The distance to the front wall should solve your upper mids issue.
Keith if your referring to reflection of wall behind spealers I would expect the nulls and peaks of interference to be based around a very precise distance and hence relatively narrow ... unlike Rons plot ... have you experienced otherwise

Cheers
Phil

The distance to the front wall should solve your upper mids issue.

Why would this be? With planars the distance to the front wall affects primarily the delay between direct sound to the ears and reflected sound from the back of the panel off the front wall to the ears. The time delay between the two in milliseconds affects the sense of openness and "sound-staging."

The absorption panels I got are 1 inch thick to minimize absorption below 500Hz. (I would've gotten them half-inch thick to further minimize absorption below 500Hz, but I thought that would make 8 foot panels too flimsy.)

It’s may do so in the theory but does effect tone especially if you don’t tow
Think Maggie’s or apps .distance inside and distance to side walls too

Keith if your referring to reflection of wall behind spealers I would expect the nulls and peaks of interference to be based around a very precise distance and hence relatively narrow ... unlike Rons plot ... have you experienced otherwise

Cheers
Phil
I’m not sure why Ron’s plot means much outside of major room nodes. It isn’t based on precise positioning of the Pendragons in the room to begin with. It also doesn’t represent how sound is spatially or dynamically in the room.

Last edited:
I’m not sure why Ron’s plot means much outside of major room nodes. It isn’t based on precise positioning of the Pendragons in the room to begin with. It also doesn’t represent how sound is spatially or dynamically in the room.
It does show the fr at the listening spot .. as far as you can with the iPad .. so it does show room modes at that point . Averaging around listening point would give a better picture.... I agree its only a small part of the story but an important one.
I still dont see how distance to back wall is responsible for the bump from 1-5khz ... anyhow we will see what Rons next move brings

It does show the fr at the listening spot .. as far as you can with the iPad .. so it does show room modes at that point . Averaging around listening point would give a better picture.... I agree its only a small part of the story but an important one.
I still dont see how distance to back wall is responsible for the bump from 1-5khz ... anyhow we will see what Rons next move brings
Do you agree the distance to front wall or sides has an effect on tone ?
If yes closer might show more reflection and this may it be a balanced in freq
I’m all for room treatments but feel first it’s getting placement then treat what can’t be fixed

Do you agree the distance to front wall or sides has an effect on tone ?
If yes closer might show more reflection and this may it be a balanced in freq
I’m all for room treatments but feel first it’s getting placement then treat what can’t be fixed
Totally ... all first reflections within 10ms should be lowered in volume by at least 10db .. preferably more . This will assist unsmeared precise sound . Combined with a perfectly symmetrical positioning of speakers that others have mentioned you get clarity imaging etc.
I think Rons speakers are far enough from front wall .. you would then adjust them and seating to avoid low fr peaks and nulls at low fr... I think that has been done.
However I dont think moving them back and forth will change the bump above 1000 hz ( or is it a dip below) as they are too broad to be effected by these dimensions
I would be a fan of moving them further away from side walls as they are shortest relection path .. I also wonder about locating woofer towers inboard as they will have more reflective energy off sidewalls than dipoles .. that could be the the reason for the shallow dip centered around the 300hz or so .. via cancellation.
All just speculation at this distance :)

Is it just me? I get it. Tonality is important. But is there anything in audio more boring than flat frequency response?

Reactions: gleeds
Flat can be great but I get your point
Now do you or I hear flat or perceive flat
Well this of another topic
I don’t know why or am I pro but having 4 towers weighing 1500 pounds In a 20 by 55 room makes you try to work wisely
bass bumps are very hard to fix if we don’t use dsp
And I Dont
moving your seat up or back just a 1/2 foot matters
And the change in dynamics is massive too.
At one point Gary the only person explained why so I had one woofer dead center and one on one side. Best bass i ever had hands down
it’s very good now but many lessons learned to get there
I tried a phase box on the woofers it’s good to have but I’m about not using almost a anything

Linear distortions just don't bother me unless they are really gross. i do recall this musician friend a long time ago walked into my room and could hear my sub was not properly adjusted. He did it to his taste. I just did not hear a difference. I find ringing much more annoying. Ditto for hiss.
Carry on. I will find something else to do.

Reactions: Alrainbow
All record dividers finally installed:

IMG_5548.jpeg

Looks great!

Reactions: Scott Naylor
Lovely! Do you have miscellaneous sections? What do you do when you find a new artist you like? Is it easy to just order a new divider?

I do not have miscellaneous sections per se. I have a Sheffield Lab section and a Reference Recordings section where orphan titles from those labels are located.

I am not sure what the shipping would be for a single divider, but it has been extremely easy and delightful to communicate with and to deal with Mingo Audio!

Mingo Audio
mingoaudiovisuals@gmail.com

Last edited:
Reactions: emoonie
But is there anything in audio more boring than flat frequency response?

As pjwd has educated me, a flat frequency response is not really a flat frequency response. A flat frequency response is perceived by my ears as bright and fatiguing.

Reactions: MPS
What do you do when you find a new artist you like?

Not every artist or group has his/her/its own divider. I require an artist or group to have two or three titles to qualify for a divider.

The exceptions to this are the titles that are very important to me and of which I have multiple versions, such as Carole King's Tapestry.

I placed on the front wall two 1" x 30" acoustic panels behind each ribbon panel.

IMG_5578.jpeg

BEFORE
IMG_0052.png

AFTER
IMG_0055.png

Reactions: Al M.
First album on vinyl is Famous Blue Raincoat.

I think the slight edginess is gone! :D (Y'all should have had more faith in me. Mechanical problems have mechanical solutions.)

Last edited:
Ron, which sounds better to you and why?

Shaving off some of the bass nodes room boom allowed me to raise the woofer tower level. These acoustic panels, which were selected to begin to absorb significantly at about 1kHz, I think have mitigated the slight upper midrange edginess on vinyl.

Subjectively the sonic center of gravity of the system has been nudged down.

I will leave it to people with ears better than mine to decide whether the four panels on the front wall are too much, and maybe only two panels are necessary.

Broadly speaking, I consider that the system is officially "hatched." I am done for now. Of course the big turntable has yet to arrive.

I may get a third AVAA. I've ordered custom TubeTraps with higher Q which will replace the standard TubeTraps I have presently. I may play with some additional tube swapping. I may get KR KT-88s for the amps. And I still haven't sorted out the ribbon panel toe-in puzzle.

Friends and guests will have to weigh in with their opinions. I will happily make changes if other people hear issues and suggest improvements. But as far as I am concerned I'm done with the big stuff.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu