SET amp owners thread

Pair of First Watt SIT-1 here, powering TAD TD-2001/ET-704 on top of the coming new sattelite comprising
2 x TAD TM-1201H, TAD TD-4003/JMLC400, TAD TD-2002/JMLC1000, TAD ET703.

Reactions: bonzo75
Pictures please

Sry, but as I wrote "the coming New sattelites" - these are in the build as we speak, an expansion of the old sattelites comprising FLH with Altec 515-G, TAD TD-4001/ custom made radial horn / TAD ET-703

The New sattelites will also have the Accuphase F25 filter changed to the DF-55, Mid-bass amd midrange channels will both be powered by separate Accuphase A50V amps.

TAD2002/ET-7003 to be xo'ed passively.

46 monoblocks with 417a driver and Interstage transformer.

YL Acoustic horns and EV T-350 tweeter. Jensen 15” woofer in open baffle.

All right then, here is my set:

Preamp Revox B750 MKII -- total revised in 2016
four Amps Revox A740 -- all total revised in 2015
Speaker Tannoy Canterbury SE -- reconed in 2015
Phono Preamp Monk-Audio -- bought new in 2014

P1140957-k.JPG

P3140015-k.JPG

well it's vintage, but plays terrific and incredibly good .
connected by bi-amping and bi-wireing - on recommendation of Tannoy

best regards,
Rainer

46 monoblocks with 417a driver and Interstage transformer.

YL Acoustic horns and EV T-350 tweeter. Jensen 15” woofer in open baffle.

Nice! A year ago I finally came across a pair of T-350 myself, actually NOS in boxes! Been searching for a decent pair for years..

They sound incredibly smooth and have the advantage of reaching further Down in frequency compared to more traditional horn-loaded tweeters - but you already know that probably!

Now a fixed member of my tweeter Family... found a Picture (not the best quality I'm afraid)

Attachments

• parts of tweeter collection.jpg
    parts of tweeter collection.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 30
my Geroukis 211 Parallel Set pair.. built to order Kondo Gakuon Replicas.. with Kondo Transformers, 1050 volts plate voltage, 3X 5687 & 2X VT-4-C (GE 211) 60 Watts per channel.. Amazing performance..

System_Down_03a.jpg

and a full view of the main system in it's dedicated room..

System_Down_02a.jpg

Nice! A year ago I finally came across a pair of T-350 myself, actually NOS in boxes! Been searching for a decent pair for years..

They sound incredibly smooth and have the advantage of reaching further Down in frequency compared to more traditional horn-loaded tweeters - but you already know that probably!

Now a fixed member of my tweeter Family... found a Picture (not the best quality I'm afraid)

Yes, the T-350 is an excellent tweeter. Smooth, detailed, and it blends very well with the YL Acoustic midrange horn. My speakers came with T-35 tweeters and I didn’t like them at all. Its big brother the T-350 is a very different animal.

Reactions: hieffdesigns
That's definitely correct. I had a few EV TRXB's in 12" and 15" Versions - and they have the t-35 Incorporated but they cannot be compared to their bigger Brother. The T-350 is also an excellent Companion to many wide band drivers - reasonably comparable sensitivity ( you don't have to dampen the Hell outa them...) and you can xover below the traditional frequency area where the whizzer cones have issues on Your typical 8"

A most versatile and underrated tweeter in today's world of Exotica..

That's definitely correct. I had a few EV TRXB's in 12" and 15" Versions - and they have the t-35 Incorporated but they cannot be compared to their bigger Brother. The T-350 is also an excellent Companion to many wide band drivers - reasonably comparable sensitivity ( you don't have to dampen the Hell outa them...) and you can xover below the traditional frequency area where the whizzer cones have issues on Your typical 8"

A most versatile and underrated tweeter in today's world of Exotica..

What are you using to attenuate the level of the T-350? L-Pad? Autoformer? Or discrete resistors? My speakers came with L-Pads for the mid and tweet, but I noticed a nice improvement in sound quality when I replaced them with Mills wirewound resistors. Of course, it took some fiddling around to get the right values but once I did I haven't felt any need to adjust them. I also tried a set of Slagle autoformers on the midrange but preferred the Mills resistors.

I agree with you about the low end extension of the T-350. My speakers came with a simple 6db crossover for the tweeter at 10K and the midrange running flat on the high end, i.e. no crossover rolloff. In my case, the midrange was a little smoother when I rolled it off so I now use a 7K second-order crossover on both the midrange and T-350.

I do not use the T-350 at the moment but when I tried them out they where connected to a pair of SIT-1 attenuated via the active filter. Bur for testing passive I would normally use the Fostex R100T and measure until preferred Level, then if I where to keep the tweeter as a permanent installation change to fixed resistors type Duelund CAST.
Please observe these are MY personal observations and preferences and they might not suit everyone's taste or opinion.

Old photo: The Ypsilon phonostage has been replaced by a Tim Evans SR and the Audiopax Amps are now a one off unique version of the Model88 made with some input from me to Audiopax and (bizarrely) named after me.

The Meither has been upgraded to XDS1/Dac2xV2

I do not use the T-350 at the moment but when I tried them out they where connected to a pair of SIT-1 attenuated via the active filter. Bur for testing passive I would normally use the Fostex R100T and measure until preferred Level, then if I where to keep the tweeter as a permanent installation change to fixed resistors type Duelund CAST.
Please observe these are MY personal observations and preferences and they might not suit everyone's taste or opinion.

I understand totally. It's all about individual choices. For example, I have a box full of Duelund resistors and a few CAST capacitors, and they aren't my cup of tea at all. Lots of other people do like them though, so I understand why you would use them.

Sorry. It says Audiopax 150s. Thx.
Here is a picture with the new Audiopax Mandolin Ceramik. People here in Brazil are trading speakers like SF Stradivari, WA Sasha, Thiel 3.7 and many18BBD7A4-B134-4CE3-B6A0-135A0B59CB2E.jpeg others for those.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing