yair Tamm, visited my house.

After a fascinating conversation about various topics, most of which are not related to audio, we turned to listen to the audio system, at the end of the listening, I asked Yeir for tips on maximizing the setup.

Yair's advised me to reverse my listening direction by 90 degrees so that at the sitting point there will be no wall close to my head, and the speakers will stand next to parallel walls (instead of the typical Israeli living rooms constellation, where one speaker finds itself next to open space and the other next to a wall/window), and in addition, the living room dresser won't be placed among the speakers.

A few days after Yair's visit, a dear friend volunteered to help with the project of disassembling and assembling the living space and the system, moving it to its new location so that it would be placed at 90 degrees from its previous location.

After tedious work (due to the weight and quantity of the components) the system was assembled so that the speakers stand parallel to the side walls and are about 70 cm away from the parallel wall next to them.

Behind the speakers is a wall and the glass showcase of the living room, covered with a thick curtain with many folds.

The audio cabinet is now placed between the speakers

In the current configuration, the distance between the tweeter to tweeter is about 2.70 cm and the distance from the listener is about 3.1 meters from the front of the speakers.
The sofa was moved, so that its place was set in front of the speakers, behind it a large space with the nearest wall being far away in the kitchen at a distance of about five meters from the listening point.

Without mincing words, the improvement I received from the new positioning is tremendous in every dimension you can think of (including the visibility of the living space which feels and looks bigger than before - even though the square footage has not changed of course). The size and depth of the stage, the neutralization of interference, and the sounds of Mid's are floating in the space with so many layers and depth in the lower notes.

The speaker's drivers work as one unit (coherent) to produce a wall of music (you can feel the stage depth and wide), while being able to increase the volume to an unimaginable intensity, and still get a clean and clear sound and tonality. Micro and macro dynamics capabilities had also increased for the better.

The amplifiers feel as if they have received huge reserves of power and as much as it may not sound logical, me and the friends who visited all claim to reduce the gap between the capabilities of the digital and those of the vinyl.

What hasn't changed is the whizzing of the system, it remains neutral on the verge of slight warmth.

A day after the change, Mr. Tamm honored me with another visit out of curiosity to listen to the change in sound that took place due to the new location (the smile and superlatives left no doubt about his opinion of the result).

For me, this is the biggest upgrade I've received in sound (and I think also in the appearance of the space, which looks bigger and more open than ever), and this at a cost of 0 (if you don't count a busy back).

In short, I recommend to those who can play with the direction of your system, who knows, you might make a big profit.

Here are some pictures before (first pic) and after the placement change
Great Success! I have been witnessing a big surprise with proper set up in my Thai audio group chat (no less than 30 Magico base systems.) too. There is one room with probably the same speakers as yours that imo kill the much more expensive models of the same brand but in different rooms. Here is a very modest system using just integrated Soulution amp and dac that also come with the amp. Giant killer room a result of proper setup and gear matching.

05D79F52-540B-4D4A-B064-3ED15BC6DD55.jpeg

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations exupgh12! That is a wonderful outcome! It is great when a major sonic improvement costs nothing except some time and effort!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) For me, this is the biggest upgrade I've received in sound (and I think also in the appearance of the space, which looks bigger and more open than ever), and this at a cost of 0 (if you don't count a busy back). (...)

If your friend is still in good friendship, it should not be a real problem!

I congratulate you on taking the gear out of the space between the speakers. Perhaps it is psychological, but I always find that a system sounds better when I do not see equipmemnt between the speakers. Unfortunately it needs longer cables, but for my system it is mandatory. :)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

I congratulate you on taking the gear out of the space between the speakers. Perhaps it is psychological, but I always find that a system sounds better when I do not see equipmemnt between the speakers. Unfortunately it needs longer cables, but for my system it is mandatory. :)

Unless I am misreading it, the new configuration has the rack between the speakers and he prefers the sound.

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Great Success! I have been witnessing a big surprise with proper set up in my Thai audio group chat (no less than 30 Magico base systems.) too. There is one room with probably the same speakers as yours that imo kill the much more expensive models of the same brand but in different rooms. Here is a very modest system using just integrated Soulution amp and dac that also come with the amp. Giant killer room a result of proper setup and gear matching.

View attachment 97228
A good setup layout and a supportive acoustics environment are worth more than most or all upgrades.

Beautiful room in the picture, love the esthetics.

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Congratulations exupgh12! That is a wonderful outcome! It is great when a major sonic improvement costs nothing except some time and effort!
Thank you Ron.
So many times we are after the next thing while neglecting the trivial - positioning and acoustics.
I was lucky enough to receive advice from someone who literally knows my speaker's true capabilities to perform in the right condition.

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019

Actually, during the test, we made the rack on the side, and yes it sounded better but the distance between speakers was only 2M due to the speaker cable's length.
Unfortunately, i do not poses long enough speaker cables for such a configuration, something to aspire for in the future.

Reactions: microstrip

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Unless I am misreading it, the new configuration has the rack between the speakers and he prefers the sound.
the TV rack\dresser was between the speaker at the old configuration (the system rack was on the side).
In the new configuration, the system rack is in the middle while the TV rack\dresser had been left on the right parallel wall.

Reactions: PeterA

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Congratulations on the upgrade! We are happy to see that people are talking more about acoustic properties and treatment :)
I think that's because:

a. discussing equipment is more "sexy".
b most of us don't have a dedicated listening room - compromising on living room space and design\look\decoration with other family members is a reality for most, that reality is not always an audiophile dream

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I think that's because:

a. discussing equipment is more "sexy".
b most of us don't have a dedicated listening room - compromising on living room space and design\look\decoration with other family members is a reality for most, that reality is not always an audiophile dream
I don't have a dedicated room either. There are some tricks that we can do though. Damping the TV reflection, bookshelves in key areas, carpets, buying your wife jewellery...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing