ROMA Official Trailer (2018) Alfonso Cuarón, Netflix Movie

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Making a movie; behind the scenes of Roma ... the camera works ...
? https://ascmag.com/articles/roma-memories-of-mexico

Highly recommended reading. ...Simply amazing what's behind shooting a film like 'Roma'.
For example, to shoot the bush fire he used fire lights! How can you be more natural than that!
_____

Also, Alfonso Cuarón @ first wanted to shoot 'Roma' in the 1.37:1 screen aspect ratio (pretty much in old fashion 4:3 TV aspect we all grew up with in the 50s and 60s). ...And the same aspect ratio used in the film 'Cold War'.
I know that B&W is not everyone's cup of tea, but from all the photographs I took in my lifetime the black and white ones are my favorites. It's very hard to criticize the accurate reds, blues and yellows/greens; we're in a grey area of dark and darker shadows, brighter and somber whites.

Anyway, for people who have an interest in the inner workings of Cinematography, black and white films like 'Roma' and 'Cold War' that are winning awards over awards for their visual styles.
This is cinema art form, in its pure essence. And it happens that both films are also powerful in their stories. We like what we like or don't, but it's always enriching to learn more and develop the mastering art of the film/music critic. ...Things we know and things we know less...whatever's best.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
'Roma'

"A scene in which the family walks to a local movie theater included a crossing of Insurgentes Avenue in Mexico City (pictured below). The actual avenue is just blocks from where director Alfonso Cuaron lived as a child, but the look of the neighborhood has changed dramatically since the early '70s, the time period of the Netflix film. They looked at locations on other roads but didn't find what they needed, and so it was decided that a set would be created from scratch. "We built the set in an empty lot: asphalt, tram rails, sidewalks, all the facades of the buildings and shops, the cinema, vehicles, signs and cables," explains production designer Eugenio Caballero. "The set was two blocks long (more than 200 meters) by 20 feet high. All the interiors of the numerous shops were fully dressed, and we had almost 300 vehicles circulating. We completed the set digitally, adding background depth and the upper floors of the buildings following a precise design provided by the Mexican art department."

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
To exemplify the sad state of affairs in quality movies over the years I have to admit that the nomination of Yalitza Aparicio in Roma as best actress, someone who has never before acted, left me wondering "are you kidding?"

Wait, do you think that someone needs to actually act and say something other than "yes, ma'am" to win an award? Steve, you are too harsh...

We just watched it. It was slow but somewhat interesting. If the scene at the end at the beach didn't happen I would have given it 2.5 stars out of 4. That scene added another 1/2 star. Either way, this movie isn't worthy of the top acting, picture or directorial awards.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Wait, do you think that someone needs to actually act and say something other than "yes, ma'am" to win an award? Steve, you are too harsh...

We just watched it. It was slow but somewhat interesting. If the scene at the end at the beach didn't happen I would have given it 2.5 stars out of 4. That scene added another 1/2 star. Either way, this movie isn't worthy of the top acting, picture or directorial awards.
I’m in New Zealand now with 10 friends all of whom saw the film and none of whom felt this was best picture. No you don’t have to talk to be nominated but honestly do you feel she was worthy of the nomination.

I liked parts of the film but for me I will never watch it again. Tough enough to watch it the first time

Reactions: dminches

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
You'd better take nice pictures Steve, to share with us.
Here all we got right now is snow, snow and snow...everything is white.

View attachment 48564
I can honestly say that this is the most beautiful country we’ve ever visited. We are off to our next hike to the foot of a glacier

I’m hearing the Academy is NOT presenting oscars for cinematography and editing. Is that true

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
If Roma and Cold War didn't exist Green Book might be the film I would be tempted to pick in my top category.

As for the young actress nomination in Roma, I have zero clue what criteria they used to come up with it. True she had zero experience, she was directed all the way by Mr. Cuarón.

Roma is not a Hollywood movie, it's a Mexican film, filmed au naturel en noir at blanc.
The actors are not known, except for the actress nominated for Best supporting actress.

Roma made zip money @ the theaters. All the best film expert critics praised it as a masterpiece. So the question is this: Why are all the best film critics keep giving Roma awards after awards after awards and has ten nominations @ the big Oscars show of the Academy in Hollywood? ...Including Best picture when it's not even an English spoken Hollywood flick?

By the way, Alfonso Cuarón said that it will be released on Blu-ray when asked recently from someone in the audience where Alfonso was answering questions.

@ the end it don't matter, what truly matters is that Roma is simply the best film of 2018 from all the very best majority of film experts and reviewers and critics. I cannot disagree with them, to the exact contrary; I fully agree with all of them.

The young actress won't win the Oscar; she was only nominated...it means nothing in Hollywood, nothing. But it's nice anyway.

Roma is not the type of film you rewatch over and over, unless you are a student from the Academy of photography or a filmmaker learning your camera techniques or ... something like that.

It's very amazing that for Best Cinematography and Best Film Editing the Oscars on the 24th will be presented during commercial breaks! It says everything we need to know about the state of the cinema affairs (bu$ine$$) in Hollywood. I am not the only one who feels that way.
This is all a big joke.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I can honestly say that this is the most beautiful country we’ve ever visited. We are off to our next hike to the foot of a glacier

I’m hearing the Academy is NOT presenting oscars for cinematography and editing. Is that true

I was writing before I could read your post above, it seems that I could read your mind as I mentionned it on my last paragraph.
____

Bonus (taken just an hour ago):

20190212_103158.jpg

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
@ the end it don't matter, what truly matters is that Roma is simply the best film of 2018 from all the very best majority of film experts and reviewers and critics. I cannot disagree with them, to the exact contrary; I fully agree with all of them.

The movie failed to delve much into the lives of Cleo and her co-worker. Yes, it showed how integrated Cleo was into the family and the role she played but I have no idea how this contrasts with other women like her. The only character development was Cleo and the mom, who I thought did a good job as a mother, pulling the family together after the Dad left. Maybe the movie showed how these young girls are almost like another child in the family given how they cared for her when she was pregnant.

I enjoyed the film but I enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody, The Green Book and The Favourite more.

Reactions: Steve Williams

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I am usually a fan of "artsy" films so it was surprising how bad I thought Roma was. I can't remember a Pest Picture nominee I cared less for than this one.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The movie failed to delve much into the lives of Cleo and her co-worker. Yes, it showed how integrated Cleo was into the family and the role she played but I have no idea how this contrasts with other women like her. The only character development was Cleo and the mom, who I thought did a good job as a mother, pulling the family together after the Dad left. Maybe the movie showed how these young girls are almost like another child in the family given how they cared for her when she was pregnant.

I enjoyed the film but I enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody, The Green Book and The Favourite more.

Marina de Tavira ...
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/roma-official-trailer-2018-alfonso-cuarón-netflix-movie.26207/page-3#post-555230

Nominated for best supporting actress. I didn't mention her for nothing; powerful actress.
I never mentioned anything about Cleo's nomination for best actress...magic Hollywood powder.

Bohemian...I miss the real Mercury. Nobody can bring the mercury level as Freddie himself.
I was mildly entertained, but something wasn't giving me my dose full potency.

The Favourite was fun, Green Book more impacting cinema value wise.
_____

Couple days ago I asked a friend if his wife watched Roma, not yet he said.
I was talking with her a week ago and I recommend it to her.
She asked me if it was violent or scary; I said I would never recommend films like that to you.
Even the best documentaries about sports, wars, history of humanity, ...anything with hatred, violence, blood, scary thrills, bad behavior from man, bad temper, bad values, anything bad in the world I would never recommend any film with that sort of content to you.

By the way, her husband didn't find anything in Roma. ...Not his cup of tea.
But then, he doesn't know about Pink Floyd. A nice guy, pro musician, and most of the films we both agree, but forget about Pink Floyd and Roma...not part of his domain.
On war and peace and on social movements in the world of economics, culture, finances, familiy values, etc., we are on the same page.

We never fight, even when Roma and Pink Floyd are mentioned. He just changes the subject and I oblige. Here in this forum (this thread) it's exactly the same; no fight ever.
That's what I like.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Some films and actors have more an impact on us than others. It's normal and it's not necessarily the same films and same actors for everyone; it's normal. It's just the way it is.
Marina de Tavira did have a big impact on me in 'Roma' the first time I saw her in it (I watched the film three times).

And now I just finished reading this short article freshly released today:
?
https://www.goldderby.com/article/2...oma-supporting-actress-oscar-nomination-news/

Some people they just confirmed what I've already saw. It's all fine; they don't have to disagree.
If I was an Academy voter she would get my vote as Best Supporting Actress; it would also be my privilege to present her with the Oscar.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing