SET amp owners thread

Walnut Horns

May 11, 2015
Audio Note transformers on the A vs, Bartulucci transformers on the C

Some claim a difference.. perhaps...........not enough for me to concern my self with it. I have heard both and have the C. More difference in changing coupling caps that the transformers in this instance for me.
What about the difference in sound between the 211 and 572B? Thanks.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

There is a lot of sound difference in 211 valves as well. Amperex, if you can ever get them, will be quite better than all, RCA and GE will be a bit better than KR, which will be a bit better than psvane.

Never heard United which are supposed to be same level as Amperex

Reactions: gian60

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
GE is readily available sound very good and are "reasonable" and exceedingly reliable.

United are supposed to have it all with rich midrange and none of the fluff of other SETs-- never heard a pair

The new Acme 211s are supposed to be phenomenal.. Someone I know who has finally acquired a Wyetech and uses it professionally for monitoring is blown away by the Acme vs the GE

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
We compared KR to acme, we preferred KR. However we had previously compared Amperex, RCA, GE, to non acme psvane and KR, and the Amperex was a game changer.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Have been running a matched quad of 1948 GE 211s on my Nat SE2SE monos. Not a single complaint, music is meaty, big and bouncy. Can't comment on compares, but despite the typical audiophile's desire to mix it up or try something new, I haven't succumbed (mainly because my Nats are a bitch to bias), and haven't worried about it for a moment.

Reactions: metei

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
We compared KR to acme, we preferred KR. However we had previously compared Amperex, RCA, GE, to non acme psvane and KR, and the Amperex was a game changer.
I don't doubt it.. Amperex are in the same camp as United for rarity.

The Acme is as you say " a game changer" relative to Psvane and apparently GE - obviously the others now in your compare. According to my source and some of the babble on the inter web the Acme is killer.

I have been looking for Uniteds and Amperex for years ... unable to find from a reliable source. GEs come up often and and rarely RCAs

I will be getting a pair of the Acmes to try first hand. I just use the Wyetech 30-40% of my listening as I use the Direct Drive OTLs now on my Beveridge set up most often - so not a big priority.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Most of the babble about Acme is without compares, except for the recti on the Lampi

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
There is an Audio Note variant of the PSvane 211 now.. it may be related to the Acme. Evidently well received even compared to the Elrog in some circles

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
There is an Audio Note variant of the PSvane 211 now.. it may be related to the Acme. Evidently well received even compared to the Elrog in some circles

Ok, haven't heard that. Haven't compared Elrog 211 either.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
The Wytech Topaz 572b uses Svetlana 572-10, which is NOT a 572b tube. I don't know why they called their unit 572b. There are four variants of the 572 tube audio variants that were made by Svetlana, a 3, 10, 30 and 160, all which have different gains. These (non-anode capped) tubes are no longer in production.

The 160 corresponds to the 572b anode capped most closely, and is the one that is now used by my Wavac MD 572 SETs. 572b transmitting tube is also the only one of these tube still in production (used for actual transmitting), although there seem to be quite a few of the non anode capped Svetlana variants still for sale at times. I don't think that the Wytech Topaz 572b could actually use 572b tubes without some kind of modification, because the 572-10 has a gain of 10 vs. gain of 160. Higher gain tubes have higher impedance as a rule, so quite a few parameters would need to change, and the 572b can only be effectively run as Class A2 which requires the ITT design (I think, I am not a circuit micro-expert).

Walnut Horns

May 11, 2015
The Wytech Topaz 572b uses Svetlana 572-10, which is NOT a 572b tube. I don't know why they called their unit 572b. There are four variants of the 572 tube audio variants that were made by Svetlana, a 3, 10, 30 and 160, all which have different gains. These (non-anode capped) tubes are no longer in production.

The 160 corresponds to the 572b anode capped most closely, and is the one that is now used by my Wavac MD 572 SETs. 572b transmitting tube is also the only one of these tube still in production (used for actual transmitting), although there seem to be quite a few of the non anode capped Svetlana variants still for sale at times. I don't think that the Wytech Topaz 572b could actually use 572b tubes without some kind of modification, because the 572-10 has a gain of 10 vs. gain of 160. Higher gain tubes have higher impedance as a rule, so quite a few parameters would need to change, and the 572b can only be effectively run as Class A2 which requires the ITT design (I think, I am not a circuit micro-expert).
Great info and much appreciated. I will take a pass on exploring this amp. Thanks.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Great info and much appreciated. I will take a pass on exploring this amp. Thanks.

The word at the time though was that the 572b was better sounding than the 211A. The 572 tube (Svetlana version) is a good sounding tube...

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
The word at the time though was that the 572b was better sounding than the 211A. The 572 tube (Svetlana version) is a good sounding tube...
You could definitely get more power out of it and still be in class A1

I was at Roger's house and he explained that Svetlana and then AN UK discontinued the the 572b and the 211 Output xfrmrs respectively. He had to move to the 211 and eventually to the Bartuluccis

I have heard the AN UK s against the Bartuluccis... The AN UK are definitely prettier --- I am satisfied with the 211C

Reactions: Exlibris

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I like this quote from a review of the Diana Forte:
"Yet at the same time it is also the most "musical" amplifier I've ever had in my system, as it somehow is able to know that this is music it is reproducing, not simply electrical signals."
Most powerful SETs can play sounds that are big and dynamic but, in my very limited experience, most cannot play music.

Yes, we have the Diana Forte running with Kassandra DAC and Impera preamp and it is intensely musical but with a sledgehammer for dynamics and bass control.

Reactions: Exlibris

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
You could definitely get more power out of it and still be in class A1

I was at Roger's house and he explained that Svetlana and then AN UK discontinued the the 572b and the 211 Output xfrmrs respectively. He had to move to the 211 and eventually to the Bartuluccis

I have heard the AN UK s against the Bartuluccis... The AN UK are definitely prettier --- I am satisfied with the 211C

The Baruluccis were likely a lot cheaper as well...when AN was selling OEM transformers they were probably the most expensive ones out there.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
The Baruluccis were likely a lot cheaper as well...when AN was selling OEM transformers they were probably the most expensive ones out there.

There is ,and never will be, any market logic to PQ's pricing strategy :)

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I know that Genus is not as powerful sounding as the rest of the AC amplifier line up but how does it compare in terms of musicality to their other amps?

It drove our 91db Dynamikks Athos 10s to a very high standard at our last show and we played fairly loud, effortlessly. The sound was saturated tonally but still very precise and detailed...a difficult set of attributes to get together in one place.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I know that Genus is not as powerful sounding as the rest of the AC amplifier line up but how does it compare in terms of musicality to their other amps?

Every bit as musical...perhaps a bit more forgiving and dynamic as hell...Given how we have been able to drive literally everything well with it (even 83db Boenicke W5se+ speakers) and it always sounds natural but highly structured and detailed.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing