SET amp owners thread

Yes you are correct, I should have been more clear. I was attempting to say they work fine in a traditional amp and nothing has to be changed to accommodate them.

Thank you for this. I have been looking around for a straight answer to this question! I'm currently running Audio Note 4300E/300Bs in my Sun Audio SET and I like them although they may be a tiny bit on the bright side in my setup. Won't know for sure until I try the Elrogs!

IMG_0937.jpeg

I am somewhat the same with my relatively new Shindo gear, trying to get a handle on it before I change anything.

One observation I would make is that my analog sound has improved drastically since I have been using the Monbrison. I have always had a preference for vinyl but the difference is now quite remarkable. The strength or at least a strength of the Shindo design seems to be in its phono stage.

What did you end up buying for speakers?
Auditorium 23 Hommage a Ken. A Shindo design, built by Keith Aschenbrenner.

Thank you for this. I have been looking around for a straight answer to this question! I'm currently running Audio Note 4300E/300Bs in my Sun Audio SET and I like them although they may be a tiny bit on the bright side in my setup. Won't know for sure until I try the Elrogs!

View attachment 105032
That’s a sweet little amp! I have Psvane 300B black bottles (big vintage sound) and the Elrogs which are more modern sounding. It’s cool to have both.

Elrog > KR and both quite better than Psvane or Takatsuki, and EML mesh. Both are more transparent to recordings. Takatsuki better for meatier midrange. The new WE reissues seem good but haven't done a proper compare to Elrog and KR. I think transparency works better if you have a good analog source with good pressings, otherwise you will need meatier midrange to color the recording.
I would concur...the Elrog voicing found its way. Being stuck in 300B-Land is not the worst locale and in a large number of systems (which can benefit from some love), provide a soft landing. Very few 300b circuits get me all the way to the music.

Last edited:
What's your favorite output tube with an output rating within 8 watts of the 300B? 8 watts more or close to the
same output without delving down to true low power such as the 2a3 or 45.

The 520B, 572B, 811.10, gm70, 6L6GC, 845, 211 etc. etc.

I have a weakness for the GM70. I also think the 6l6gc can have much of the magic of the
300b when implemented well...and perhaps a bit more extension. (the 300b does have extension, it's just that many of the circuits cooked up for it are from the the golden era of amp manufacturing, when
speakers didn't go very high or very low...listen to Allen Wright's (Vacuum State) 300b's for instance or the Trafomatic Glenns and the extension is remarkable...The Reimyo PAT-777 was excellent in this regard as well )

Reactions: the sound of Tao
What's your favorite output tube with an output rating within 8 watts of the 300B? 8 watts more or close to the
same output without delving down to true low power such as the 2a3 or 45.

The 520B, 572B, 811.10, gm70, 6L6GC, 845, 211 etc. etc.

I have a weakness for the GM70. I also think the 6l6gc can have much of the magic of the
300b when implemented well...and perhaps a bit more extension. (the 300b does have extension, it's just that many of the circuits cooked up for it are from the the golden era of amp manufacturing, when
speakers didn't go very high or very low...listen to Allen Wright's (Vacuum State) 300b's for instance or the Trafomatic Glenns and the extension is remarkable...The Reimyo PAT-777 was excellent in this regard as well )
since i've heard this amp and some diy amps with this tube rs 1003(srs551) i'm sure that it doesn't always have to be triodes to hear music happily. very clean bass, beautiful detailed mids (voices) and unobtrusive heights that do not disturb the music enjoyment. for me one of the best tubes I know. maybe that's something for you. It delivers 12-20 watts depending on the mode of operation and also drives normal loudspeakers from 90db/1watt.
Or diy 12 watt
1841003.jpg

Reactions: Fred Crane
since i've heard this amp and some diy amps with this tube rs 1003(srs551) i'm sure that it doesn't always have to be triodes to hear music happily. very clean bass, beautiful detailed mids (voices) and unobtrusive heights that do not disturb the music enjoyment. for me one of the best tubes I know. maybe that's something for you. It delivers 12-20 watts depending on the mode of operation and also drives normal loudspeakers from 90db/1watt.
Or diy 12 watt
View attachment 105096
I'm not looking per se. I just like to hear about other people's favorites...especially those who may have heard something outside my envelope of experience.

I compared the Rike audio 20se with NAF 2a3, Silvercore 833c, Riviera 50w hybrid and Jadis 100w integrated on Devore O96. The NAF 2a3 was clearly better. More nuanced, see through into recordings, overall musicality.
They make pretty amps. My 3rd favorite 2a3 thus far.

I'm not looking per se. I just like to hear about other people's favorites...especially those who may have heard something outside my envelope of experience.

I like GM70, 14 watts, made by Audio Detail in UK. I also like Thomas Mayer 46, but it will under drive many speakers, unless I ever get to hear a push pull version that sounds close. Some Eimac amps are good for higher power, having heard Silvercore, Trafomatic, and hope to hear NAT with Eimac soon.

SETs is a question of matching drive/grip with the required speaker. This match differs a lot. Usually the higher powered speakers have more grip and lower powered speakers less, but it is less a question of loudness in wattage, rather more of drive matching. Some horns do not want too much grip.

As such, speaker owners should find what zone their match is in. 46, 45, 2a3 is one zone, and 300b singled ended sub 10 watts falls there, while higher powered 300bs usually sound less good but can be nice where more power is required. Then push pulls of 2a3 and 300b in slightly more power. Silvercore 833c (good value for money as relatively inexpensive, but not all out), Lamm, KR fall in the higher powered category, but lesser power than the Eimac ones. GM70 if well made seems to give as much nuance and agility as lower powered tubes but with 211 oomph.

So it requires a bit of matching, tube rolling, driver rolling, then one has to optimize the amp as far as it can go without giving up the voicing, .i.e. get right quality transformers, caps, etc. All this requires some amount of playing around, serendipity, and dig into rabbit hole work.

Triodes aside, Misho's single ended pentode is magic with Altecs with his entire chain, and EL84 push pulls can be great value for money too. There are many other exotic low powered tubes though, 50, AD1, RE 604, so permutations and combinations galore.

In the very high powered category, KR audio circlotron was excellent but not many were made. And their number of tubes and tube cost is too high.

They make pretty amps. My 3rd favorite 2a3 thus far.

What are the first 2. If they are single ended, NAF is parallel, so it can't compare but is required for speakers like Devore which need more drive.

without having built squat, I would be a little less persistant in recommending anything
it´s an art of mix and match to get the sound you desire, whatever OPT or other iron, you end of using......
it takes years of experience to know what does what and why in which combination
with good intentions.....

without having built squat, I would be a little less persistant in recommending anything
it´s an art of mix and match to get the sound you desire, whatever OPT or other iron, you end of using......
it takes years of experience to know what does what and why in which combination
with good intentions.....

Oh, it is not instant. It can take years. And one does not have to build, but find a good amp designer who is willing to optimize to person's taste. I am not recommending an individual modding an amp, but the amp designer himself, so you retain his philosophy and voicing.

Last edited:
The whole point is after listening to many SETs, once some stand out, it is better to optimize those. Whole expensive stacks of Kondo, Lamm, etc are just good, but do not have the ability for an individual to optimize. While something that you can find on a smaller scale, that is point to point, where amp designer is willing to help optimize, will get you a better amp. In SETs, unlike with Dagostino, Krell, Audionet, Boulder, or Audio REsarch etc, such optimization is easier to implement.

my present 300B´s are a result of a 20+ years old journey, which is still not at it´s final destination ;)

I do know you have gone all out on your 300bs, the question is how would GM70s, 211s, 2a3s, different circuit philosophies, etc have worked on your speaker.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu