Rockport Technologies Introduces Orion Loudspeaker

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Nice Video

The Lyra and the Orion certainly have absolutely heroic cabinets (as well as very sophisticated component technology), but an interesting relatively new competitor may have achieved similar results with a different approach at a fraction of the cost - Acora Acoustics with their granite enclosures.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I am scientist. University Professor , I publish a lot in my topic.
I read a lot in all other subjects of my interest. One of them is audio , That is why I know.

I agree with you , there are many ways to skin the cat , but some are better then others .
Every company tries to find something unique as most of things are patented !
They dont want to get in trouble.

In general the less vibration the better.
For that easy cure is
1 . Big mass.
2. some viscoleastic material to dampen it.
3. sendwiching it to genearte sheer for any resonances.
4. adding reinforcements.
But this is very complex problem so there is no place here to explan it all.

Some examples of articles you need to read starting with very old one :

There are few hundreds articles I checked long ago, so in summery your simple question has no short answer and needs many pages of explanation.
Why dont you read it yourself ?

If I dont know I check what is published. All we know as humanity is published somwere.
I guess it's my turn to brag :) I'm a musician, an engineer (biomedical/electrical/ computer science), an avid audiophile for ~40 years (for better or worse). WRT music, more often than not I can tell what piano, guitar, etc. type were employed, I can tell when drummers' timing is off (and when it comes back into the groove), I know how instruments should and do sound, I recorded at and had my own home studio, and FWIW I have Synesthesia (common amongst musicians). So please drop the - I'm more qualified than you so let me show you what to read attitude.

At the end of the day, better sonics specific to cabinet materials / assembly techniques is far from a finalized "best practice for best sonics" standard. Some companies use cabinet resonance(s) to achieve their sonic signature, others believe less cabinet mass = better quality driving the inherent resonances to upper frequencies and out of the audible band. Net - your generalization is the simple basic approach, not necessarily the best, again - more than one way to skin a cat.

What I do know is this - As Materials Science delivers more sophisticated composites along with advanced manufacturing technics driving cabinet and driver distortions ever - lower, we are realizing that there's more to great transducers to yield realistic and best sounding music that evokes emotion. I'm betting none of your linked articles capture that sentiment. ;-)

Have a great one and enjoy! :)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I think vivid is a very good example / possibly the best in the bizz , as to what you can achieve with relative lightweight housings .

Reactions: sbo6

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
I guess it's my turn to brag :) I'm a musician, an engineer (biomedical/electrical/ computer science), an avid audiophile for ~40 years (for better or worse). WRT music, more often than not I can tell what piano, guitar, etc. type were employed, I can tell when drummers' timing is off (and when it comes back into the groove), I know how instruments should and do sound, I recorded at and had my own home studio, and FWIW I have Synesthesia (common amongst musicians). So please drop the - I'm more qualified than you so let me show you what to read attitude.

At the end of the day, better sonics specific to cabinet materials / assembly techniques is far from a finalized "best practice for best sonics" standard. Some companies use cabinet resonance(s) to achieve their sonic signature, others believe less cabinet mass = better quality driving the inherent resonances to upper frequencies and out of the audible band. Net - your generalization is the simple basic approach, not necessarily the best, again - more than one way to skin a cat.

What I do know is this - As Materials Science delivers more sophisticated composites along with advanced manufacturing technics driving cabinet and driver distortions ever - lower, we are realizing that there's more to great transducers to yield realistic and best sounding music that evokes emotion. I'm betting none of your linked articles capture that sentiment. ;-)

Have a great one and enjoy! :)

You have a great one. Auditioned Vivid G1 last year and almost purchesed it , I liked it that much.
It is in my top 3.
But before I decided to pay for Vivid I took a long trip to audition Alsyvox Boticelli in other country and after that one more trip ecross Europe to audition Rocport Lyra And YG Sonia 2.3
So I took my time to pick whats best for me.

To me any additional vibration and resonance is kind of coloration in laudspeakers.
I like that in musical instrumnts a lot as it gives them individuality, and harmonics reachness, but if it is in a speaker it is changing a little bit tonality , adds this coloration to the recorded sound. So at the end it is not identical To what was recorded. I might be just sensitive to that.
One more thing was important that metallic cones are unfortunately not for me . I love the speakers and their sound a lot with metallic cones in general, but I perceive this tiny bit of metallic texture as fatiguing in longer sessions. I wish That was not the case as I could save a lot of money buying something else.

There is no good mesure for musical emotions creation . I wish there was, but I must say that one of the WBF members mentioned long ago that he was setting thausends of systems in others homes
in his life and the best sounding and creating emotions were always the Vivid G1speakers.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
I think vivid is a very good example / possibly the best in the bizz , as to what you can achieve with relative lightweight housings .
Absolutely. Just the guy holds the patents so others cant use it .
He designed world famous B&W Nautilus in the past so he knows what to do.

Reactions: Young Skywalker

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
You have a great one. Auditioned Vivid G1 last year and almost purchesed it , I liked it that much.
It is in my top 3.
But before I decided to pay for Vivid I took a long trip to audition Alsyvox Boticelli in other country and after that one more trip ecross Europe to audition Rocport Lyra And YG Sonia 2.3
So I took my time to pick whats best for me.

To me any additional vibration and resonance is kind of coloration in laudspeakers.
I like that in musical instrumnts a lot as it gives them individuality, and harmonics reachness, but if it is in a speaker it is changing a little bit tonality , adds this coloration to the recorded sound. So at the end it is not identical To what was recorded. I might be just sensitive to that.
One more thing was important that metallic cones are unfortunately not for me . I love the speakers and their sound a lot with metallic cones in general, but I perceive this tiny bit of metallic texture as fatiguing in longer sessions. I wish That was not the case as I could save a lot of money buying something else.

There is no good mesure for musical emotions creation . I wish there was, but I must say that one of the WBF members mentioned long ago that he was setting thausends of systems in others homes
in his life and the best sounding and creating emotions were always the Vivid G1speakers.
I like your choices. I also demo'd many speakers before moving to Vivid including Rockport, Wilson, EAs, YGs, Von Schweikerts, Vandersteen, etc. To me, the most realistic and effortless for the $$ was Vivid Giyas (about tie with Vandersteens but different flavor in sound). But Rockports are very, very good, no doubt.

Also, IMO / IME all speakers are a compromise in multiple areas - a few being dynamics (e.g.: planars) and "boxiness" (cones in closed box) etc. Net - there is no perfect speaker.

Finally, cabinet resonance is one of several compromises / challenges faced with all speakers. For example - all box speakers have that burden irrespective of how low cabinet vibrations may be versus omnis / dipoles. There are + from speakers like Maggies and Alsyvox (I'm sure even though I haven't heard them) that cabinets with drivers simply can't achieve with ~50% of the drivers' energy bouncing around a little cabinet continually. Can't change physics :)

Enjoy!!!

kevinkwann

Oct 14, 2010
Kidneystone-on-Trent
One more thing was important that metallic cones are unfortunately not for me . I love the speakers and their sound a lot with metallic cones in general, but I perceive this tiny bit of metallic texture as fatiguing in longer sessions.
Given that the Lyra has beryllium tweeters, perhaps you're not as sensitive to metallic drivers (and the fatigue you believe they create) as you thought.

Reactions: MadFloyd

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
a few years ago I could realistically consider buying a pair of Rockport speakers. Current hi end pricing strategy leaves me feeling smarter about my buying decisions shopping more conventional brands.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Given that the Lyra has beryllium tweeters, perhaps you're not as sensitive to metallic drivers (and the fatigue you believe they create) as you thought.

As a general rule I do not care for beryllium anything in loudspeakers. Sooner or later I find them a touch edgy or harsh or hard or metallic.

Somehow Andy Payor's beryllium tweeters are the exception to this general rule for me. I truly don't know how Andy does it. I find Rockport Arrakis and Lyra endlessly musical and non-fatiguing.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
As a general rule I do not care for beryllium anything in loudspeakers. Sooner or later I find them a touch edgy or harsh or hard or metallic.

Somehow Andy Payor's beryllium tweeters are the exception to this general rule for me. I truly don't know how Andy does it. I find Rockport Arrakis and Lyra endlessly musical and non-fatiguing.
So do I. If I were in the market for speakers, Rockport would be my first choice.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
The new Orion surprised me.
First by the fabulous sonic performance.
Then by its high price.
o_O

Reactions: MadFloyd

Kris

Mar 4, 2019

Thank you Ron for that opinion. I feel the same.
This is an exact reason I got Lyra. Endless pleasure.
Andy tuned the crossover to his taste and added the tweeter wave guide to change the characteristics. It almost dosnt sound like Berillium anymore.

People read that it has a berillium tweeter and they think they how it sounds without hearing it.
„This is human and this is human they are the same ” well not exactly,

I dont trust anyones opinion , I take their good experience AND I test it all myself.
Last 10 years I am testing everything I can . All the time I can.
Only if it really works for me I pay for it,

There are only 2 friends here that are exception to that.
I trust their ears so can buy based on their opinion.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States

I think that beryllium tweeters can be unfairly maligned as my sense is that the execution is just as important as the material. It's true, that the inverted Focal beryllium tweeter in particular has a notoriously mixed reputation and yet it was widely used in many loudspeakers. Wilson was able to tame their behavior to a considerable degree, but I never thought their top end was a sweet as the Rockports (which use beryllium but not an inverted design.) I think Dave and Daryl understood that as well which is why they eventually transitioned to their silk dome Convergent Synergy series several years ago. The Synergy tweeter was first used in the XLF and further modified for the Alexx V, (which I use now) where it's performance makes the Alexandria top end seem much cruder, less "pure" and therefore significantly more colored by comparison.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
I think that beryllium tweeters can be unfairly maligned as my sense is that the execution is just as important as the material. It's true, that the inverted Focal beryllium tweeter in particular has a notoriously mixed reputation and yet it was widely used in many loudspeakers. Wilson was able to tame their behavior to a considerable degree, but I never thought their top end was a sweet as the Rockports (which use beryllium but not an inverted design.) I think Dave and Daryl understood that as well which is why they eventually transitioned to their silk dome Convergent Synergy series several years ago. The Synergy tweeter was first used in the XLF and further modified for the Alexx V, (which I use now) where it's performance makes the Alexandria top end seem much cruder, less "pure" and therefore significantly more colored by comparison.

Very true.
I was considering the top Wilsons many times in my journey,
but could never fall in love with them.
Rockports met all I could ever wanted from a speaker and exceeded my expectations by a big margin after modifying cables and network in my system.

BR549

Dec 3, 2019
I have and love the Beryllium tweeters in my TAD R-1s, and in fact, that's one of the reasons why I'm interested in Rockport. Prior to the R-1s, I had the CR-1s and loved them also.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I don't care for beryllium tweeters as a rule. I don't know how Andy Payor does it, but his beryllium tweeter is the only beryllium tweeter I like.

Reactions: Kris

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I don't care for beryllium tweeters as a rule. I don't know how Andy Payor does it, but his beryllium tweeter is the only beryllium tweeter I like.

the only beryllium I like is in some horns which makes them very high resolution for nuances, and see through, electrostat like. TAD 4003 would probably be the best of them, the top Goto drivers have them, and at lower prices drivers like Radian add beryllium diaphragms which can be found in hORNs universum

Kris

Mar 4, 2019

I agree 100% with you Ron. This is very different tweeter based on berillium.
There is someting that Andy does to his speakers making it always a mastepiece.
After so many years , being dedicated to one goal he found his own way of delivering top products with its own characteristics that is so attractive to many of us.
Funny but once you get those speakers ( Lyra in my case) its the end game speaker.
You know it is impossible to find it elswere.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Kris,

Kerem of Absolare demos at Munich with Lyras. Once I heard that system I posted that if one has the money, this hobby does not have to be that difficult. You just copy and paste that system, and (unless you're a box swapper) you are done forever!

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Hi Kris,

Kerem of Absolare demos at Munich with Lyras. Once I heard that system I posted that if one has the money, this hobby does not have to be that difficult. You just copy and paste that system, and (unless you're a box swapper) you are done forever!
Absolare ran with Orion in 2023, we visited the room Friday morning and things were poor. Bass was mush/boom and overall a big disappointment. Didn't go back however many people reported great sound, can only assume they made changes or the system warmed up properly. The Orion's were saved, they sounded terrific driven by Riviera in the Audioquest room.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing