Ron's Speaker, Turntable, Power and Room Treatment Upgrades

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I bought a ZYX 2 months ago but haven't installed it yet because my Benz LPS just sings. I guess the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" resonates with me.
@bonzo75 . Why did you bother hitting like for this post. You yourself would swap the cart in a second if you have a chance.

Kind regards,
Tang

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
When you are done setting up your mega system with the AS2000/SME. The ZYX will not sound on a warm side. If you still find it warm, look elsewhere down the chain.

A Coralstone on Axiom on AF1 in my system is still in a different league from the four carts I have on the AS2000. I doubt it moves up a league even if play on the AS. But I dont have a diamond cantilever like Christian and Gian.

Tang :)

Just for the record - I bought a B&O cartridge in the mid 80s with a solid diamond cantilever for about £65. New. If I remember correctly. I'm pretty sure it was amazingly cheap, though.

I used to stare at it with a magnifying glass in wonderment.

https://www.beoworld.org/prod_details.asp?pid=731

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
I bought a ZYX 2 months ago but haven't installed it yet because my Benz LPS just sings. I guess the old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" resonates with me.
Same here. Interestingly, I have a Benz LPS and a ZYX and have been playing the ZYX for the last several months. I recently swapped the ZYX for the Benz and have been really enjoying it. It’s not as quiet as the zyx but just so musical that I have no intention to go back to the zyx in a hurry.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Same here. Interestingly, I have a Benz LPS and a ZYX and have been playing the ZYX for the last several months. I recently swapped the ZYX for the Benz and have been really enjoying it. It’s not as quiet as the zyx but just so musical that I have no intention to go back to the zyx in a hurry.

Which ZYX are you using?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have been excited about, and looking forward to ordering and using, two Stacore Basic+s for the VTL Siegfried II amplifiers (each mono amplifier weighs 200 pounds). I still am going to order the Stacore platforms for the amplifiers at some point.

But as I think through the smaller details about putting the components of the system in the room sometime next year and adjusting and repositioning the four speaker columns over many months to hear how different locations sound in the listening space I realize I will want to be able easily to move the amps around as I move the speakers around. I could wrestle the VTL MB-750s a couple of feet here or there by myself as each of them weighs only 120 pounds. But there is no way I can move a Siegfried by myself.

So until I settle on initial speaker positions after a few months of playing around I want to be able to roll the amplifiers around as I move the four speaker columns around.

Hence, this thread:

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/vibration-isolating-amplifier-stands-on-wheels.26848/

Last edited:

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I have been excited about, and looking forward to ordering and using, two Stacore Basic+s for the VTL Siegfried II amplifiers (each mono amplifier weighs 200 pounds). I still am going to order the Stacore platforms for the amplifiers at some point.

But as I think through the smaller details about putting the components of the system in the room sometime next year and adjusting and repositioning the four speaker columns over many months to hear how different locations sound in the listening space I realize I will want to be able easily to move the amps around as I move the speakers around. I could wrestle the VTL MB-750s a couple of feet here or there by myself as each of them weighs only 120 pounds. But there is no way I can move a Siegfried by myself.

So until I settle on initial speaker positions after a few months of playing around I want to be able to roll the amplifiers around as I move the four speaker columns around.

Hence, this thread:

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/vibration-isolating-amplifier-stands-on-wheels.26848/
just a thought:

moving the speakers around is a must!, but parallel moving the Siegfrieds around can be critical, as they are huge (hight) and can case different reflections, if not in the same distance/position to the speakers.
I do have for this purpose some long entry level speaker cable, that the amps do not disturb the finding of the best speaker position.
Than you can find the best place for the Siegfried, as they influence the speaker reflections and do sound different, depending on the in room bass mode pressure on the final place.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Good ideas, Shakti and Folsom. Thank you!

Shakti, maybe having the rear panels of the Siegfrieds facing out towards the listener would defuse reflections off the front of the case? Other than aesthetics it has always made more sense to me to have the rear contnection panel of amplifiers facing outward so you have shorter distances between the speaker and the amplifier?

Last edited:

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
My experience with the VTL S400 (on Universum III) is , that the amp does not suffer too much from little longer speaker cables (tried 4ft and 6ft and 8ft, same cable), the difference in sound was bigger, moving the S400 a half meter forward or backward , if listening a little louder. Your Poseidon will have more significant bass power pressure on the placement line of the speakers, seems to be important for the VTL (my Boulder does not care, my CAT Statement is even more sensitive)

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Shakti, when you moved the amp, I assume you changed the speaker cable for a different length? Or did the height of the amp cause issues in imaging with the same cable?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Shakti, when you moved the amp, I assume you changed the speaker cable for a different length? Or did the height of the amp cause issues in imaging with the same cable?
moving amps and speakers are done with a standard but long speaker cable.
On the final position of speaker and amps I try "best" speaker cable, depending on the amp.
(currently different for Boulder or VTL S-400)

As the Universum III have outside binding posts on separate boxes, I can try different cable length with now problem, with CAT Statement mono amps even cable jumpers are long enough for a proper connection.

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
Dear Ron,

First of all it's an honor to be chosen by you as amplifier decoupling, thank you very much!

I can say what I'd do, perhaps you will find it useful. I'd follow the orders of influence on the sound. Although proper vibration isolation is IMHO a very important part of sound shaping, it's influence is in most cases of a lower order than speaker positioning, or in general speaker - room interface. The latter is of a paramount importance, and is of the highest, apart from the speakers themselves, order of influence. Thus, I'd first settle with the speaker positioning, using whatever means are convenient to move the equipment around, and only after that start adding proper vibration isolation.

Hope this helps,
Jarek

Hence, this thread:

Reactions: Uk Paul

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Jarek.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
These are the speaker terminals on the passive cross-over of the Pendragon ribbon panels.

Kodo.jpg

Do these terminals look like they accept banana plugs? No, right?

These terminals look to me like they accept only spade lugs.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
These are the speaker terminals on the passive cross-over of the Pendragon ribbon panels.

View attachment 45959

Do these terminals look like they accept banana plugs? No, right?

These terminals look to me like they accept only spade lugs.

Ron, actually they do look like they could accept bananas. Probably a smaller diameter banana, but the hole in the center of the terminal looks to be for exactly that!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, actually they do look like they could accept bananas. Probably a smaller diameter banana, but the hole in the center of the terminal looks to be for exactly that!

A banana plug is a standardized plug. A “mini banana” is not a standard plug. I think the hole in the center looks too small to except a male banana, and that is why I think the terminal cannot accept a banana plug.

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I think they do standard. The knobs are extra big for torque on spades. 8awg and bigger cables are heavy and need the torque.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
A banana plug is a standardized plug. A “mini banana” is not a standard plug. I think the hole in the center looks too small to except a male banana, and that is why I think the terminal cannot except a banana plug.

Actually I fail to see you delineating on your prior post as to which type of banana plug you were inquiring about. Nonetheless, it certainly looks to me as if a banana type of termination would work. Whether you are satisfied with the particular type of banana plug, is another question.
Personally, I don’t like bananas as a termination regardless of the size....much better to go with a decent spade, IME.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think they do standard. The knobs are extra big for torque on spades. 8awg and bigger cables are heavy and need the torque.

Sorry, Folsom. I don’t understand. What do you mean “they do standard”?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing