Thank you. Do you adjust the speed of the turntable while playing a record or without a record on the platter? Does it make a difference?
This is the first time since Joe Cali set up the turntable that I have really played with the speed.

Which is the preferred protocol?

This is the first time since Joe Cali set up the turntable that I have really played with the speed.

If you can measure while playing a very dynamic recording woukd be the best…however the measurements might not be fast enough to give anything more than an average speed. This is what makes the Speednic interesting as you get feedback that’s as fast as your eye/brain can process the strobe while playing music. You can see with many TTs the speed does fluctuate when playing a record.

Last edited:
If you can measure while playing a very dynamic recording woukd be the best…however the measurements might not be fast enough to give anything more than an average speed.
Thank you.

If the measurement mechanism is not fast enough to give anything more than an average speed, do you think it is still the best protocol to measure speed while playing a record on the platter?

PS: As I get deeper into the fussiness of vinyl playback (I now have a DS Audio ION-001 spraying ions at my vinyl) it is increasingly clear to me that tape playback is easier than vinyl playback. Of course it is easier to identify grooves between tracks on vinyl then it is to hunt for tracks on tape.

It’s not about that Ron. It’s about accurate speed and how you determine it. It depends on the table design. I can’t speak to the Brinkman hence my question. The platter will change speed on some turntables when the stylus is lowered into the groove. If that is the case with the Brinkman, then I recommend you set the speed with the record playing. if the platter is immune to speed fluctuation with or without the stylus engaged, it doesn’t really matter.

Last edited:
The platter will change speed on some turntables when the stylus is lowered into the groove. If that is the case with the Brinkman, then I recommend you set the speed with the record playing. if the platter is immune to speed fluctuation with or without the stylus engaged, it doesn’t really matter.
This makes sense.

Thank you.

If the measurement mechanism is not fast enough to give anything more than an average speed, do you think it is still the best protocol to measure speed while playing a record on the platter?

PS: As I get deeper into the fussiness of vinyl playback (I now have a DS Audio ION-001 spraying ions at my vinyl) it is increasingly clear to me that tape playback is easier than vinyl playback. Of course it is easier to identify grooves between tracks on vinyl then it is to hunt for tracks on tape.
For me the problem with tape is lack of availability of pre-recorded media. I had a pretty good R2R back when I was recording live events. The idea of “ripping” other media onto tape doesn’t appeal to me (I have a friend making mixed tapes all the time…not for me). This friend of mine has two R2Rs (one Teac and one Technics I think) and a Nakamichi ZX-9 cassette deck. I personally think the ZX-9 is the most transparent to the source of his three machines.

I have three turntables: A Yamaha GT-2000,an Exclusive P10 with 12 inch Nottingham arm and a Brinkmann Bardo with 9.6 arm. I set them up and use them…not much fuss. They are all direct drive, so speed is quite accurate (the Yamaha is the best I have ever put the Speednic on btw.) and all sound really good…

My point is that vinyl is only as fussy as you want to make it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu