Rowland Model 825 2-chassis Stereo Power Amplifier

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Rowland has released a new very high end stereo amp -- the Model 825 2-chassis stereo power amplifier during Q2 2013. The m825 is a stereo two-chassis implementation derived from the Model 925 4-chassis monoblock amplifier. Here is what I have learned this far about M825:

• MODEL 825 – 2-chassis stereo power amp: 1 audio chassis and 1 power supply chassis
• OUTPUT POWER: 400W @ 8 ohms/750W @ 4 ohms
• FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 5 Hz - 50 kHz
• INPUT IMPEDANCE: 40k ohms
• THD + NOISE: 0.004%, 20 Hz- 20 kHz
• DAMPING FACTOR: > 1000, 20 Hz - 20 kHz
• OVERALL GAIN: Switchable 26/32 dB
• Combined AMPLIFIER chassis & POWER SUPPLY chassis WEIGHT: 160.4 lb / 73 kg
• TOTAL DIMENSIONS (H/W/D): 16.5" x 15.5" x 16.25" -- 419mm x 394mm x 413mm
• List price: $32,000

I will update the information as I learn more about the device.

Regards, Guido

Last edited:

wizard

Oct 17, 2010
wizard-highend.blogspot.com

Last edited:

musicargyle

Jan 28, 2013
Heard them w/ an all Rowland system/Revel Salon 2's and it was very dynamic. A bit bright but only a week old. Also a chunky mass:
Less a design hit than the smaller 625 or 725 units IMO but lots of CNC surfaces to admire.

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Hy Musicargyle, where have you heard M825? Perhaps at Renaissance Audio in Dallas? Do you happen to know what the rest of the system was.... front end, preamplification, cabling?

M825 is styled identically to M625, except that the lower power supply chassis is in itself about one inch thicker than M625. The combined lower and upper chassis is about three times as thick as M625.... Yes, a chunky creature all together.

If M825 had signs of tizziness or hardness, I suspect as well that it might have been quite new, or going through one of its periodic "bad attitude days" during the earlier stages of break-in... It is also possible that it perhaps might not have liked the cabling complement.

Guido

musicargyle

Jan 28, 2013
Listening session: Aeris, Corus, 825, good transport w/ rebook CD's. ALL the newest Nordost uber cable (more than twice the cost of the speakers & all the electronics) and the SPL's were generally above my personal pleasure point. Overall height of the 825 is greater than 2x that of the 625 or 725 and the resulting proportions I found less visually magical. IMO, somewhat overwhelming to the otherwise delicate beauty of the newest generation JRDG chassis work. The large surface area of the undulating polished aluminum 825 faceplate works less well than I would have imagined in such an massive and imposing unit. Odd as it sounds, a black or darker silver faceplate option in this case might actually mitigate this shiny/chunky mass effect, but as in much industrial design this is to a degree a matter of taste. No doubt the design is 95% the result of functionality for the 825 casework, but one can not peer into and see light pass through the much deeper heat sinks. I very much admire the visual beauty of the thinner 625/725 units radiused Venturi heat sink milling. However the ultimate design of outcome of the 825 will not deter prospective buyers. Likely this amp will require many many hours to settle in as the unit I heard was a newborn. The soundstage was deep w/ very far defined corners,
,spatial and holographic. The power and resolution was there in spades and the 825 even at this point was memorable.
With the 825, the bass on the Salon 2's was simply tidal, controlled , and as profoundly moving and emotionally engaging as any low frequency sounds I have experienced in home audio. The Salon 2's are stellar in this system, making me believe it has few limits, power not withstanding. Not bad for a $22k speaker!!!
I have never been deeply knowledgable about the Nordost product line in my own system except for PC's so it would be very unfair of me to make a judgement about the unber Nordost stuff other than it is seems very neutral at high ZSPL's. It was a lovely evening that left me wanting a more beefy Rowland amp. Soon I think.
I have always enjoyed the pragmatic design of JRDG electronic (an owner since the year Jeff opened his doors) and I would like to have a chance to learn to love the big 825 in my system.

Last edited:

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
You are right... M625 is 5.7 inches tall, while the combined height of both M825 chassis is 16.5 inches... just about a chunkerizing 3X factor... I appreciate that you may prefer less gleam on the front plate... I will ask the factory if pewter or charcoal might be available options... I have heard that Gold may have been in a pic, so why not something a bit more understated as well?!

Regarding revel Salon, I am not surprised that you loved them... So does Jeff Rowland... And so do I. If I did not have Vienna Die Muzik, which by the way do wonderful things with my M925, I would give Revel a more than serious look.
Guido

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Hi Musicargyle, I spoke to the factory today.... If you heard M825 at the Renaissance Audio event in Dallas, the amp had likely less than two days of music making on it.... And yes, that young an amp would suffer of some minor squeakers *grins*

I asked about optional liveries... The only faceplate available is the 'Platinum" that you have seen.... Even the golden plate reported in a pic from a show in Asia must have been an artifact of the camera... The only color available worldwide, is welll... Platinum.

Saluti, Guido

Last edited:

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
All, I have received the list of RMAF suites where we will be able to listen to Rowland amps coming Friday through Sunday. In particular, M825 will be making music in two different suites:

* M825 stereo amp, Aeris DAC, and the Capri Series 2 preamp will be playing in suite 8032 with Joseph Audio speakers and Cardas Clear wires.

* M825 and Aeris will also be heard with Lawrence Audio in Tower Room 1122.

In room 2001, the Rowland suite, Continuum S2 will be playing with Aeris... Driving Raidho speakers and wired with Cardas Cleaar and Clear Beyond. Other Rowland products will be mostly on static display in room 2000 and 2001: including M925 monos, M825 stereo, M725 monos, M625 stereo, M525 bridgeable, Corus linestage, and Capri S2 pre.

Saluti, Guido

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Guido, I presume by your above post that the 825 will not be playing in the Raidho room. That is a pity as I suspect that combo would be the best of the one's mentioned above in the other rooms. BTW, am I correct is stating that the 825 and the 925's are class D amps?? Seems to be some confusion as to this point. Thanks for the clarification.

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Hi DaveyF, Raidho will be driven by Continuum S2 in the Rowland suite... I would have loved to see M825 or M925 driving Die Muzik in the Vienna Acoustics suite... I happen to own the M925+Die Muzik combination and know how well it works together... We all have our own preference *grins!*

On M825/M925 internals, there is some initial information that has just been posted to the Rowland knowledge base, according to which the output stage only, is based on Ncore designed by Bruno Putzeys.

http://jeffrowlandgroup.com/kb/categories.php?categoryid=213

http://jeffrowlandgroup.com/kb/categories.php?categoryid=212

G.

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Yes, the Ncore technology of the output stage runs in class D... While it is a small part of the entire amp, it is one of the elements contributing to the magic that these creatures deliver.

Will you be attending RMAF?

G.

G.

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Neil Gader at TAS has commented about the sound of Rowland Aeris + Capri S2 + M825 + Joseph Audio Pearl 3 + Cardas Clear/Beyond at RMAF 2013:

"... I was lured into the room as if by tractor beam by the
rich buoyant and involving sounds of Elvis singing “Peace in the Valley”-one of Acoustic Sounds superb new pressings, naturally. Power was courtesy of
Rowland’s mega, 160 lb, *400Wpc, switch mode, 825 amp ($32,000) with Aeris DAC and Capri preamp ($4300 with phono!) the high contrast sonics conjured up
dark walnut tones, the stunningly warm and discrete chorus images and of course* the effortless highs and top end air that didn’t always appear in such
abundance in early Class D. ..."

See:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/rocky-mtn-audio-fest-2013-part-1/

Note that only M825 utilizes class D Ncore technology in the output stage... Conversely, Capri S2 runs in class A, like most every other
linestage/pre. I did visit the suite twice, and it was in fact quite a delicious musical experience.

G.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
are most (all?) of jeffs power amps now switch mode?

i spoke with him last year about upgrades for a model 5, he basically doesnt offer it and if his older amps require a major repair (where he no longer can source output transitors) they gut the chassis and install class-d modules utilizing the existing PS. have you seen the size of the model 5? its not the sort of conversation you'll show off to your friends.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

i spoke with him last year about upgrades for a model 5, he basically doesnt offer it and if his older amps require a major repair (where he no longer can source output transitors) they gut the chassis and install class-d modules utilizing the existing PS. have you seen the size of the model 5? its not the sort of conversation you'll show off to your friends.

The 725 is the only Class A/B amp in the Rowland line.

GuidoCorona

Apr 23, 2010
Summerville (SC)
Hi Puroagave, the M625 stereo and M725 monos run their output stages in somewhat high bias class A/B... Other Rowland amps utilize a variety of class D technologies for the output stages. M825 and M925 in particular, use Ncore technology... Far cry from the ICEpower of old!

I have owned M625, M725, and now M925... They are all excellent in their own way, but I much prefer M925 both for musicality and resolution.

It is incredible that Jeff will still consider touching the internals of M5... He released it 27 years ago in 1986.

G.

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
As Guido has clarified, the 625 and 725 designs utilize high bias class A/B output stages while the 825 and 925 use class D Ncore output stages. However they all use variations of Jeff's custom designed power factor corrected switched mode power supplies (SMPS). It is a common misconception that SMPS designs are inherently class D, while in fact the choice of power supply design (conventional linear vs. SMPS) and the class of output stage operation (class A, A/B, or D) are two completely independent design decisions.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing