SET amp owners thread

Falcon_wizard

Feb 1, 2018
For what it’s worth, I was able to compare the Mastersound Evolution 845 and the 300B PSE in my system. The Evo845 provided more nuance and effortless presentation. With my 94db passive full range speakers (impedance between 6 and 10ohm) in my 11x14 room, I need to bring the amp volume down to about 10 oclock to keep my preamp in its sweet spot of between 9 and 12 oclock. So in that set-up, the 55W of the Evo845 is definitely a lot more than needed. The 15W rated 300B has enough volume, but not as much refined, which I guess is where the headroom comes into play. I don’t have other data points regarding damping factor however. I had a couple PP amps and a Hybrid /OTL as well, but never achieved as much nuance and musicality as with the Evo845.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I have for the SE2SE and it was prodigious, over 100 watts with still acceptable distortion level (<3% if I remember correctly). Was really surprising to me from 2x211 not in PP. for sure deep Class A2 but distortion didn’t look so bad.
Hi Brad, that's interesting and pretty positive. I'm under no illusions that Nat isn't necessarily the cleanest amp in the world, but it's good to see it has serious grunt and heft w manageable/acceptable distortion.

I'm not gonna be too bothered some of the output might be Class A2. I suspect that the vast majority of the Nat is A1 in my situation.

SETDrugs

Feb 9, 2019
Fountain Valley, California
KR is not Ken rad. It is KR audio. Contact them directly you will get a good price, also check with best300b.com, and used market. Not low priced like JJ though.

Thanks for clearing KR name up with me. I'll have to look more into KR audio tubes if they are as good as you say. Right now I'm not sure if its due to my system really locking in on all parameters or its the addition of the Mayer 10y preamp but the JJ2a3-40 seems like a bargain of the century compared to the other modern 2a3s out there.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks for clearing KR name up with me. I'll have to look more into KR audio tubes if they are as good as you say. Right now I'm not sure if its due to my system really locking in on all parameters or its the addition of the Mayer 10y preamp but the JJ2a3-40 seems like a bargain of the century compared to the other modern 2a3s out there.

The three tube makers today are elrog, KR, EML (Well though they don't really make them anymore there are many of there tubes out there).. So in 2a3 since elrog is not producing by default KR should be the best choice. I normally will not go for any tubes from JJ, TJ music, and those Sophia type 300bs. Old valves can be great, if you know which to look for. Some experts on 2a3 NOS might be able to guide you there

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hi Brad, that's interesting and pretty positive. I'm under no illusions that Nat isn't necessarily the cleanest amp in the world, but it's good to see it has serious grunt and heft w manageable/acceptable distortion.

I'm not gonna be too bothered some of the output might be Class A2. I suspect that the vast majority of the Nat is A1 in my situation.
I am sure that at 10 watts or less the SE2SE is quite clean. As I mentioned, it was superior to a CAT JL2 Signature, a very well regarded and beastly 100 watt PP Class A triode amp. Transparency is not bad at all from what i remember. It also did not sound slow or particularly tubey in terms of tonality.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I am sure that at 10 watts or less the SE2SE is quite clean. As I mentioned, it was superior to a CAT JL2 Signature, a very well regarded and beastly 100 watt PP Class A triode amp. Transparency is not bad at all from what i remember. It also did not sound slow or particularly tubey in terms of tonality.

This was when compared on the apogees?

SETDrugs

Feb 9, 2019
Fountain Valley, California
The three tube makers today are elrog, KR, EML (Well though they don't really make them anymore there are many of there tubes out there).. So in 2a3 since elrog is not producing by default KR should be the best choice. I normally will not go for any tubes from JJ, TJ music, and those Sophia type 300bs. Old valves can be great, if you know which to look for. Some experts on 2a3 NOS might be able to guide you there

Regarding KR, I heard about reliability issues with them ever since the passing of the owner/founder Mr Kron ? Also what ever happen to the KR45. I haven't heard them mention as much and its not listed on some of the dealers websites. Some people prefer the 45 over 2a3 if power isn't concern.

Also, based on the performance to cost ratio why isn't JJ and EH (Electro Harmonix) getting more love on this forum? They seem to be getting favorable opinions elsewhere on the internet and some even prefer them over KR and EML.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Regarding KR, I heard about reliability issues with them ever since the passing of the owner/founder Mr Kron ? Also what ever happen to the KR45. I haven't heard them mention as much and its not listed on some of the dealers websites. Some people prefer the 45 over 2a3 if power isn't concern.

Also, based on the performance to cost ratio why isn't JJ and EH (Electro Harmonix) getting more love on this forum? They seem to be getting favorable opinions elsewhere on the internet and some even prefer them over KR and EML.

I don't like both JJ and EH. KR many of us use. Those who had issues easily had them replaced. We use EML as well.

Reactions: gian60 and SETDrugs

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Regarding KR, I heard about reliability issues with them ever since the passing of the owner/founder Mr Kron ? Also what ever happen to the KR45. I haven't heard them mention as much and its not listed on some of the dealers websites.
Hi SET
I have 3 KR Audio amps and a big lot of KR Audio tubes in several different Lampi DACs and I can tell you that there are absolutely no reliability issues with the KR Amps and tubes that I use (very intensely) ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: SETDrugs

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
I don't like both JJ and EH. KR many of us use. Those who had issues easily had them replaced. We use EML as well.
JJ and EH have had issues in the past. Not sure right now, but EH IMO were never top of the tree, more standard issue in a new amp.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
JJ and EH have had issues in the past. Not sure right now, but EH IMO were never top of the tree, more standard issue in a new amp.

Yeah they are basic, to keep amp retail cost cheaper

Reactions: gian60 and Tbzc

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Congratulations Exlibris!

You will be in for real treat. Which octal tube did you go with? I believe he has made octal preamp with few different tubes.

Thank you!
I honestly didn't ask about the tube compliment. I just assumed that it's the most recent version of the unit -- the one that appears in a 2018 blog post on his site.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I just read this thread now. I had an SET system about 20 years ago. Forsell transport and dac, Conrad Johnson Premier 14 linestage, Jadis 845 mono blocks and Metaphor 2 speakers.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Last edited:

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Congrats :cool:
Landscape or portay?

Landscape. The colour scheme on top will be like my 45 amp in the photo but the wooden boxes for the preamplifier will be black.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing