SET amp owners thread

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
That's the opposite of what I want. You should try the takatsuki though with 8 valves too expensive. The EML might be a cheaper option. Definitely don't go for KR or Elrog as they are cleaner sounding and less forward.

Sophia has less control but is airy in the mids which people like for vocals.
I won't make any changes yet for a couple of reasons. One is the sound is pretty fantastic overall -- best I've had. Another is that the tubes are breaking in and starting to sounds less "bleached". Finally, I think this could be a function of the silk tweeter in the Midas. The larger Odeons use a Mylar tweeter. I wonder if it's the tweeter that is making vocals sound slightly 'papery' around the edges.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I won't make any changes yet for a couple of reasons. One is the sound is pretty fantastic overall -- best I've had. Another is that the tubes are breaking in and starting to sounds less "bleached". Finally, I think this could be a function of the silk tweeter in the Midas. The larger Odeons use a Mylar tweeter. I wonder if it's the tweeter that is making vocals sound slightly 'papery' around the edges.

If you like the Allnic amp, you will also love their phono.

Reactions: Exlibris

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
That's the opposite of what I want. You should try the takatsuki though with 8 valves too expensive. The EML might be a cheaper option. Definitely don't go for KR or Elrog as they are cleaner sounding and less forward.

I gravitated to Sophias in the past for what they did on vocals but I agree about the lack of control -- especially in the bass.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com

I was reading about the KR 842VHD which, if I understand correctly, is a drop-in replacement for their 300BXL. Have you heard it? From the descriptions I've read, it's even 'cleaner' than the KR 300BXL.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
No I haven't.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

The Midas is an overall more lightweight sounding speaker than you will be getting. I heard them at my customers and compared to his big Odeons it was not the same galaxy. However, the Midas is an inexpensive speaker and for that money it is quite good indeed and easy to drive with nice amps, which further helps it's sound.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
The Midas is an overall more lightweight sounding speaker than you will be getting. I heard them at my customers and compared to his big Odeons it was not the same galaxy. However, the Midas is an inexpensive speaker and for that money it is quite good indeed and easy to drive with nice amps, which further helps it's sound.
The Midas really is quite good and a very good value. I didn't want to say anything about what it sounds like in comparison to the No. 28 because I heard them in different systems and different rooms but my impression is the same as yours.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The Midas really is quite good and a very good value. I didn't want to say anything about what it sounds like in comparison to the No. 28 because I heard them in different systems and different rooms but my impression is the same as yours.

Are you getting 28s or 33s?

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Ah ok, and when will you get the 33s?
I gave my dealer the down payment on Thursday and we hope to find out Monday if Odeon has a 33 on hand (perhaps a show model). If not, or if I don't like the colour scheme, I will have to order one built. (I'm not sure what colour scheme would be best for my place) At that point I will get an estimate on the delivery.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Read that A typical human expends approximately 2000 kcalories per day = 8368 kjoules ? 83 kcalories/hour ? 96.8 Watts (joules/sec). The human brain typically accounts for 20% of that energy, so a human brain runs on about 19 watts. That's the same as a 300b valve

Marc, what valve are you? 46? 50?

I am Eimac 405 TL

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Read that A typical human expends approximately 2000 kcalories per day = 8368 kjoules ? 83 kcalories/hour ? 96.8 Watts (joules/sec). The human brain typically accounts for 20% of that energy, so a human brain runs on about 19 watts. That's the same as a 300b valve

Marc, what valve are you? 46? 50?

I am Eimac 405 TL

That one has relatively low linearity...explains the non-linearity of your posts! ;) Perhaps if we apply some corrective negative feedback...

Reactions: bonzo75

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Its amazing how a simple cable change can affect things. I moved a ching cheng cable from my digital and replaced it with a Found Music cable. All snapped into place. Probably assisted by my new tubes settling in. All is running well now with the Black Shadow.

Reactions: asiufy

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That's really lovely

Reactions: the sound of Tao

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing