SET amp owners thread

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I've finally optimized the placement of the Midas speakers in my room. The system is sounding really good. During certain songs I sometimes wonder if it could really get much better and worry that the No. 33 might not sound as good. The sound is very "free" and "open" with the Midas. The experience is more immersive than my experience with the No. 28 SE -- but the systems and rooms were completely different so I'm not sure I can draw any conclusions.
As good as the Midas are and a really love mine, the Odeon 33 is in another league from the astonishing Midas. You are absolutely in for a treat ;)

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
That's likely true. Here it's the Thomas Mayer 10Y linestage and Allnic A-6000 monoblocks. There it was the Unison S6 integrated amp.
Yeah, I mean a Unison S6 is ok but there is a big difference between that and what you have...

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Congratulations on the new speakers. Can you give us a comparison between the new speakers and the your former Audio Notes. Thank you.
I wish I could say something definitive about the difference between the speakers but I can’t because I made two changes at the same time: amps and speakers.
I can only speak to the difference between the “Thomas Mayer 45 + Audio Note AN-E” combo vs. the “Allnic A-6000 + Odeon Midas” combo.
Actually, I can be a little more general and say “Every amp I’ve heard with Audio Note AN-Es” vs. the “Allnic A-6000 + Odeon Midas” combo.
The current system sounds much faster. Sounds leap from the speakers with real ease.
It is much freer sounding. Sounds don’t get stuck around the speakers and speaker plane – they freely move toward the listener.
It has a greater sense of ease, lack of strain, and lack of distortion.
It handles complex passages much better.
When the recording allows, it is a more immersive experience for the listener.
The highs are more pronounced, cleaner, and clearer.
There is more space between images.
The soundstage is larger and especially deeper.
The bass is tighter and less boomy and resonant in my room.

The Audio Note AN-Es are more romantic sounding and 'musical,' which may lead to more affect in the listener. They are generally warmer, darker, smoother, and thicker sounding than the Midas.

I hope that helps a bit.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
"The Audio Note AN-Es are more romantic sounding and 'musical,' which may lead to more affect in the listener. They are generally warmer, darker, smoother, and thicker sounding than the Midas."

While they sound similar with AN amps, best I heard them was with Ayre. Clean sound, showed all the recordings, fast, lively, completely disappeared being next to the wall. The guy who owned that system disliked them with AN amps and low watt valve amps, despite being pro SETs and owning a SETs based system in the other room. I always found them to be thick and sluggish like you said until heard this way

Reactions: denimhunter

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
"The Audio Note AN-Es are more romantic sounding and 'musical,' which may lead to more affect in the listener. They are generally warmer, darker, smoother, and thicker sounding than the Midas."

While they sound similar with AN amps, best I heard them was with Ayre. Clean sound, showed all the recordings, fast, lively, completely disappeared being next to the wall. The guy who owned that system disliked them with AN amps and low watt valve amps, despite being pro SETs and owning a SETs based system in the other room. I always found them to be thick and sluggish like you said until heard this way
That is very interesting.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

calloway

Nov 3, 2011
danville,va
My SET amps are Chalice Audio 'Grail' mono blocks. My speakers are Tidal Contriva Dicer-SE
Lumin S1 Network Player
REL 212 SE subs x 2..
Silent Source 'The Music Reference' Powercords and speaker cablesLessloss C-MARC interconnect
Lessloss 'Firewall for Speaker Cables'

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
I wish I could say something definitive about the difference between the speakers but I can’t because I made two changes at the same time: amps and speakers.
I can only speak to the difference between the “Thomas Mayer 45 + Audio Note AN-E” combo vs. the “Allnic A-6000 + Odeon Midas” combo.
Actually, I can be a little more general and say “Every amp I’ve heard with Audio Note AN-Es” vs. the “Allnic A-6000 + Odeon Midas” combo.
The current system sounds much faster. Sounds leap from the speakers with real ease.
It is much freer sounding. Sounds don’t get stuck around the speakers and speaker plane – they freely move toward the listener.

The Audio Note AN-Es are more romantic sounding and 'musical,' which may lead to more affect in the listener. They are generally warmer, darker, smoother, and thicker sounding than the Midas.

I hope that helps a bit.
Perhaps this shouldn't have surprised me but it did...
With the Allnic A-6000 each of the eight 300Bs has its own bias pot. The manufacturer suggests the tubes be run between a set range that is marked out by two parallel lines on the meter. The acceptable range is between the lines. When I run the tubes at the bottom of the range the system sounds markedly different than when I run them at the top of the range.
Bottom: spacious!, dark, rich, palpable, heavy, free, easy, tons of decay, tone, and ambient cues. But maybe a little grungy and distorted (in a good way on rock)? Bass is slightly bloated and less controlled.
Top: fast, tight, light, punchy, taut, airy.
But slightly strained and thin.

Last edited:

Germanboxers

Dec 14, 2015
My new Thomas Mayer 10Y Silver linestage and 45 drive 45 amps. These two works of art are truly phenomenal.

Attachments

• 53FAD3A7-3486-48A4-8CDA-5B0608A4727C.jpeg
    53FAD3A7-3486-48A4-8CDA-5B0608A4727C.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 92
  • ADEF0AED-E0B4-448B-8A89-C7C357156027.jpeg
    ADEF0AED-E0B4-448B-8A89-C7C357156027.jpeg
    28.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 9E17819A-4827-40F9-9EE9-050AA155A384.jpeg
    9E17819A-4827-40F9-9EE9-050AA155A384.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 5B7DCFE8-6A1C-4151-B00B-9244918073CC.jpeg
    5B7DCFE8-6A1C-4151-B00B-9244918073CC.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 81DF0685-8A81-47E2-8473-E0B3549B46B7.jpeg
    81DF0685-8A81-47E2-8473-E0B3549B46B7.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 81

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

I hope that helps a bit.
So will you be selling the Mayer gear?

Germanboxers

Dec 14, 2015
awesome Jordan! hope the AGs are treating you well.

Keith the AG's engage me every single time I listen. They were the right speaker for me. They also opened up the possibilities of running flea watt amps for which I am very grateful. I went on an inexpensive 45 and 46 SET binger while I waited for Thomas to build my 45 drives 45 amps. An $850 Korneff clone 45 SET confirmed a greater emotional connection to the music than the ARC Ref75SE (expected), Valvet A3.5 SS (expected), Atma-Sphere MA1 MkIII (unexpected) and Audion Black Shadow (unuexpected). Interestingly, those conclusions held largely true on the Zu Defs also (still haven't put them up for sale).

The mind blowing moment, however, was when I inserted the Mayer amplification chain. I am able to connect to the music with more depth and less conscious thought. And this is profound for me. The most interesting element of audiophilia dissection: the spectrum of tones that make up the music, an instrument, a voice, etc is more finely graded like a full spectrum of a rainbow, rather than 3 or 5 or 10 or 20 colors lined up next to each other. The timbre of instruments, the suspension of disbelief and the musicians' expressions/intent are all REALLY well served by this quality.

They are powerful sounding in that they just let musical scale, not shout at you that they are "powerful". There is no noise. I mean...nothing at all with ear pressed close to the tweeter or midrange driver.

Have you found your final amps for the YG's yet?

ketcham

Industry Expert
Feb 29, 2016
I used to own the A-6000. An octet of Emission Labs 300b XLS lasted 9 years, then on to the next owner and still going. They were biased to the lower tick mark and could account for this preservation, but I preferred the sound characteristics. As I grew into different speakers I used only a small fraction of the power needed. If you have the opportunity to listen to any amp designer that implements an interstage (voltage gain) transformer which negates one power tube stage, you may be surprised by this design approach. No phase issues with parallel circuits improve transparency, timbre and delicacy. Zero feedback, ear to the speaker, hearing only silence. This implementation allowed new discoveries in well familiar recordings.

Those who love the 300b need to audition its predecessor, the PX25.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I used to own the A-6000. An octet of Emission Labs 300b XLS lasted 9 years, then on to the next owner and still going. They were biased to the lower tick mark and could account for this preservation, but I preferred the sound characteristics. As I grew into different speakers I used only a small fraction of the power needed. If you have the opportunity to listen to any amp designer that implements an interchange (voltage gain) transformer which negates one power tube stage, you may be surprised by this design approach. No phase issues with parallel circuits improve transparency, timbre and delicacy. Zero feedback, ear to the speaker, hearing only silence. This implementation allowed new discoveries in well familiar recordings.

You mean interstage, not interchange?

ketcham

Industry Expert
Feb 29, 2016
(Thank you:))

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
I used to own the A-6000. An octet of Emission Labs 300b XLS lasted 9 years, then on to the next owner and still going. They were biased to the lower tick mark and could account for this preservation, but I preferred the sound characteristics. As I grew into different speakers I used only a small fraction of the power needed. If you have the opportunity to listen to any amp designer that implements an interstage (voltage gain) transformer which negates one power tube stage, you may be surprised by this design approach. No phase issues with parallel circuits improve transparency, timbre and delicacy. Zero feedback, ear to the speaker, hearing only silence. This implementation allowed new discoveries in well familiar recordings.

The A-6000 does use interstage transformers as did my previous power amp.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing