Reactions: the sound of Tao

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Audio Note UK DAC 0.1x
It's a modest DAC.
https://www.audionote.co.uk/dac0-1x
My digital front-end is pretty modest because I usually just listen to vinyl.
Now that I have streaming set up in my system (yes, it's 2020 and I've never streamed music to my system before now) I have to say that it's pretty great having all this music at my fingertips. Though the difference in quality is noticeable, I'm actually surprised that some of the streamed songs sound really good.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I don't think Qobuz is available in Canada just yet. I get that message when I go to their site.
That's a shame :rolleyes:
Firstly because Q sounds better than T (imho) and secondly Q is a french company and Canada is sort of demi-français, n'est-ce pas? :D

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
That's a shame :rolleyes:
Firstly because Q sounds better than T (imho) and secondly Q is a french company and Canada is sort of demi-français, n'est-ce pas? :D
Well, part of the country is :)
It's complicated. Some of us feel closer to Britain, some closer to America, some closer to continental Europe, and we are a country of immigrants.
Somehow it all kind of works out. #go Leafs go

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Well, part of the country is :)
It's complicated. Some of us feel closer to Britain, some closer to America, some closer to continental Europe, and we are a country of immigrants.
Somehow it all kind of works out. #go Leafs go
Imagine every ex-girlfriend that has ever broke your heart, but you can't get over; that's the Toronto Maple Leafs. 53 years and counting since our last Cup. In a city where hockey is a religion.

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Maple Leafs?
Like Toronto Maple Leafs?
No Stanley Cups for Canadian Teams for quite some time now, but instead the Raptors grabbed the NBA title last year :eek:

VerdantAudio

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2020
Art Audio Carissa and Avantgarde Zero TA XDs

Reactions: marslo and morricab

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
With horns, being quite a bit more directional, toe-in is very important. With my panels in the past I would have them nearly straight ahead. Horns...nope it loses focus and jump (at least with my speakers).
I sent a picture and a description of my set up to the manufacturer and they confirmed that this is basically how they like to set up the 33s in terms of distance between speakers and toe-in. (I've actually increased the toe-in such that the drivers are directly facing me now).
They also added this interesting bit of info:
"There is only one more detail that might be worth trying: By chaning the distance between the bass port and the bottom plate you can regulate the bass intensity. So If you put a coin under the back spike of the woofer you can infensify the upper Bass performance. You can even hear the differance between a Cent and a Dime or Quarter. The position we choose as "ground zero" is the best choice for almost all rooms. But sometimes this tillte trick helps to increase the performance."
I hope they wouldn't mind my sharing this on this forum.

Reactions: morricab

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Palm Beach County, Florida
I am using a pair of Wall Audio M50 monoblock SETs driving a pair of Tonian Labs Classic 12.1S. That speaker is a 16ohm 96db basically single driver, a PHY audio silver wound coil driver run full range augmented by a Tonian ribbon super tweeter. It's part of a second system where my Lampi GA TRP is right now. Eventually (when I move to bigger quarters) my two systems will be combined. That way I can listen to huge powerful SS driving Hansen speakers or the SET set-up. I have a LDMS server on the way based upon recommendations of a number of Lampi users on this board.

Ian

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I am using a pair of Wall Audio M50 monoblock SETs driving a pair of Tonian Labs Classic 12.1S. That speaker is a 16ohm 96db basically single driver, a PHY audio silver wound coil driver run full range augmented by a Tonian ribbon super tweeter. It's part of a second system where my Lampi GA TRP is right now. Eventually (when I move to bigger quarters) my two systems will be combined. That way I can listen to huge powerful SS driving Hansen speakers or the SET set-up. I have a LDMS server on the way based upon recommendations of a number of Lampi users on this board.

Ian

Hi Ian,
I had the Wall monos a few years ago... really nice sounding amps!

dwhistance

Feb 15, 2019
Hi Ian,
I'm interested to hear that you are driving your Tonian's with a 35w SET, what size is your room? I have a silver wired pair of Ocellia Grandis Signature 30 which uses the same full range driver but different tweeters. At the moment I'm driving them with a PSE 2A3 amp which makes perhaps 6w and have been thinking of changing to a still lower powered SET, either a single 2A3 or maybe a 50. I don't lack for bass or volume in my 16'x23' room, indeed my preamp volume control is rarely past 10 o-clock, hence the thoughts about lower power. Have you tried your speakers with any lower powered amps and, if you have, could you tell me what you feel the extra power has given. Many thanks for your thoughts.
David

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi David, which 2a3 is it? Btw I know someone selling avvt mesh 2a3 matched quads for almost 2.5 k gbp and someone selling the RCA mono plate 2a3 quads for around 1500. Expensive but apparently those along with fivre are the main ones

Reactions: gian60

Joao@altheamusica

Sep 20, 2010
Hi Ian,
I'm interested to hear that you are driving your Tonian's with a 35w SET, what size is your room? I have a silver wired pair of Ocellia Grandis Signature 30 which uses the same full range driver but different tweeters. At the moment I'm driving them with a PSE 2A3 amp which makes perhaps 6w and have been thinking of changing to a still lower powered SET, either a single 2A3 or maybe a 50. I don't lack for bass or volume in my 16'x23' room, indeed my preamp volume control is rarely past 10 o-clock, hence the thoughts about lower power. Have you tried your speakers with any lower powered amps and, if you have, could you tell me what you feel the extra power has given. Many thanks for your thoughts.
David

David, you're loosing 6dB in power when using a single 2A3 instead of PSE. I think you'll not be happier with a "50" instead of the 2A3 and you should try out some NOS 2A3 before swapping the amp.
The PHY-drivers don't go so much deep in the low frequency range but your brain needs only the modulations of those tones to integrate it.
10 - 14 o-clock for the volume control is perfect, so don't worry about. If you need more power then think of a more powerful amp, maybe a push-pull can be the better solution.

dwhistance

Feb 15, 2019
Hi Ked, I use NOS RCA 2A3's, sadly not monoplates, though I have been in touch with Kevin about the set he has for sale and hope to have them here soon. David

Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing