bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
The best Rock and Roll band of all times .
AC DC Live wire Bon Scott ( you tube streaming )

(Im not saying its the best SQ )

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Okay another one , i ve got it on many CD s LP s and Tapes i ve got 3 versions on tape ( tape is the best )

CD Deep purple Child in time

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

Crank 'em all the way up.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Yeah, it's an inferior-engineered recording but even such recordings have levels of musicality to them. Whe you crank up the volume.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Yeah, it's an inferior-engineered recording but even such recordings have levels of musicality to them. Whe you crank up the volume.

Why does the volume always need to be cranked up? Is it music choice or does the system need to be loud to be enjoyed? I don’t need to play videos loudly to understand what the system is doing.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Why does the volume always need to be cranked up? Is it music choice or does the system need to be loud to be enjoyed? I don’t need to play videos loudly to understand what the system is doing.
Of course you absolutely do. You’ve asked this before and I responded but this time I’ll respond a bit differently.

Let’s say for sake of argument you’re in search of a fine sports car and you’ve the opportunity to evaluate the latest Bugatti Veyron model on a local track. Do you drive the Veyron limiting your speed to 55 mph or do you stress the car and track designs to their and your limits?

Or let’s say for sake of argument you already own a Veyron and you’ve been invited to bring it to a newly designed track. Do you keep your speed around 55 mph max or do you attempt to take the Veyron and track to its potential limits?

Which is more telling? Can’t most any vehicle handle 55 mph without much difficulty? If that’s all you’re willing to give it, where’s the challenge? That question applies your own skills, the vehicle, and the track. Speaking of which, how is your knowledge, understanding, skill level, etc ever expected to expand or improve if you’re only willing to drive 55?

Does any of this imply the Veyron or track is to be driven balls-to-the-walls pedal-to-the-medal at all times? Of course not. For there is a certain pleasure and relaxation and safety driving at 55 mph. But you’re certainly not able to evaluate much of anything at that speed and at the same time you’ve stripped away most everything the sport has to offer.

It also pays to ask, how did the Veyron designers intend the car be driven? Same question with the track designers.

Or is it your argument that since scientists have discovered the risk of injury and death go up when driving fast, all driving and racing should be limited to a conservative speed like 55 mph?

Regardless of the above, the musicians, producers, and engineers all agreed to some extent how loud the live performance ought to be and recorded. Are you suggesting they should have consulted you and your friends first?

Gotta’ remember, Peter. This industry is (or was) supposedly called high-end audio for a reason.

Reactions: chet atkins

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Hi Peter! Some believe rock music (as just one LOUD example) should be played back as close to the live recording level as a system - and listener preference - allows.* This is hopefully consistent with playback of unamplified music at the level one would hear it in its natural setting. Of course, few are the hifi rigs that can encompass the full range of music types successfully imo.

*Here's an excerpt from Martin Colloms 12/91 article BASSO PROFUNDO from Stereophile

As Peter Walker has concisely stated, "there is only one correct volume level for any particular piece of music." Taking into account listening-room acoustics, the original recording technique, etc., in theory there is just one volume level which places the dynamic music envelope correctly in the characteristic curves. A particular instrument was played at a particular loudness, and a matching tonality should be reproduced at a matched level relative to the listener and his expected location. Only then will the instrument sound natural, and the normal dynamics of musical expression be reproduced in the expected range.

(https://www.stereophile.com/content/basso-profundo-page-2)

Kind regards
Actually, the same concept applies to all genres and music.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Of course you absolutely do. You’ve asked this before and I responded but this time I’ll respond a bit differently.

Let’s say for sake of argument you’re in search of a fine sports car and you’ve the opportunity to evaluate the latest Bugatti Veyron model on a local track. Do you drive the Veyron limiting your speed to 55 mph or do you stress the car and track designs to their and your limits?

Or let’s say for sake of argument you already own a Veyron and you’ve been invited to bring it to a newly designed track. Do you keep your speed around 55 mph max or do you attempt to take the Veyron and track to its potential limits?

Which is more telling? Can’t most any vehicle handle 55 mph without much difficulty? If that’s all you’re willing to give it, where’s the challenge? That question applies your own skills, the vehicle, and the track. Speaking of which, how is your knowledge, understanding, skill level, etc ever expected to expand or improve if you’re only willing to drive 55?

Does any of this imply the Veyron or track is to be driven balls-to-the-walls pedal-to-the-medal at all times? Of course not. For there is a certain pleasure and relaxation and safety driving at 55 mph. But you’re certainly not able to evaluate much of anything at that speed and at the same time you’ve stripped away most everything the sport has to offer.

It also pays to ask, how did the Veyron designers intend the car be driven? Same question with the track designers.

Or is it your argument that since scientists have discovered the risk of injury and death go up when driving fast, all driving and racing should be limited to a conservative speed like 55 mph?

Regardless of the above, the musicians, producers, and engineers all agreed to some extent how loud the live performance ought to be and recorded. Are you suggesting they should have consulted you and your friends first?

Gotta’ remember, Peter. This industry is (or was) supposedly called high-end audio for a reason.

I understand that, but unlike Ron Resnick who plays back videos on his main system, I listen to them on my computer and cranking them doesn’t necessarily help understand what the system is doing. You generally post pop and rock music that is digital so I can understand why you would want to play it loudly, but I don’t need to do that when other people send me their system videos of piano sonatas and string quartets or choral music.

your car analogy is interesting. You’re saying push it to the limits to do a proper test. That is fine if I am evaluating a new pair of speakers or a turntable or whatever. Here you’re asking me to crank my computer speakers or my iPhone speaker Where are my headphones. I don’t want to get a headache listening to your pop digital music cranked on these inferior replay systems.

playing records on the main system is a different matter and I try to approach a fairly realistic volume level.

Last edited:

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
I understand that,
Excellent. What is it that you understand? And how does your understanding apply to this performance-oriented pursuit?

but unlike Ron Resnick who plays back videos on his main system,
As I recall earlier in his video-coupling thread Ron said that he listened via his iPhone's built-in speaker and more recently I coulda' swore he said he was listening via some computer desktop speakers.

I listen to them on my computer and cranking them doesn’t necessarily help understand what the system is doing.
Oh, that's right. I remember you mentioning once how you were judging the quality of a video's bass based how much your desktop speakers vibrated. Really?

As for "cranking them" videos not necessarily helping you understand what the system is doing, what's your idea of "cranking" and what exactly are you listening for?

You generally post pop and rock music...
I generally post numerous genres but a bit more frequently I'll post pop/rock. Mostly because those are more challenging. Assuming of course we're listening to our playback presentations near live performance volume levels. Which should always be the case when evaluating a playback presentation.

... that is digital so I can understand why you would want to play it loudly,
Hmmmmm. When sound is broadcast into the listening room and traveling toward the little stereo mic, it's all analog, right? This is a new concept to me and on its face sounds a bit silly. Please explain your understanding here about how digital makes any difference about anything here.

but I don’t need to do that when other people send me their system videos of piano sonatas and string quartets or choral music.
Of course you do. Unless perhaps performance really doesn't matter to you, your idea of performance is a bit skewed, or perhaps you're living in the land of make-believe?

You said you understood what I was saying in my previous post so let's go back to the car and track analogies for a moment. If you were a Formula 1 driver with this same performance mindset, what place do you think you'd finish the race?

Better yet, why not articulate why in this supposed high-end performance-oriented industry playback volume levels approaching the live performance should be of no benefit to you and others? While answering that think again, what exactly are you listening for at these low volume levels? It certainly can't be low-level detail so we can scratch most of the ambient info and subtle nuances off the list right now.

Reactions: chet atkins

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Excellent. What is it that you understand? And how does your understanding apply to this performance-oriented pursuit?
I understand that to fully evaluate system performance, one might want to listen to live or near live volume levels. A system that can do this without distortion is good.
As I recall earlier in his video-coupling thread Ron said that he listened via his iPhone's built-in speaker and more recently I coulda' swore he said he was listening via some computer desktop speakers.

you should ask Ron how he listens to these videos. I read that Bonzo convinced him to listen to the videos through his main system. I don’t know if he actually does that

Oh, that's right. I remember you mentioning once how you were judging the quality of a video's bass based how much your desktop speakers vibrated. Really?
I don’t have desktop speakers

As for "cranking them" videos not necessarily helping you understand what the system is doing, what's your idea of "cranking" and what exactly are you listening for?
I cannot play videos at near live volumes over my computer. The computer system is not capable of producing such volumes without distortion or giving me a headache

I generally post numerous genres but a bit more frequently I'll post pop/rock. Mostly because those are more challenging. Assuming of course we're listening to our playback presentations near live performance volume levels. Which should always be the case when evaluating a playback presentation.

I agree when talking about the main system. But here I am talking about evaluating videos over my computer

Hmmmmm. When sound is broadcast into the listening room and traveling toward the little stereo mic, it's all analog, right? This is a new concept to me and on its face sounds a bit silly. Please explain your understanding here about how digital makes any difference about anything here.

yes the sound waves that the microphone captures are analog, but your source in your videos I think is digital. I don’t see an analog source in your system videos but they are dark so I don’t really know. I find I have to play your videos louder than other videos to enjoy them and to hear what is going on I think it has something to do with your music choice and your system.
Of course you do. Unless perhaps performance really doesn't matter to you, your idea of performance is a bit skewed, or perhaps you're living in the land of make-believe?

You can think whatever you want.

You said you understood what I was saying in my previous post so let's go back to the car and track analogies for a moment. If you were a Formula 1 driver with this same performance mindset, what place do you think you'd finish the race?

we are talking about iPhone videos played back on my desktop computer. We’re not talking about high-performance automobile on a race track. The analogy would be closer if e were discussing main systems of a high-quality.
Better yet, why not articulate why in this supposed high-end performance-oriented industry playback volume levels approaching the live performance should be of no benefit to you and others? While answering that think again, what exactly are you listening for at these low volume levels? It certainly can't be low-level detail so we can scratch most of the ambient info and subtle nuances off the list right now.

I am all for playing back my records at near to live or live volume levels. But that is my main system where my horn speakers have extremely low levels of distortion. That is very different from my computer speakers.

Reactions: tima

rgmd11

Mar 30, 2017
live and raw, drums kick in around 2.43

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
I understand that to fully evaluate system performance, one might want to listen to live or near live volume levels. A system that can do this without distortion is good.

you should ask Ron how he listens to these videos. I read that Bonzo convinced him to listen to the videos through his main system. I don’t know if he actually does that

I don’t have desktop speakers

I cannot play videos at near live volumes over my computer. The computer system is not capable of producing such volumes without distortion or giving me a headache

I agree when talking about the main system. But here I am talking about evaluating videos over my computer

yes the sound waves that the microphone captures are analog, but your source in your videos I think is digital. I don’t see an analog source in your system videos but they are dark so I don’t really know. I find I have to play your videos louder than other videos to enjoy them and to hear what is going on I think it has something to do with your music choice and your system.

You can think whatever you want.

we are talking about iPhone videos played back on my desktop computer. We’re not talking about high-performance automobile on a race track. The analogy would be closer if e were discussing main systems of a high-quality.

I am all for playing back my records at near to live or live volume levels. But that is my main system where my horn speakers have extremely low levels of distortion. That is very different from my computer speakers.
Too funny, Peter. Anyway, I’m just gonna’ point out a few more things and then move on.

1. It seems you’re doing your analytical listening of others’ videos using your computer’s speakers rather than a reasonable (think musical) set of headphones.

2. It seems you’re listening to these videos via your computer’s speakers at significantly lower than live performance volume levels.

Not that either sonic restriction seems to hinder your imagination but upon which you then publish your criticisms of others’ videos as though you’re contributing some sort of constructive performance eval?

This among other things like your admission that you’re unable to correlate any similarities between the attributes of a high-end audio performance-oriented mindset (including in-room videos) that should be common with perhaps any other performance-oriented industry lead me to one conclusion. Well, actually it’s the same conclusion I’ve suspected for years.

As you said, I can think whatever I want. But perhaps the question you ought to consider asking yourself is, what evidence is there that substantiates the level of engagement you think you genuinely put into this performance-oriented hobby?

Reactions: Scott Naylor

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I will let Graham’s two videos do the talking. There are a lot of videos on this thread. These two are among the best, IMO.
Thanks for reminding me just how much I love those tracks and kinds of music Peter… I’ve been in a bit of a full on search for some of the greater string quartets, quintets and sextets over the last month or so and there’s remarkably few drum highlights to be had in the world of string chamber music lol.

There’s definitely no shortage of greatness in all types of music that’s been made even just looking into the last few centuries. I’m realising there’s zero chance to cram anything more than a small chunk of it into just one lifetime of listening.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterA

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Too funny, Peter. Anyway, I’m just gonna’ point out a few more things and then move on.

1. It seems you’re doing your analytical listening of others’ videos using your computer’s speakers rather than a reasonable (think musical) set of headphones.

2. It seems you’re listening to these videos via your computer’s speakers at significantly lower than live performance volume levels.

Not that either sonic restriction seems to hinder your imagination but upon which you then publish your criticisms of others’ videos as though you’re contributing some sort of constructive performance eval?

This among other things like your admission that you’re unable to correlate any similarities between the attributes of a high-end audio performance-oriented mindset (including in-room videos) that should be common with perhaps any other performance-oriented industry lead me to one conclusion. Well, actually it’s the same conclusion I’ve suspected for years.

As you said, I can think whatever I want. But perhaps the question you ought to consider asking yourself is, what evidence is there that substantiates the level of engagement you think you genuinely put into this performance-oriented hobby?

Stehno, I used to listen to my Sennheiser headphones, sometimes with a dedicated headphone amplifier and sometimes not. And then I came to realize I got a better impression from just listening to my computer. I would not want to listen to either one at 90+ DB for your pop rock videos. That is just too loud for my ears. You talk about performance, but I don’t know anyone who listens that loudly through those types of devices. Our main hi end audio systems are a different matter entirely.

None of my evaluations or judgments about videos has anything to do with my imagination. My comments are based on what I hear. Plain and simple. We are allowed to share our opinions here even if they don’t agree with others. That’s the beauty of an audio forum.

Yes, it’s a good idea to move on.

Last edited:

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
I will let Graham’s two videos do the talking. There are a lot of videos on this thread. These two are among the best, IMO.
There you go showing your true colors again, Peter. FWIW, aside from a reaonably musical bass, that second piece was downright atrocious at times.

If you’re gonna’ listen to any in-room videos with the intention of sharing your thoughts, I think you’d be doing yourself a huge favor if at the very least you start listening with reasonable quality headphones. Oh, yeah. And of course crank the volume up to perceived live volume levels.

p.s.
DM me if you wanna’ know why you get headaches when listening.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

I’m pretty sure this is what high-end audio is really all about. Ok…., maybe deep down.

Anyway, give ‘er all the juice you got. Though you may encounter a hot spot or two (I’m playing with a new product) I can assure you that your hearing won’t be any more impaired than before. Unless perhaps you play it over and over at that same volume.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing