I am as much a subjectivist as anybody in this hobby. But may I just suggest, and I am not breaking my arm patting myself on the back, that sometimes it is good not to be dogmatic.

Mechanical problems have mechanical solutions, and frequency response anomalies are, sort of, mechanical problems. When I heard subjectively frequency response anomalies it made all the sense in the world to me to try to measure them objectively, and then to use subsequent objective measurements to assess progress towards amelioration of the anomalies.
the issue is you've reduced sound to a FR graph - so I'm with Peter on this one. When you are making changes you never talk about spatial qualities (width, depth, dimensionality), timbre, micro dynamics, leading edge and decay, etc. You are only measuring a tiny part of the equation and with an extremely limited palette of measurements.

Reactions: Folsom and PeterA
I am curious to know why you seem so interested in my room measurements. Do you encourage Micro, Keith, and Al, or Madfloyd to measure their rooms? You have told me that you think my system has that "center of gravity", between 100-1K that you covet and believe is where the music is.
My YGs measure more smoothly in my room, yet Ron much prefers the "less accurate" Fynes. One difference between the two on paper is the YGs had a suck out in the upper bass, while the Fynes are probably a hair over ripe in that region.

What I find interesting is Ron has an entire system of tubes (including in power supplies) but relies on FR charts. This seems counter intuitive.

Why would you adjust tracking force by ear?

I believe if you change the SRA, the track force changes too.

Why adjust VTF by ear? How do you know 1.5 gram VTF is better than either 1.4 or 1.6? On what other basis would one adjust it or know which to use? If the Lyra manual states best sound occurs with 1.52, are you going to set it at that and leave it without trying other values? If a manufacturer states a range of say 1.8 to 2.1g, how do you know were to set it? Who determines what the VTF should be and how?

I think whether or not tracking force changes with different SRAs depends on the design of the arm. Then the question is at some point, by how much, and does it matter? If you can hear a difference, it matters, but how do you know if you are hearing the VTF or the SRA change? Once you get very close, which parameter matters most? Alignment changes when adjusting arm height too. Anti skate changes when adjusting tracking force. I do a lot of back and forth when setting up and fine tuning a cartridge until I settle on what sounds best.

I suppose you can just do it all by recommendations and measurements without listening to the results. Do you then just trust that set up, presuming it is best? Personally, I would need to verify by listening to alternative settings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johan K
My YGs measure more smoothly in my room, yet Ron much prefers the "less accurate" Fynes. One difference between the two on paper is the YGs had a suck out in the upper bass, while the Fynes are probably a hair over ripe in that region.

What I find interesting is Ron has an entire system of tubes (including in power supplies) but relies on FR charts. This seems counter intuitive.

That is an excellent point about measurements corresponding to preference. I would be curious to see those charts posted in your speaker thread to see why Ron prefers the Fynes. I wonder whether or not Ron will remeasure with the new acoustic panels and share results here. Will he choose what sounds best or what looks best on the charts? Will the two be correlated? To me, his videos do not sound like what I would expect seeing his charts.

How is Ron's personal subjective goal of a system with a "center of gravity" between 100-1K depicted in these charts? What would such a response look like? A gradual, flat downward slope from 20 to 20K would not seem to indicate such a "center of gravity" or particular frequency emphasis.

the issue is you've reduced sound to a FR graph - so I'm with Peter on this one. When you are making changes you never talk about spatial qualities (width, depth, dimensionality), timbre, micro dynamics, leading edge and decay, etc. You are only measuring a tiny part of the equation and with an extremely limited palette of measurements.

Maybe I'm not understanding you, but the issue you are postulating is not an issue here at all. With regard to the objective frequency response chart measurement I am not talking about "spatial qualities (width, depth, dimensionality), timbre, micro dynamics, leading edge and decay" because those sonic attributes cannot be seen on a frequency response chart. I'm not talking about them, because I am not thinking or suggesting that my objective measurement process has anything to do with measuring those characteristics.

The only things I am evaluating using the objective frequency response charts are:

1) whether the presence of the AVAAs has smoothed out the bass bump around 55Hz, and

2) whether the rise in the 3 to 5kHz range has been smoothed out.

I find it is easy to hear whether the room boom is reduced or not subjectively, and I find it easy to hear any upper midrange brightness subjectively. But in terms of verifying the extent to which the various sizes and thicknesses of the acoustic absorption panels are smoothing out particular frequencies I find it very effective to use the objective measured frequency chart as a check. In other words I can hear easily upper midrange brightness, but I cannot tell from ears alone if the brightness peak is at 3kHz or 4Khz.

So I'm saying that your criticism that I am "only measuring a tiny part of the equation and with an extremely limited palette of measurements" is a bit inapposite because I am knowingly seeking to measure only a tiny part of the equation (frequency response) and with a very limited metric (frequency response real-time analyzer) -- and nothing more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott Naylor

This is correct.

I am not seeing the connection between tubes and using a RTA to measure frequency response.

If you are assuming that the Io sounds romantic and bloomy, and that the system overall sounds deliberately warm, I think you're in for a surprise.

Reactions: Al M.
Will he choose what sounds best or what looks best on the charts?

Peter, thank you for these questions.

What are you thinking "looks best on the charts?"

I am not seeing the connection between tubes and using a RTA to measure frequency response.

If you are assuming that the Io sounds romantic and bloomy, and that the system overall sounds deliberately warm, I think you're in for a surprise.

Ron, do you think the charts reflect what you hear from say 5K Hz up and from 40Hz down?

Will he choose what sounds best or what looks best on the charts?

I care only about what sounds best. I don't care about what the chart looks like.

But the chart is very useful for verifying any upper midrange brightness I am hearing subjectively.

Ron, do you think the charts reflect what you hear from say 5K Hz up and from 40Hz down?
I don't know. I have not thought about that. I have not been using the objective frequency response measurements to answer that question.

I am using the objective frequency response measurements to evaluate only the two things I specified in Post #2,085:

The only things I am evaluating using the objective frequency response charts are:

1) whether the presence of the AVAAs has smoothed out the bass bump around 55Hz, and

2) whether the rise in the 3 to 5kHz range has been smoothed out.

(... ) You are only measuring a tiny part of the equation and with an extremely limited palette of measurements.

And unfortunately using a simple measurement that was developed for anechoic chamber measurement (no boundaries) in room conditions. The result can be very misleading - IMO better tossing coins. BTW, the main objection to such procedure is that these graphs will always bias us.

Ron, I can not answer that. What charts are you asking about? I have not seen any new charts made after your recent changes to acoustic treatments, so I have no basis for making a comparison and judging what looks best. In general, I think smooth "looks" better than jagged.

Someday I may have a better idea about how smooth and how tilted a chart needs to be for me to think the system sounds natural. As I have posted, I do not hear the HF roll off indicated in your chart after 8K Hz when listening to your videos. I would also expect a different LF response below 50 Hz based on those massive woofer towers.

The result can be very misleading - IMO better tossing coins.

:rolleyes: This is incorrect in my particular use case, because I hear subjectively clear cause-and-effect with the absorption panels (usually based on the relative tinkley-ness and brightness of piano on several recordings) and AVAAs, and this clear cause-and-effect is verified by the objective measurements.

Last edited:
And unfortunately using a simple measurement that was developed for anechoic chamber measurement (no boundaries) in room conditions. The result can be very misleading - IMO better tossing coins. BTW, the main objection to such procedure is that these graphs will always bias us.

How do you know if the results are or are not misleading in a specific case like Ron's? Ron says he verifies by listening and the tool works. Tossing a coin does not seem very helpful when trying to solve problems. What alternative would you suggest to Ron, Fransisco?

My other questions are about what a center of gravity of 100-1K Hz might look like on these charts of yours. I can not answer what looks best, but I am curious to know what you think a chart with such a center of gravity would look like? I have no idea because I do not understand the concept of a "center" when looking at a FR chart.

You have described this as a goal in your system, and you are making the effort of taking measurements and posting them, so I am really curious about your answer to this question.

I do not hear the HF roll off indicated in your chart after 8K Hz when listening to your videos.

This is because our ears are much more sensitive to certain frequencies than they are to other frequencies.

Last edited:
I wish I had the kind of hearing that could ascertain differences in videos above 8khz and below 50hz.

yes that’s hilarious. To me the videos sound quite good without the rolloff indicated in the chart. But more importantly, the visitors to Ron’s system don’t describe the rolloff at the extremes that are indicated in the charts.

Scott, also please don’t forget that Ron also indicated that the videos reflect the tone and resolution of his system. That is a very useful and helpful comment when assessing his videos.

Al M. recently visited Ron and heard his system. I am looking forward to reading his report and to see how he describes the sound given the objective assessment we have seen of the frequency response in the measurements.

Last edited:
How do you know if the results are or are not misleading in a specific case like Ron's? Ron says he verifies by listening and the tool works. Tossing a coin does not seem very helpful when trying to solve problems. What alternative would you suggest to Ron, Fransisco?

I explained several times why the measurements are not the proper ones. And I (and others) suggested more than once RT60 versus frequency.

Reactions: PeterA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing