SET amp owners thread

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
What do you think is the minimum power requirement for vittora? Also, roughly a 7m x 5m room can work or is bigger required

Well the impedance curve is very tube friendly so a couple good quality watts should be plenty. I am still thinking about which 2A3 tube amp to try. Perhaps a Bottlehead, Whammerdyne, Triode Labs or Audionote kit. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I don’t like a “classic” tubby, tubey amp. An even tonal balance and purity with coherent timing is my preference.

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Since when are the La Bohèmes allowed in the living room? :rolleyes::p:cool:
Since yesterday :p. Still working on being allowed to set them up properly and I still need to bring Genus down to put on them...

Reactions: christoph

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
I dunno Barry - I think they look right up there externally. Any shots of the internals?
A not very pretty shot and since then, 2016, I’ve changed L2 and replaced the Caddock and Vishal film with AN Silver Tantalum.
Hoping to replace RCA jacks with Bocchino TomCats and possibly binding posts too in 2019.

A7CA61E6-2651-443F-BF7F-0682F392B021.jpeg

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
A not very pretty shot and since then, 2016, I’ve changed L2 and replaced the Caddock and Vishal film with AN Silver Tantalum.
Hoping to replace RCA jacks with Bocchino TomCats and possibly binding posts too in 2019.

View attachment 47094

How are the Audyn True Copper caps? I just used their MKP ones in my crossover.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
How are the Audyn True Copper caps? I just used their MKP ones in my crossover.
True copper are great caps when Jupiter caps are not available or too large or expensive. I believe they have standard copper used solely for crossover duties.

Never used Deulund so for me these are the best two however if using multiple bypasses then mix & match your caps depending on what you want to achieve.

No experience with the Audyn MKP but Mark may tell you to bypass using the Deulund silver bypass cap.

Cheers

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Sorry for derailing the thread. Let’s get back to SET land.

Anyone using those BIG single tubes like 1610 or 340TL?

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Ze’ev who is one of the owners of PAP came to visit our factory a few months back. Unfortunately, I was out of town at the time but Richard and Mino gabe him a tour and then they all spent some time in the reference room listening to the Quintet. At this time we were using the Constellation kit to power them. We had already started some mod experiments so we demonstrated them to him. The first, obviously, was using our VTX, hollow tube, wiring to cable the speakers. We used 12 gauge to the woofers and a 16VTX-FEP to the Horn1. Then, we demonstrated the mod to the crossover PCB. We had modified one PCB and left the other stock. This is the Leonidas crossover BTW. We played a mono signal and switched from one speaker to the other. The difference in clarity and transparency was OBVIOUS to everyone. Ze’ev has a bit startled by the result and was certain that we had made some other change so Mino had him examine the speakers and the crossovers. Easy to do since the PAP open baffle design leaves everything exposed.

Ze’ev apparently is or has already developed different baffles for the speaker. I think he said something about using wood normally used in a piano. Of course I would love to give those a try. But we are doing something a bit different as we have our own ideas that we want to play around with. We are making a single, monolithic baffle for all the drivers from layered bamboo stock. And with it a support frame and platform made from the same material. We intend to make a hole in the support platform for the crossover and suspend it (float it) with some of the polymer isolation straps we use for the DF-SS cable support product.[/QUOTE
Thanks. Amazing quest. Do look forward to the compares when you get round to it.

Dthagerty@aol.com

VIP/Donor
Dec 31, 2015
Solana Beach, CA
Well the impedance curve is very tube friendly so a couple good quality watts should be plenty. I am still thinking about which 2A3 tube amp to try. Perhaps a Bottlehead, Whammerdyne, Triode Labs or Audionote kit. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I don’t like a “classic” tubby, tubey amp. An even tonal balance and purity with coherent timing is my preference.

I have Bottlehead Paramounts, and they definitely do NOT have a classic tubey sound. They are direct-coupled and nicely detailed and slightly warm with EML meshplate 2A3’s. I also have ANKits EL34 triple C-core monoblocks with Jupiter copper coupling caps and Vishay Z-foil resistors in the signal path. Very clear, quiet, and with more bass compared to the Paramounts, with only slightly less of that SET “direct-ness”. Also not “tubey”. Love them both.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Reactions: Audiophile Bill

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
I have Bottlehead Paramounts, and they definitely do NOT have a classic tubey sound. They are direct-coupled and nicely detailed and slightly warm with EML meshplate 2A3’s. I also have ANKits EL34 triple C-core monoblocks with Jupiter copper coupling caps and Vishay Z-foil resistors in the signal path. Very clear, quiet, and with more bass compared to the Paramounts, with only slightly less of that SET “direct-ness”. Also not “tubey”. Love them both.

Yes, Dan has some great designs that are very reasonable to build. I had one of his tape preamps for a rebuilt Ampex that sounded great.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Sorry for derailing the thread. Let’s get back to SET land.

Anyone using those BIG single tubes like 1610 or 340TL?
Yes, Kronzilla SX

Reactions: DaveC

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing