Can you play with the crossover frequency of the sub towers? maybe moving it up a bit in frequency would help if you can do that? I crossed my BGs at 300 Hz because I found that preferrable to 200hz from a fullness perspective. I also tried 500 Hz but then I lost a significant amount of clarity and went back to 300.

The crossover frequency is not adjustable.

The Q of the crossover frequency has three settings. I am using the softest slope (lowest Q) setting.

I'm really curious about your findings on these

Me too. Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I'm thinking this test is going to be as easy as playing pink noise, looking at the 60 Hz bump on the analyzer, turning the AVAAs on, and seeing on the iPad display if the bump magically is shaved down.

Reactions: christoph
Would be nice to place little (active) boxes around instead of gigantic (passive) corner absorbers :D

I'm assuming I will end up with a combination which is why I am ordering the TT-HH (Helmholtz) TubeTraps and seeking the AVAA demo.

Reactions: christoph
Ron, If you have not experimented yet with moving your listening seat fore and aft and measuring below 300 Hz the way Jim Smith does for smoothest bass response, how do you know you can’t solve your LF balance issue without getting more acoustic treatments? You could start there. It is easy and should take less than an hour.

This is an excellent question!

I have now moved the listening seat forwards and backwards. Because the room is only 24 1/2 feet long, I don't have too much range to move the seat forward without losing center imaging.

The 60Hz bass bump is prominent. Moving the seat forward and backward did not materially change the bump.

I think the 60Hz base bump is pretty tenacious. I'm going to need a bigger hammer to beat it into submission than just seat re-positioning.

Last edited:
This is an excellent question!

I have now moved the listening seat forwards and backwards. Because the room is only 24 1/2 feet long, I don't have too much range to move the seat forward without losing center imaging.

The 60Hz bass bump is prominent. Moving the seat forward and backward did not materially change the bump.

I think the 60Hz base bump is pretty tenacious. I'm going to need a bigger hammer to beat it into submission than just seat re-positioning.

Jim Smith moved his mic in about a 24" range with the measuring gear to find the smoothest response. DDK walked around my room and found two areas that sounded balanced, one nearfield, and one where the sofa was located. He moved the sofa within a 4" range by listening and then settled on one spot at the back of the room. I also occasionally listen nearfield. Each room is different. I was just suggesting moving in 3" increments once you have determined that the rear of the room is best by walking around and listening.

I'll be curious to see what happens in the whole 35-90 Hz range. It all looks elevated on the graph to me.

Me too. Maybe I'm wrong about this, but I'm thinking this test is going to be as easy as playing pink noise, looking at the 60 Hz bump on the analyzer, turning the AVAAs on, and seeing on the iPad display if the bump magically is shaved down.

Ron, It will be interesting to see if any other aspects of the sound are affected. It might not be as simple as just lowering the 60 Hz bump by 5 or so dB. There might be some tradeoffs or other consequences.

There might be some tradeoffs or other consequences.

I'm not worried about any trade-offs or other consequences. I only want to get that room boom shaved down.

If can get the room boom shaved down, whatever the resulting low-frequency response is I can move up or down with the woofer towers level control. That broad bass frequency rise you are seeing on the FR curve I can turn into a base frequency depression with a push of a button.

And when Lloyd visits and wants to play his electronic music I can turn the place into a thumping EDM rave.

Hi Ron, first of all congrats with getting your top class setup, up and running. I have read your whole thread over the past three days. Very enjoyable and interesting to read. Thanks so much for sharing. I have played your Take five video on my living room set up which in short consists of full range conventional loudspeakers and quite transparent SS amplification.

FWIW I hear a wide soundstage with great instrument separation. I can hear no brightness whatsoever. I can hear your 60 Hz peak, and tried to correct it with digital EQ at 60 HZ. That did not unmask any detail and I got subjectively better results with reducing the overall bass level below 200 Hz with 3 to 4 db. However trying to translate your sound to my living room comes with numerous sources of error. It`s still fun. From what I hear and see on your posted graph I suspect your system sounds slightly warmer than neutral.

Best regards
Christian

Dear Christian,

Thank you very much for your kind words! I really am having a lot of fun!

It would be nice if there were no sonic glitches whatsoever, but that's not real life.

Let me emphasize that I think you are very smart to play the YouTube videos through your big stereo. When Kedar twisted my arm to do this and I finally did it, I could easily confirm what he had been telling me, which I could not discern at all with merely iPhone playback.

I think anybody interested in this video recordings of audio stuff should be playing these videos back through their big stereo system.

When I play my own iPhone videos through the iPhone I do not hear the wide soundstage and instrument separation that I hear live in the room. In the room it is startlingly realistic. At the very least it is more startlingly realistic than I've ever heard before. I personally believe that that sense of almost being able to get up on stage and walk around the players is a realistic artifact of panel dipole loudspeakers. It also helps that the speakers are eight feet away from the front wall.

I suspect you're right that the system sounds slightly warmer than neutral. If it didn't, for my ears, I would have to throw it all away and start over.

I'll be curious to see what happens in the whole 35-90 Hz range.

I am curious too.

When are we going to see your frequency response curve on the frequency response curve thread?

Flemming very kindly wrote to me and says that his preferred toe-in is to have the ribbon drivers pointed directly at the listener's ears.

In the near future I will go back to experimenting with toe-in.

I am curious too.

When are we going to see your frequency response curve on the frequency response curve thread?

I do not know.

I did not hear brightness on the take 5 video.

Yes Ron gets credit for posting his videos. Especially given that he is/was is a non-believer, he has forum spirit
i've been feeling very sad since i'm realizing i'm a non believer and don't have the forum spirit.

in the eyes of the forum spirit puba.

oh well.

i've been feeling very sad since i'm realizing i'm a non believer and don't have the forum spirit.

oh well.

Mike given the amount of people you have invited over to your place, including some who disliked your system on paper strongly before visiting, and the amount of high end gear you have exposed the community to, and the trail of teachings left through your 50 year journey, you probably have the strongest forum and community spirit

Yes, no one can be perfect, so you are allowed one flaw

Last edited:

oh well.
As a fellow non believer, with overweight multi-tower speakers, i have a hard time imagining what part of the rendition in my room is going to come out of most modest size speakers playing back a video file in a room of a completely different size and geometry ! :rolleyes:

I am hearing largely the same thing as you and as Peter in direction, but not in amplitude, so to speak

Okay; not a phone issue, a work in progress. Not sure about direction and amplitude. I hear a frequency imbalance with a recessed mid-range or, the overall gestalt of the highs and lows squeezing out the midrange. This is just that one video; the same effect is there on the video after that, but not to the same degree, but harder to tell because not the same music. I assume if you put these out there that you ask for feedback.

Lol , And what about Keds systems freq response ??
Is there any sign when that will be visible for all to see?

A friend did measure my old Magico Mini II system and I posted the graphs in my old thread. I am glad you are amused. Hearing a system video usually tells me more about whether or not I will like the sound of a system than seeing the FR plot.

Reactions: Scott Naylor
A friend did measure my old Magico Mini II system and I posted the graphs in my old thread. I am glad you are amused. Hearing a system video usually tells me more about whether or not I will like the sound of a system than seeing the FR plot.

I m not worried about the magico mini graph FR wise .
I m more interested in your Horn speaker graph .
Im sure your horn does certain things extremely well otherwise you wouldnt have bought it , but FR wise i have doubts

I m not worried about the magico mini graph FR wise .
I m more interested in your Horn speaker graph .
Im sure your horn does certain things extremely well otherwise you wouldnt have bought it , but FR wise i have doubts

You "laughed" when I told Ron I did not know when I would post a FR plot. I figured you found something funny. I mentioned the Magico FR plot to indicate that I have done this before and shared results implying that I might do it again. I understand you have doubts. You make speakers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing