Hi Ron,

Sounds a little bit compressed in my computer speakers here.. However... I can hear the size of the sound and I can imagine it's a hole different story at your place. Very nice indeed under my circumstances. Always nice to see your mighty system.

/ Jk

Anette Askvik "Liberty," recorded in 2011. I have not been able to find any evidence or even suggestion that this track was not recorded digitally.

Recorded on iPhone using Qobuz --> iPad as streamer --> Baltic 4.

I think this sounds a little dry and menthol and digitally. But considering I am using iPad a streamer here, it sounds better than I was expecting.

I actually think it may sound less dry and less menthol and less digitally than times I have heard it at shows. I think the Baltic 4 is doing some heavy lifting here to make this tolerable to listen to at all directly off an iPad.
Thanks for posting this. I had listened to her at a friends house, and it had not been available on Qobuz when I had checked in the past.

Can’t say what I think of the quality as I haven’t heard it in my room.
I Do you like her voice and music though.

Reactions: Johan K
Does sound like the room has promising ambient acoustics, to the extent they can be heard flattened in the recording.

A friend visited yesterday for several hours and asked, "where are the tubes?"

Reactions: Mike Lavigne
Did you say to him, hiding inside siggy or what tubes?

• Haha
Reactions: Johan K
Anette Askvik "Liberty," recorded in 2011. I have not been able to find any evidence or even suggestion that this track was not recorded digitally.

I think this sounds a little dry and menthol and digitally. But considering I am using iPad a streamer here, it sounds better than I was expecting.

I actually think it may sound less dry and less menthol and less digitally than times I have heard it at shows. I think the Baltic 4 is doing some heavy lifting here to make this tolerable to listen to at all directly off an iPad.
i have that 45rpm pressing of that recording; agree likely digitally sourced, not much different sounding than the 48/24 off Quboz through the Wadax. but i like it. it's not thin or etched, but a bit atmospheric and not so much a rich ambient sense of venue or degrees of nuance and organic presence that would indicate an analog source. but i think that the feeling of the artist is well served by the sound.

i have that 45rpm pressing of that recording; agree likely digitally sourced, not much different sounding than the 48/24 off Quboz through the Wadax. but i like it. it's not thin or etched, but a bit atmospheric and not so much a rich ambient sense of venue or degrees of nuance and organic presence that would indicate an analog source. but i think that the feeling of the artist is well served by the sound.
Hard to find anything about the production, even here in Norway on Norwegian websites, but will try and see if anyone on the Norwegian hifi-forum knows more about this recording.

Hard to find anything about the production, even here in Norway on Norwegian websites, but will try and see if anyone on the Norwegian hifi-forum knows more about this recording.
Try to bribe them with cookies, and some hot cups of freshly brewed coffee…
It’s a kind of psychologic warfare - but it always works for me? :p !

Hahaha!

/ Jk

• Haha
Reactions: crosswind
Have you tried to buy the album from Q buzz and play to compare to streaming it ?

Well I have been listening to it using Qobuz and it does not sound dry and menthol. It sounds like I expect a close mic voice will sound life in a club using an amplified system for voice. I have some excellent analog recordings that sound similar - no vestige of poor digital recording at all, but I am using the Taiko Extreme-dCS Vivaldi APEX .

Exceptionally I listened to your video and by comparison it sounds grainy and horrible in my headphones, plenty of echo separating the voice from the blurred instrumental part.

But surely not the best vocal recording I own.

Have you tried to buy the album from Q buzz and play to compare to streaming it ?

Do you mean download the album?

No, because I have no interest in accumulating computer files. It still would be resident on the iPad and the iPad would still have to stream it out.

Well I have been listening to it using Qobuz and it does not sound dry and menthol.

Corrected: Well I have been listening to it using Qobuz and it does not sound dry and menthol to me.

I would hope the Taiko Extreme would sound better than iPad as streamer.

If you want to try something actually relevant to what I was talking about disconnect the Extreme and use your iPhone as a streamer or iPad as a streamer into the Apex.

It sounds like I expect a close mic voice will sound life in a club using an amplified system for voice. I have some excellent analog recordings that sound similar - no vestige of poor digital recording at all

This suggests I am correct that it is not a great recording, because it is a studio recording (not in a club), and presumably no amplified system for voice. So if it sounded like a club recording with amplification then it is not a great studio recording.

We will have to agree to disagree because I hear the telltale dryness of digital recording. I think the recording is as good as it can be given that it is a digital recording.

Reactions: Alrainbow
This suggests I am correct that it is not a great recording, because it is a studio recording (not in a club), and presumably no amplified system for voice. So if it sounded like a club recording with amplification then it is not a great studio recording.

We will have to agree to disagree because I hear the telltale dryness of digital recording. I think the recording is as good as it can be given that it is a digital recording.

Ron, you seem to be implying here that you think there is a limit to just how good or natural a digital recording can sound. Is that correct? Do all digital recordings sound dry to you? I would suspect that many people who listen primarily or only to digital would disagree.

Do you think the dryness you describe a result of the recording being made in a studio or because it is digital?

I went to the symphony last night for the first time since since Covid to re-calibrate my ears, and there was absolutely no dryness to the sound.

Last edited:
Studio or live is a debate of my own
in one way studio might better in that all is made perfect
Where live is more complex
PA and live sound might be mixed to give the event feel.
yet I seem to like live above studio many times.
now this may also be the size a given system can scale
my IRS V to me can scale plenty but need to be played at a given volume to get the low level details with own details.
I think smaller systems play low level details better but can’t scale a live event as needed.
Also a think panels , line source have an advantage
horns sound great but don’t scale as well as panels and line sources.
views on this may vary but it’s how I hear it.
regarding digital music this is a debate I won’t engage it’s almost as bad as political views just gets toxic fast.
My view

This was on Discogs. Don't know if anyone know how hey record their music.

Recorded in Oslo, Norway, at Musikkloftet by Vidar Kunden and at Siddharta studio by Øystein Sevåg
Selfpublished by Anette Askvik
First pressing 2020, second press 2021 has "repress 2021" stamped on bottom back sleeve

Anette Askvik – Liberty​

Anette Askvik - Liberty album cover
More images

Style:
Label:Bird Records (5) – Birdrecords 5
Format:2 x Vinyl, LP, 45 RPM, Limited Edition, 180g Gatefold
Released:Mar 2020
Genre:Jazz, Pop

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing