Videos: Chaconne Challenge

Kujiken on AS 2000, Lamm Vitavox
This one caught me by surprise how good it is. More musical and hence lifelike than the other ones.

Reactions: tima
Can we have catalog numbers in the video notes so we know if we are listening to the same recordings?

The Kujiken Harmonia Mundi is the same? The box set that currently goes for circa 200.

The Haito is a rare private press I chased the General for, and after getting one recommended Tang to get one from G. It tales a while to source one.

I think I preferred the one with Elysium then

Hi, I just listened to my past videos after getting back. Of the common one (Dava Beethoven concerto and cadenza), the Elysium does have a video magic. The Vyger RS also did some nice tonality with it.

In physical listening, we had compared a couple of tracks back then, both amps had sounded good, and now, the overall system was better in terms of balance and long listening. That could have been for multiple small reasons. Plus the Alieno pre and power is matched, while with ELysium we never had the Trafomatic preamp.

The 300b allows for a greater change in tonality of course. But I do agree with you that video wise, the previous videos have some factors. Overall, I could do with either amp in this set up.

Please feel free to add system videos, not youtube videos of performers playing, to this thread playing Chaconne.

It is interesting to to hear such different presentations from these various horn based systems. The iPhone system videos make differences very clear. I also enjoy hearing the different performances and recordings. I have seen various Kujiken Harmonia Mundi box covers but do not know if they sound different. I have a Gidon Kemer on Philips that I may record to add to this thread. He plays it quite differently.

Thank you Thundersnow. I appreciate that. It is a good recording: Harmonia Mundi DHL 20401.03
I immediately searched it on Qobuz after hearing it. Listening to it now. Fantastic recording.

It is interesting to to hear such different presentations from these various horn based systems. The iPhone system videos make differences very clear. I also enjoy hearing the different performances and recordings. I have seen various Kujiken Harmonia Mundi box covers but do not know if they sound different. I have a Gidon Kemer on Philips that I may record to add to this thread. He plays it quite differently.
the French one https://www.discogs.com/release/402...es-et-Partitas-Pour-Violon-Seul-BWV-1001-1006

The German one is a DMM.

Reactions: mtemur
This is the one I have with the black cover. It is French. Superb sounding and I like the performance too. It would be nice to have the same recording on your various videos for more accurate comparisons, but I enjoy hearing the different performances too.

It is usually the same recording that I carry, as I don’t want to risk my Haitto. But in this case Audioquattr already has a Haitto.

Also I keep some recordings constant to show system differences while some I try new. Over here you can see the Beethoven violin concerto videos consistent across three trips.

I just listened through all of these videos again so that I can comment. I like the Kujiken ones more than the Haitto. Perhaps it is the recording. The Altec Kujiken is quite good with great flow and tone but the bass is a bit homogenized for me, so it lacks a bit of mass. Otherwise, very good. Of the Haitto recordings, I like the Cessaro best but again here the bass is light lacking weight/body or mass. Tang's is way too bright with overly emphasized highs. I do not know what is causing that, but I am not familiar with the recording. His other videos with the Cessaro sounded pretty good.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu