SET amp owners thread

I don´t doubt that but would still like to see the frequency plot from listening pos....
that would tell me more than your subjective experience

It would tell you if you are more aligned to Hiraga or Carlos.

What an audiophile needs more of. For those unfamiliar with rock just need to wait till the end of the clip.

ps: Cheap repress. Sounds not so good on phone but quite nice when streamed to a soundbar or such.

This excerpt sounds significantly more bloated than the other two, seems the system was tuned more towards classical music playback. I find it difficult to achieve a balance in my setup with dual servo sub stacks to achieve both, reason being not the room itself, but that classical music for the most part, in particular those legendary old recordings, have a neutral balance and respond well to a flat frequency spectrum in the room where the subs integrate to where they disappear, but then, with rock and prog rock, let alone modern compressed pop music, depending on the album or track, it may sound as if the system had been set up perfectly even (which it measurably is) or by a headbanger in love with his subs.

I realize presets/settings for type of music (and volume settings, e.g. for late-night listening!) might help, but I'm old-fashioned, plus I do listen to classical music primarily, so a neutral balance works best. What I'm wondering about in this excerpt is whether the bloating in the lower midrange is a function of the recording or the sonic balance in the room. That would obviously be bothersome for any type of music.

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

Last edited:
Reactions: morricab
This excerpt sounds significantly more bloated than the other two, seems the system was tuned more towards classical music playback. I find it difficult to achieve a balance in my setup with dual servo sub stacks to achieve both, reason being not the room itself, but that classical music for the most part, in particular those legendary old recordings, have a neutral balance and respond well to a flat frequency spectrum in the room where the subs integrate to where they disappear, but then, with rock and prog rock, let alone modern compressed pop music, depending on the album or track, it may sound as if the system had been set up perfectly even (which it measurably is) or by a headbanger in love with his subs.

I realize presets/settings for type of music (and volume settings, e.g. for late-night listening!) might help, but I'm old-fashioned, plus I do listen to classical music primarily, so a neutral balance works best. What I'm wondering about in this excerpt is whether the bloating in the lower midrange is a function of the recording or the sonic balance in the room. That would obviously be bothersome for any type of music.

This wasn't bloated at all in room nor is when I play back on my phone or stream to my small speaker. On phone the weight is much less and not representative (compared to my other system videos and that might be due to some distance issue. I was sitting further back than usual).

When I heard the Altec 817 at Misho's it was by far the best rock I heard, and also had a great pressing and he had tapes. Over here the pressings wasn't as good but it was still great. With pink Floyd pressing will play a big role

Last edited:
This wasn't bloated at all in room nor is when I play back on my phone or stream to my small speaker. On phone the weight is much less and not representative (compared to my other system videos and that might be due to some distance issue. I was sitting further back than usual).

When I heard the Altec 817 at Misho's it was by far the best rock I heard, and also had a great pressing and he had tapes. Over here the pressings wasn't as good but it was still great.
I for one happen to find recordings and playback via YouTube hardly representative of the actual in-room experience to begin with, and pointless unless listened to on high-quality headphones.

I for one happen to find recordings and playback via YouTube hardly representative of the actual in-room experience to begin with, and pointless unless listened to on high-quality headphones.

i play it back on both phone and the soundbar (actually a sound box as I use a Naim Usually I get same analysis, sometimes it differs, then you have to know which one is correct, which is fine if you have heard it yourself or someone you trust has.

before iPhone 11 with older versions I never trusted my phone.

this system is not doing too well on the phone, but great on the box

i play it back on both phone and the soundbar (actually a sound box as I use a Naim Usually I get same analysis, sometimes it differs, then you have to know which one is correct, which is fine if you have heard it yourself or someone you trust has.

No doubt, as a reminder of something one has heard in person, it’s a different perspective and probably has greater value.

No doubt, as a reminder of something one has heard in person, it’s a different perspective and probably has greater value.

No I meant in person I can identify which is more representative when they differ

Mahler 3. This loses weight and quieter passage information on phone but is great and representative on headphones or streamed to a sound bar. Later decca performance and pressing, not like golden Decca’s

No I meant in person I can identify which is more representative when they differ
Notice we‘re really saying the same thing. You were there in person, hence are able to tell if the playback corresponds to what you heard.

Reactions: bonzo75

It's interesting that this seems to be more of a problem with active bass than with passive speakers, where mostly no such adjustment is possible...thoughts?

playing back a phone recording on a phone speaker IS NOT representative. Acousticsguru is right, only with high quality playback can you make an assessment. An iPhone basically has no bass to speak of, so of course it won't sound bloated. It also sounded bloated through my car stereo and headphones both.

playing back a phone recording on a phone speaker IS NOT representative. Acousticsguru is right, only with high quality playback can you make an assessment. An iPhone basically has no bass to speak of, so of course it won't sound bloated. It also sounded bloated through my car stereo and headphones both.
I didn’t say it did not sound bloated through my phone. I said it did not sound bloated in room, through my phone and through my Naim muso. Regarding what phone can and cannot do has been discussed for 5 years

I didn’t say it did not sound bloated through my phone. I said it did not sound bloated in room, through my phone and through my Naim muso. Regarding what phone can and cannot do has been discussed for 5 years
Phone for recordings, yes not for playback. Please don’t tell me you judge these things with a phone speaker…that is a joke.

• Haha
Reactions: acousticsguru
It's interesting that this seems to be more of a problem with active bass than with passive speakers, where mostly no such adjustment is possible...thoughts?
I disagree and can only assume it isn’t an apples to apples comparison you’re referring to: it’s got with physics, hence mostly the room than anything else, and I can see no reason why there would be a difference between active and passive provided the cabinet type is the same (and in particular if the active subs, as in my case, are servo-controlled open baffle, never encountered anything that would work alongside the room acoustics more rather against them). The only difference, physically, that I can think of, all else being equal, is that the damping of an active system may be adjustable (having said that, I’ve built passive speakers whose damping can be inductively adjusted over a wide range from vented to quasi-sealed). The main reason many active subs sound disintegrated is that their input signal is being tapped off a pre, so they do not share the sonic characteristics of the main speakers, a lack of coherence that tends to be magnified when the mains are driven by tube electronics and the subs by solid state via low-level signals.

Phone for recordings, yes not for playback. Please don’t tell me you judge these things with a phone speaker…that is a joke.

• Haha
Reactions: acousticsguru

is that why your active videos are shit?

i actually wrote in detail what I do with phone And my Naim box. Why are you so intellectually dishonest that you twist things to defend your argument regularly

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu