bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
This system, at least through the videos, sounds fabulous and I look forward to reading your report.

Interesting to note that no room treatments seem to have been implemented.

I was asking about mono played through a single speaker out of curiosity, but I guess no one you have visited has a dedicated mono setup?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This system, at least through the videos, sounds fabulous and I look forward to reading your report.

Interesting to note that no room treatments seem to have been implemented.

I was asking about mono played through a single speaker out of curiosity, but I guess no one you have visited has a dedicated mono setup?

No. I have heard the WE 16a in mono a couple of times.

i think western electrics and the bionor are great suited for mono.

i don’t know anyone using other set ups in mono but could be interesting.

this system is indeed excellent

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Mono piano concerto

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Stereo piano concerto

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
No. I have heard the WE 16a in mono a couple of times.

i think western electrics and the bionor are great suited for mono.

i don’t know anyone using other set ups in mono but could be interesting.

this system is indeed excellent

The violin videos you posted are particularly good. The high frequency extension is impressive. It's hard to tell from the videos how the subwoofer contributes to the sound, and I would be curious to know the specifics (what is the crossover frequency, do the midrange speakers have a high pass filter, etc...). Maybe you can include those details in your report.

Vis à vis mono, the owners of a stereo system may not be willing to unplug one channel, but it is, IMO, interesting to do because it can sound better even if you don't center the speaker in the room (provided you are facing the speaker playing). Not always...

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: hopkins

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Why is this, Kedar?

Because they are quite gigantic, so sometimes it is like listening to two mono speakers interfering with each other from left and right. Because of their large size it is difficult to make them integrate as one unless you have a concert hall. They were also made in the mono era. Individually they are quite complete - in terms of tone etc, so I would love to listen to them as just one. And the WE 16a plays as one and is quite enjoyable. The Bionor is better extended than the WE 16a.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterA

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
i think all giant speakers made in mono era are well suited for mono. There is a guy who sold his stereo collection and has a few thousand mono LPs, in Canada, with tannoy silver, made in the mono era. He has two mono speakers in the room. But tannoys are much smaller. If I had his mono collection I would get one WE or klangfilm or something in mono. I think stereo image is a different thing

I haven’t heard the above tannoy system but would love to

personally I think it is way cooler to listen to mono on one speaker than stereo

Last edited:

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
For my part I ran a secondary Mono only dedicated system for a number of years with several disparate single mono transducers (well one transducer setup actually comprised a pair of matched Quad 57’s stacked ) much fun to be had.

Reactions: jeff1225

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
For my part I ran a secondary Mono only dedicated system for a number of years with several disparate single mono transducers (well one transducer setup actually comprised a pair of matched Quad 57’s stacked ) much fun to be had.

Oh yes, stacked Quads should be good for mono.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Oh one more thing. Before this Jim had the Acapella Violon. While I never liked that speaker because of the midbass integration, the Goto mids and highs are also so much superior.

another case in speakers of Vintage Vinning?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This video captured the approval rating of the performance being felt through the system

Reactions: Ron Resnick

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
First ever performance of Beethoven’s vocal concerto

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Just saw your latest video: Dave Turnbull's system in London. That must have been fun/interesting to listen to...

No it was awful - that was back in July, looks like I had mind blocked the experience now was reminded of it due to another post

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing