SAT Direct Drive Turntable!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Nishikawa san point is on the vertical stability of the platter. It is difficult if not impossible to machine a platter to mount exactly perpendicular to the central shaft. During rotation, some vertical vibration will present. If the shaft is not strong enough compared to the weight of the platter, the vertical movement will be amplified.

'if the shaft is not strong enough' then is the question. and maybe whether those three bolts have a purpose related to making the shaft strong enough?

TLi

May 27, 2016
'if the shaft is not strong enough' then is the question. and maybe whether those three bolts have a purpose related to making the shaft strong enough?
I think the three bolts are there to hold the chassis of motor in place, maybe able to fine tune the vertical axis of the shaft. They do nothing to strengthen the rigidity of the shaft.

The thing is, platter will swing during rotation. It requires a strong support below to stabilize the swing. All shaft in direct drive TT is relatively small compared to the platter. The swing is not well damped leading to problems.

At least, that is what I understand of this matter.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Is much changing, or is it just more of the same with different materials. Is this really just not that significant given the tiny interest in high end vinyl?

In one sense not much is changing - the issues - the physics if you will - that pose challenges to getting a platter to quietly and reliably rotate at 33? remain the same.

The machining tools and ability to work with more exotic materials continues to change and advance, sometimes to the point where new implementations become possible.

I don't know whether the desire and the financing to do large-scale assaults on the state of the art have changed or not. How many more generations will have the where-with-all to fund and/or pay for the likes of the AF0/AF1, AS2000, etc. in order play a vinyl record?

I do believe the advent of digital technology in the service of analog accuracy is newer. The use of computers and software add the facility of tremendous speed in feedback and response time. I see this mostly (only?) happening in the DD realm and not with belt drives, but maybe there is something amongst the belters that I missed.

Go back to part 1 of Peter Moncreiff's review of the Rockport Serius III as he trudges step by ponderous step through his drive type analysis. What has changed? Not that much for belt, idler, rim. Maybe the use of advanced materials for belts? From my perspective the changes to the extent they are happening for drive systems is occuring in DD-land.

Elsewhere there is the use of newer materials for damping, resonance/vibration control.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
There seem to be a number of members here who have done some research on motor technology. I too wonder about that claim for the Technics motor. On what is it based, and how was testing performed? I think its great that a large company like Technics has reentered the turntable/motor drive area. Their scale and R&D budgets can only be good for the industry.

I'm not sure just what are the claims for the Technics motor. Most of what I find is either repeating Technics own literature -or- Michael Fremer.

Wasn't quite sure how to take M.Fremer's comments about a pre-production version of the Technics SL-1000R, to wit:
It was clear from the first record played that this turntable's speed accuracy and consistency was on a new level of excellence. I didn't need to measure it to hear it. ... [He then proceeds to measure the table with his cell phone using the Feickert PlatterSpeed app] Those results prove that the SP-10R "engine" is either the most accurate or among a handful of the most accurate turntables ever designed and manufactured.

Cell phone app provides proof, eh - but he didn't need measurements. Not sure what he was comparing the SL-1000R with to claim "a new level of excellence". Whatever it was, I was pleased that he could hear a difference. I too believe increased stable accuracy is quite audible in ways beyond the old-world wow & flutter standard. However, for actual claims about measured performance I haven't seen much else.

The motor itself is described by Technics thus:
The motor that forms the heart of the direct drive turntable is based on the coreless
direct drive motor that was developed for the SL-1200G launched in 2016, and further
improved. The double coil twin rotor-type coreless direct drive motor that was newly
developed for this purpose had coils on both sides for 12-pole, 18-coil drive, with high
enough torque to drive the heavyweight-class platter (approximately 7.9-kg). Offsetting
the coils on both sides 60 degrees improved the rigidity of the substrate, suppressing fine
vibrations and reducing self-inductance. These improvements achieved stable rotation
of 0.015% wow and flutter or less, which is considered to be the measurement limit.
Also, the thrust bearings supporting the heavyweight-class platter use a special
engineering plastic to provide both high rigidity and reliability.

Okay. But what we have not heard from Technics is a number for peak error from 33? - and how is that measured. As with many TT manufacturers, information about the drive system is not easily available.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Does this happen with belt drive tables that use the same motor?

Eg, AS2000 and AFO. Do they have the same sonic signature?

You will find out once we get compare reports from Mr.T that everyone is expecting

Last edited:
Reactions: Audiophile Bill

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

No, if the rest of the turntable is up to scratch the motor brings certain qualities that mostly affect pitch clarity which is very important for getting closer to a natural sound. The nature of the sound of a turntable and how much information is retrieved from the grooves, tone, timbre, etc. and naturalness come from other decisions one makes, because of that these two turntables will be very different sounding in their essence.

david

Reactions: Lagonda

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

No, probably they do not have exactly the same sonic signature, the motor implementations differ in several important aspects, such as electrical drive system, but they will share some characteristics - we can think they will not have the characteristic sound created by a servo system keeping maximum speed accuracy. But the main turntables are very different.

As far as I know conceptually the SAT turntable is in the same class as many modified turntables and plinth builders - but probably optimized for the SAT tonearms. The SAT tonearm has a typical sound - I like it a lot, but IMHO it does not pretend to be a mastertape type of sound. IMHO we will learn a lot from comparisons between the stock Technics turntable and the SAT turntable.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
My initial hesitation is that a ton of effort looks to have been expended on the tt, from platter to arm mount to plinth to suspension, so much so it's unrecognisable from the stock SP10R.

Yet the motor psu looks untouched, no fancy chassis for vibration isolation etc

An oversight? Certainly at the price SAT will charge, I'd want the whole thing unrecognisable from stock.

Reactions: bonzo75 and Lagonda

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
My initial hesitation is that a ton of effort looks to have been expended on the tt, from platter to arm mount to plinth to suspension, so much so it's unrecognisable from the stock SP10R. (...)

Some modified Garrard's or Lenco's just keep little more than the motor and the general concept ...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) What next for SAT, a heavilly modded SME V?

I can imagine that if SME accepted to sell him the SME30 as an OEM part Gomez would love to modify it. A couple of years ago the SME/30 - SAT tonearm combo become very popular - to the the point it was hard to source an used SME30 in Europe.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I can imagine that if SME accepted to sell him the SME30 as an OEM part Gomez would love to modify it. A couple of years ago the SME/30 - SAT tonearm combo become very popular - to the the point it was hard to source an used SME30 in Europe.

Fransisco, did you ever hear this combination? What made it such a popular combination a few years ago? I wonder if it is still popular a few years later, or if people moved on. I don't see many used SME30s or SAT arms around. In fact, given how many SME 30s and 30/12s have been made over the years, I am surprised more are not available on Audiogon or similar sites.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Fransisco, did you ever hear this combination? What made it such a popular combination a few years ago? I wonder if it is still popular a few years later, or if people moved on. I don't see many used SME30s or SAT arms around. In fact, given how many SME 30s and 30/12s have been made over the years, I am surprised more are not available on Audiogon or similar sites.

How many SAT had sold till a couple of years ago, and how many SAT owners do you think had SME? How can it be concluded that this was a popular combination? Obviously, anyone buying SAT would have thought it was the premium top arm he was buying, and he would have put it on any table that he owned, whether techdas, SME, or anything else.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

No, I never listened to the combination, but it was reported to me by a SAT distributor and the SME30 pairing was recommended by Marc Gomez himself as a great match. Having sold my SME30, I regretted the decision and started looking for a nice used one in Europe three years ago - at that time people confirmed me of this trend.

As far as I know the sales of new SME30 declined but the SMEV is still a strong seller.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
No, I never listened to the combination, but it was reported to me by a SAT distributor and the SME30 pairing was recommended by Marc Gomez himself as a great match. Having sold my SME30, I regretted the decision and started looking for a nice used one in Europe three years ago - at that time people confirmed me of this trend.

As far as I know the sales of new SME30 declined but the SMEV is still a strong seller.
I haven't heard Marc said any tt was not a good match to his arm Micro. :D He also said to me Brinkmann Balance is a great match. I don't quite get what you meant when said SAT has a "typical sound." What is that typical sound. And why does it not pretend to be a master tape type sound. Do you meaan it actually sounds like a master tape and not have to pretend. Equipment does not pretend people do imo. ;)

Tang

Reactions: bonzo75

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
How many SAT had sold till a couple of years ago, and how many SAT owners do you think had SME? How can it be concluded that this was a popular combination? Obviously, anyone buying SAT would have thought it was the premium top arm he was buying, and he would have put it on any table that he owned, whether techdas, SME, or anything else.

I inferred from what Fransisco wrote that people were buying used SME30s to pair with their SAT arms. He noticed a shortage of used SME30s in Europe for this reason. Perhaps people thought the SME30 was a good value on the used market and that the combination with the SAT arm was a particularly good one at a reasonable cost. I don't really know, just trying to figure out what Fransisco was saying.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Michael Fremer just posted this article covering SAT's announcemernt of the debut of the new XD1 DD turntable at Munich High End.

0419SATINTRO.jpg

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I haven't heard Marc said any tt was not a good match to his arm Micro. :D He also said to me Brinkmann Balance is a great match. I don't quite get what you meant when said SAT has a "typical sound." What is that typical sound. And why does it not pretend to be a master tape type sound. Do you meaan it actually sounds like a master tape and not have to pretend. Equipment does not pretend people do imo. ;)
Tang

We have different information - there was plenty of information on this subject some years ago. See for example - https://www.monoandstereo.com/2016/03/swedish-analog-technologies-sme-302.html .

I have listened to the SAT and the top Graham in a friend system that owns tapes - a Studer 820 and Telefunken M15. Same cartridge , same turntable, as Ked likes and wants to do. They sound completely different, I would say it was a different LP being played! So I report what is my opinion - the SAT enhances the sound, the Graham sounded more like the tape or top digital. Surely IMHO, YMMV.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
We have different information - there was plenty of information on this subject some years ago. See for example - https://www.monoandstereo.com/2016/03/swedish-analog-technologies-sme-302.html .

I have listened to the SAT and the top Graham in a friend system that owns tapes - a Studer 820 and Telefunken M15. Same cartridge , same turntable, as Ked likes and wants to do. They sound completely different, I would say it was a different LP being played! So I report what is my opinion - the SAT enhances the sound, the Graham sounded more like the tape or top digital. Surely IMHO, YMMV.

I like to hear it both the same and optimized (in which case it can be different, to understand if different arms suit different carts and vice versa) :). Looks like you are using "like ked" and "like tape" as the references

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I like to hear it both the same and optimized (in which case it can be different, to understand if different arms suit different carts and vice versa) :). Looks like you are using "like ked" and "like tape" as the references
You are the great Comperator, oh chosen one;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing