SET amp owners thread

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Fantastic, do you have a picture of the amp?
Silvercore_1.jpg silvercore_2.jpg Silvercore_3.jpg

Note the film caps on the right for the anode high voltage supply.

There are 6 transformers (2 power, 2 interstage and 2 output) and choke in the anode power supply.

over 30Kg for a 3.5 watt amp... The signal path is 6C45P - Transformer - 2A3 - Transformer

Even has a headphone amplifier that comes off the interstage transformers...

Klonk

Mar 4, 2012
View attachment 105408 View attachment 105409 View attachment 105410

Note the film caps on the right for the anode high voltage supply.

There are 6 transformers (2 power, 2 interstage and 2 output) and choke in the anode power supply.

over 30Kg for a 3.5 watt amp... The signal path is 6C45P - Transformer - 2A3 - Transformer

Even has a headphone amplifier that comes off the interstage transformers...
thank you for the pic. funny name though, silberglut. do you know, how they came up with this name?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
thank you for the pic. funny name though, silberglut. do you know, how they came up with this name?
Hi, yes, it is funny but I am not sure why they named this amp such except that this is the name of a hard spirit that is anise flavor I think (never had it). So, strong stuff...perhaps they imply that the amp is "strong stuff"??

Klonk

Mar 4, 2012
Hi, yes, it is funny but I am not sure why they named this amp such except that this is the name of a hard spirit that is anise flavor I think (never had it). So, strong stuff...perhaps they imply that the amp is "strong stuff"??
thanks for the fast reply. "strong stuff" good one.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
thanks for the fast reply. "strong stuff" good one.
Quite possibly a bit tongue-in-cheek as it is, afterall, only a 3.5 watt amp...

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Maybe you misunderstood my post “ play pen” = ball park , not “equal“, and as I said above it was “ironic”

a good post above is

“3.5 to 18 is about 5x more power. Every 3dB requires double the power. So the 18 watt amp would play about 7dB louder. If your speakers are 100dB/watt then 3.5 watts will get you about 105dB and 18 watts around 112dB…will you be playing close to this loud to notice this? For me at least I am never close to these levels and for all practical purposes the power is not relevant as I would be using mW most of the time”
You’ve been making a lot of posts lately that are “ironic.” Your writing style is not playful enough to convey this “ironic” or satirical tone and thus it seems aggressive. On Reddit, posters write /s after a remark to denote a satirical remark as it’s difficult to convey via prose.

I can’t take you seriously as i have no clue if you’re being ironic or serious. just some feedback.

good day.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Do you know much about the iron used Brad ?
Just that all transformers are Silvercore...not sure if they source them from somewhere or make them themselves. Supposed to be quite good but still pretty fair prices for their products.

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.
Just that all transformers are Silvercore...not sure if they source them from somewhere or make them themselves. Supposed to be quite good but still pretty fair prices for their products.
Congratulations !!
I’m sure this amplifier sounds marvelous!
Charles

Reactions: morricab

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

he changes the transformers depending on the budget. So he adds more silver or change core material depending on budget

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Why 11 is it driving apogee

dwhistance

Feb 15, 2019
I just got a 2A3 amp from Silvercore and at levels I listen it was doing pretty darn good on my 8ohm 97dB Odeons. Damn thing is about 10kg per watt
Is this one of their hybrids or a 2A3 SET? Sorry posted before I saw the pictures above, clearly a SET. I would be interested in hearing one of their J C Morrison inspired hybrids.

Reactions: Solypsa

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

dwhistance

Feb 15, 2019
if you are referring to the neohybrid it uses a different set of valves not 2a3
If I've read right they can do them with various valves. Have you read any of the J C Morrison blogs that outlined the design of these hybrids?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
If I've read right they can do them with various valves. Have you read any of the J C Morrison blogs that outlined the design of these hybrids?

yes they can but the silvercore site mentions 4v. I heard his WE205d neohybrid it could roll other 4v. On request he can make many.

JC played one at the 2019 show where he have a compare next to the WE amps. Iirc it was VT2

dwhistance

Feb 15, 2019
Could you give me any thoughts on how the sound of the hybrids compares with a SET? How do you think the, probably unobtainable, Silbatone one compares with those from Silvercore?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Could you give me any thoughts on how the sound of the hybrids compares with a SET? How do you think the, probably unobtainable, Silbatone one compares with those from Silvercore?

No idea about Silbatone’s best, the VT2 sounded as good as the WE in Munich, but their lowest model 300b neohybrid is quite poor even a DIY first watt was quite better in comparison. The Silvercore neohybrid was very good but I heard it on audionec evo 2 which required some drive though not like cones. I did not directly compare it to a similar powered SET so I cannot say how it compares

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing