You might want to try this Ray Brown on Tidal.https://listen.tidal.com/
I share the like of the live recording at jazz clubs. There just seems ro be more freedom.
Eva Cassidy at Blues Alley. NightBird for one amongst many
Cecile McLoren-Savant Dreams and Daggers
All available on Tidal They might be available on CD or vinyl. don't know.

I have most of Eva Cassidy's recordings, I think.

Good for you. Is it not great how she weaves her way through different types of music. Rock, Jazz, Blues and Pop. She puts her mark on each of them.

Good for you. Is it not great how she weaves her way through different types of music. Rock, Jazz, Blues and Pop. She puts her mark on each of them.

Unfortunately I think the recording quality of a lot of her stuff is poor. (The crappy mobile equipment they used to record her in clubs.)

I am not sure of the recording time line. But given her untimely daeth it may be that the recordings were not originally made for publication. It is not uncommon to publish the library after her death.
Add to that the vastly improved sound reinforcement system at Blues Alley was not always of the highest quality. Most notably was a slight PA echo.

Reactions: Ron Resnick
I am a jazz Philistine, but I really like some of the Ray Brown stuff! His groups' music is very lively! It is very jazz club-like to me!
A lot of folks think Jazz just sounds like noise because they haven't heard it on vinyl/tape. Try this on vinyl, it has a great version of Take Five:

Screenshot_2023_0507_110031.jpg

Unfortunately I think the recording quality of a lot of her stuff is poor. (The crappy mobile equipment they used to record her in clubs.)
Hey Ron,

Have you seen this by any chance? They have layered her voice with the LSO in a new recording. I can imagine it being a new recording, that the fidelity should be high.

I have an album with Ray Charles where they took his voice with his estate's permission and layered against an orchestra...it actually is fantastic. In the Eva Cassidy case, I found the musical work of the LSO a bit sleepy...nevertheless, it should be higher fidelity if their interpretations work for you.

Hey Ron,

Have you seen this by any chance? They have layered her voice with the LSO in a new recording. I can imagine it being a new recording, that the fidelity should be high.

I have an album with Ray Charles where they took his voice with his estate's permission and layered against an orchestra...it actually is fantastic. In the Eva Cassidy case, I found the musical work of the LSO a bit sleepy...nevertheless, it should be higher fidelity if their interpretations work for you.

No, Lloyd, I have not seen it. Thank you for the suggestion!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rexp
Red Hot Ray Brown Trio "That's All" (Groove Note 45 rpm)

Ron, it is interesting how this sounds pretty different from your video of two months ago, Solar Energy on Pendragons. Do you attribute it to set up changes or the recordings themselves?

pjwd kindly wrote to me privately that "the dip in between 200 and 1000 is a bit deeper with the panels." I hadn't noticed this myself on the frequency response chart, but he is correct.

Ideally I don't want the absorption panels absorbing anything below 1,000Hz. But that is not the way absorption panels work. There is no electronic absorption slope control on an acoustic panel.

Switching from 1" thick panels to 1/2" thick panels will reduce slightly the absorption from 500Hz to 1,000Hz.

As I experiment with absorption panels of different dimensions and in different locations and in a different quantities I simply lean the panels up against the wall. I realized one additional thing myself: there is an air gap between panel and the wall. Leaning the panel against the wall, the top of the panel touches the wall, and the bottom of the panel touches the floor a few inches away from the wall. This air gap increases the absorption of frequencies below 1,000Hz.

Reactions: Johan K
Ofcourse it does, because of that small space, it is directly start acting as a small helmholtz resonator in a way… As long as you don’t have any space between the panel and the wall, the absorbtion will be equal over the absorbtion panel… and with different space it will attack different frequences…

/ Johan

Ron, would you mind re-recording Ray Brown’s solar energy in your new system configuration so we can compare it to the old one? This would tell us more about your system sound changes over time instead of how differently various recordings were made.

No worries if you can’t be bothered. You have a nice new system with which to relax and enjoy your music.

Last edited:
Ron, it is interesting how this sounds pretty different from your video of two months ago, Solar Energy on Pendragons. Do you attribute it to set up changes or the recordings themselves?

The frequency response at the listening position definitely has changed over the last several weeks. But I, personally, cannot tell anything from comparing the videos of two different recordings.

Reactions: Scott Naylor
Ron, would you mind re-recording Ray Brown’s solar energy in your new system configuration so we can compare it to the old one? This would tell us more about your system sound changes over time instead of how differently various recordings were made.

I definitely will do that at some point. Thank you for the suggestion.

I'm going to experiment with the absorption panels over the next few weeks, and I will re-record Soular Energy thereafter.

Reactions: Johan K
Soular Energy February 2023

Last edited:
Reactions: Lee
Soular Energy "Exactly Like You"

Soular Energy "Teach Me Tonight"

Hi Ron,

Of those three audio clips… which one do you like the most? Which is ofcourse IMO the most important part.. as it is your room?;).

/ Jk

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu