Resolution....

Resolution would be hearing more of what’s on the recording.
Exactly. When you hear more into the recording, up to the point when you can hear different recording sessions spliced together, when the voice sounds thinner and the instrumentation more full, when one element is close mic’d vs further, as in the recording…. Is awesome.

Being able to pick something in a recording like a solo singer in a chorus or a single instrument in a complex composition and follow it.

What we all do on New Years and don't follow through.

Rob :)

• Haha
Reactions: PeterA
Resolution allows a listener to differentiate all elements of recorded sound based on frequency, timing and amplitude. The more accurately those 3 components are reproduced i.e without distortion and without interference, the better the brain can differentiate between sounds based on small differences in tone, spacial position and interrelated amplitudes. For example a reflected sound based on the primary sound’s amplitude, the delay in hearing the reflection, the amplitude of the reflection and the reflection’s tonal spectral shift. When all those elements are correct, you’ll hear a good rendition of the music with the performance venue well resolved. Any distortions in amplitude, tonal accuracy and phase (timing) will blur those subtle differences, which you’ll then hear as a form of distortion rather than as venue detail.
When a system suffers from lack of resolution, those unresolved details don‘t disappear, rather they are just combined with and therefore distort other parts of the music. When the sounds can be properly separated from one another by the brain they are said to be resolved.

Last edited:
Being able to pick something in a recording like a solo singer in a chorus or a single instrument in a complex composition and follow it.

What we all do on New Years and don't follow through.

Rob :)

I just acquired an Audion Super Sterling KT120 single ended pentode amp.

Over my Pass X150.8, It’s presenting resolution that is a marked improvement like hearing an oboe’s wood body vibrate with its reed, experience hyper real voices and a bonus, spatial cues thats even more tangible. I wasnt expecting much over satiating my curiosity of this amp. Quite pleased.

Enjoying my Sunday morning.

Dynavector 20x2L
Allnic H1202 phono pre
Allnic L3000 preamp
Audion Super Sterling KT120 20th Anniv SE amp
Devore Gibbon X speakers
Type 44 cable
Bluejeans Interconnects
Shunyata cords

Last edited:
Reactions: Robh3606
I just acquired an Audion Super Sterling KT120 single ended pentode amp.

Over my Pass X150.8, It’s presenting resolution that is a marked improvement like hearing an oboe’s wood body vibrate with its reed, experience hyper real voices and a bonus, spa cues that even more tangible. I wasnt expecting much over satiating my curiosity of this amp. Quite pleased.

Enjoying my Sunday morning.

Dynavector 20x2L
Allnic H1202 phono pre
Allnic L3000 preamp
Audion Super Sterling KT120 20th Anniv SE amp
Devore Gibbon X speakers
Type 44 cable
Bluejeans Interconnects
Shunyata cords
I’m happy for you on your new purchase.

Reactions: Peguinpower
A state of being which allows one to see and/or hear beyond the BS?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing