SFP Rolling? Anyone?

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
well, good to know as I was recommended multi mode by sonore a few months ago.

Regardless, I’m not going to make any blanket statements that one type sounds better than the other and will just try each module for what it is regardless of type.
That’s fair. To coin a cliche, “Different strokes for different folks.”

Reactions: harsheel_dbs

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Regardless, I’m not going to make any blanket statements that one type sounds better than the other and will just try each module for what it is regardless of type.
That is wise. I do think though that one is more likely to land on a great sounding SFP if it is single mode at 1310nm wavelength. Single mode also supports 1550nm wavelength but since this is designed for longer lengths of fiber, attenuation is required for shorter lengths, but attenuation causes harm IMHO. Mutimode exists pretty much only to provide a less expensive option so I think that’s why it’s not best for high end audio.
I know that in the early days the Sonore partners, Adrian and Jesus, preferred multi mode and included multi mode SFP transceivers in their Signature Rendu series by default. Today they have joined the school of many high-end manufactures, who believe that single mode sounds better.
I don’t believe they preferred it for sound quality reasons. Their primary aim was to simplify things for those adopting fiber for the first time. They coined the term “SystemOptique Certified” to help guide their customers to specific products they had tested and confirmed to work as intended. They smartly feared the onslaught of support emails they’d get if they had to provide for every different SFP that some might try. What they likely didn’t anticipate was the onslaught of feedback from those preferring single mode.

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
That is wise. I do think though that one is more likely to land on a great sounding SFP if it is single mode at 1310nm wavelength. Single mode also supports 1550nm wavelength but since this is designed for longer lengths of fiber, attenuation is required for shorter lengths, but attenuation causes harm IMHO. Mutimode exists pretty much only to provide a less expensive option so I think that’s why it’s not best for high end audio.

I don’t believe they preferred it for sound quality reasons. Their primary aim was to simplify things for those adopting fiber for the first time. They coined the term “SystemOptique Certified” to help guide their customers to specific products they had tested and confirmed to work as intended. They smartly feared the onslaught of support emails they’d get if they had to provide for every different SFP that some might try. What they likely didn’t anticipate was the onslaught of feedback from those preferring single mode.s
I think you are likely right on the mark re: Sonore and seems like a good take on the evolution of it all. I SO appreciate @Superdad for affirming the recent choice I made Since installing my system has never sounded so good.

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

harsheel_dbs

Mar 12, 2020
alright folks, its happening! ordered the FTLX1475D3BTL to try. Now, my question is: does the length of the fiber optic cable matter? I (more so the Mrs.) would rather not have 6ft of bright yellow cable across the media console. would the 3ft version: FFWLCLC42-JXF003 make any sonic difference?

Reactions: KrellFan1

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
alright folks, its happening! ordered the FTLX1475D3BTL to try. Now, my question is: does the length of the fiber optic cable matter? I (more so the Mrs.) would rather not have 6ft of bright yellow cable across the media console. would the 3ft version: FFWLCLC42-JXF003 make any sonic difference?
Congratulations! You’re in for a treat! As for length, the only size I could find here in the U.S. was 10 feet. It’s thin cable and can easily be wrapped around several times without issue. I don’t believe there is any sonic impact between 3 feet and 20 feet. It’s not at all like copper ethernet. I am preparing to purchase another two of this model so if you have a link to a US company selling as little as 3 feet I’d be interested if you wouldn’t mind sharing. I really don’t need the length of 10 feet myself.

Reactions: harsheel_dbs

harsheel_dbs

Mar 12, 2020
Congratulations! You’re in for a treat! As for length, the only size I could find here in the U.S. was 10 feet. It’s thin cable and can easily be wrapped around several times without issue. I don’t believe there is any sonic impact between 3 feet and 20 feet. It’s not at all like copper ethernet. I am preparing to purchase another two of this model so if you have a link to a US company selling as little as 3 feet I’d be interested if you wouldn’t mind sharing. I really don’t need the length of 10 feet myself.

this is what i've found:

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
As for length, the only size I could find here in the U.S. was 10 feet. It’s thin cable and can easily be wrapped around several times without issue. I don’t believe there is any sonic impact between 3 feet and 20 feet.
This was a good choice of length as too short is not good either.

harsheel_dbs

Mar 12, 2020
the FTLX1475D3BTL modules have been delivered, but still waiting on the CommScope cable; there shouldn't be any issue using a Corning Grade B OS2 cable from FS...correct?

TRHH

Nov 14, 2022
CommScope TeraSPEED OS2 full spectrum, zero water peak single mode (ZWP-SM) LC/UPC to LC/UPC fiber patch cord, 1.6 mm duplex, 9/125µm, ITU-T G.652.D and G.657.A1 compliant ;)

CommScope TeraSPEED - FFWLCLC42-JXF006.jpg

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Back in the old days when some far thinking digital designers were using ST glass :D, I spent quite a bit of time listening to various ST glass fibers, including Corning at the time. They indeed sounded different to varying degrees. At the time I attributed it to differences in reflections at the mating point between a given cable and the transceivers in the transport and DAC. The Corning was good, but there was an orange sheathed cable (I can’t remember what it was) that I liked better.
ST is the connector type not a different fiber.

harsheel_dbs

Mar 12, 2020
CommScope TeraSPEED OS2 full spectrum, zero water peak single mode (ZWP-SM) LC/UPC to LC/UPC fiber patch cord, 1.6 mm duplex, 9/125µm, ITU-T G.652.D and G.657.A1 compliant ;)

View attachment 121904
Have you compared this cable to the FS Grade B yet?

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
Hi guys; just to add to this thread as I wanted to share a "unique" opportunity. Some time ago I updated a relatively inexpensive Finisar SFP for the Finisar FTLX1475D3BTL transceiver and it absolutely took my system to a new level. I paired it with a highly recommended Commscope FFWLCLC42-JXF006 Jumper. Initially I had a pair feeding my Antipodes K22 player via the fabulous Sonore Module Deluxe (FMC) which then connected to the revered Uptone Audio EtherREGEN. Once I took delivery of the Antipodes K41 server I felt like I needed to match the two units with identical transceivers.

So....I bought the FTLX1475D3BTL from the respected Mouser company and while not inexpensive at close to $100 EACH, they sound (IMO) tremendous. On to the fiber optic cable. Looking around for a 6 foot cable that paired so well with previous pair ,I sought the same (as used with the K22) but in shorter length, I found 3 authorized distributors here in the US but difficult web sites to navigate - all of them. So I turned to eBay and found a seller offering a pair at market price of $49.99 for one cable. Fair. It is market price. Lo and behold, the seller shipped me a MASTER CASE of 36 cables, = to around $1,800! I contacted seller, tried to return the excess which I presumed was a huge mistake. Seller insists that that is the only way they sell this cable - buy the case of 36 units! Dude doesn't want them back! So....for anyone interested here is the link :https://www.ebay.com/itm/2255875080...28&osub=-1~1&crd=20240104155402&segname=11051

And the Mouser link to the SFP I LOVE so much can be found here: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/508-FTLX1475D3BTL

But if anyone should want one of these Commscope fiber cables let me know and will be happy to "share the leftovers" for anyone who covers shipping and handling. I prefer not to list these and sell piecemeal on eBay. -:)

Moving on, my new K41 is nearly 100% broken in so will provide my feedback soon, perhaps by this weekend. I can say with certainty it is FANTASTIC, with details to follow. I will add that the addition of these SFP transceivers and fiber cables IN CONJUNCtiON with BOTH the Sonore Module Deluxe and the EtherREGEN have catapulted the performance of this already stellar server to the next level. In combination with the K22 player there is some special magic going on.

As an aside, I connected my Apple TV, Roku as well as my Tambaqui DAC to the @Superdad 's EtherREGEN 'A' side and WOW! The MM Tambaqui sounds 50% better (though not as good as when used with the K22) via the eR, my Apple TV sounds and looks better, so there is WAY more to be gained than simply running an ethernet cable out of the 'B' side to the source component of choice - be it your DAC, player or server. I would recommend that as well as the Sonore Module Deluxe to anyone who seeks to experiment and take his system to the next level with fiber optics. Yes, it can be a bit of a pain, and one has to know what one is doing, but the rewards are substantial.

I'm attaching a few pics and trust me, I. am embarrassed by the hot mess inside the bay within my cabinet that houses the LPS's, (2) EtherREGEN units as well as he two Sonore Modules Deluxe - one o the lower shelf , the other whichcan be seen atop the cabinet. :)

Cheers,

Attachments

• IMG_1063.jpeg
    IMG_1063.jpeg
    398.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1064.jpeg
    IMG_1064.jpeg
    513.8 KB · Views: 17
  • tempImage18EIc7.png
    tempImage18EIc7.png
    1,012.8 KB · Views: 16

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
I wonder if the CommScope cable sound different to ones made with Corning fiber...anyone compare fiber patch cables?
Hi guys; since my reply to @harsheel_dbs a few members have taken advantage of of my "giving back to the community" offer. I have about 25 of these cables remaining - FFWLCLC42-JXF006 - and decided the most simple way to get this from me to you is at a fixed cost of $10 via USPS. . I need to fix a limit of TWO (2) cables per member and the $10 fee covers my shipping and handling. Can ship anywhere in the CONUS. If interested just send me a message!

Attachments

• tempImagersSFKR.png
    tempImagersSFKR.png
    686.8 KB · Views: 7

TRHH

Nov 14, 2022
Hi guys; since my reply to @harsheel_dbs a few members have taken advantage of of my "giving back to the community" offer. I have about 25 of these cables remaining - FFWLCLC42-JXF006 - and decided the most simple way to get this from me to you is at a fixed cost of $10 via USPS. . I need to fix a limit of TWO (2) cables per member and the $10 fee covers my shipping and handling. Can ship anywhere in the CONUS. If interested just send me a message!

That is a great offer. In Germany you pay 50 EURO for the cable

Torben

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
This is an invaluable thread I must say. I was unable to find any vendor selling the Corning cable in the UK bar one, but the have a large minimum order which is annoying.

Anyway, instead I've ordered a CommScope cable to test with my SFP wireless access point and Hifi Rose RS130 streamer. I'm testing Finisar FTLX1471D3BCL pairs first off, purely because those were on the Nighthawk x10's SFP compatibility list.

I'm not convinced that I need an etherregen or LHY FMC since that just adds more links into the chain.

Wifi > NightHawk X10 > SFP output (Finisar FTLX1471D3BCL) > CommScope > Finisar FTLX1471D3BCL > RS130 streamer.

The Nighthawk is powered by a 19v 5A LPS.

Last edited:
Reactions: KrellFan1 and TRHH

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
That is a great offer. In Germany you pay 50 EURO for the cable

Torben
No kidding, huh? It’s only because I got so much excess for free that I’m able to offer at this price. The seller didn’t want them back. And yes, here in the U.S. the market price is about $50 US. A few months back I bought the same cable but 10 feet. It was $53 including tax and shipping !

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
This is an invaluable thread I must say. I was unable to find any vendor selling the Corning cable in the UK bar one, but the have a large minimum order which is annoying.

Anyway, instead I've ordered a CommScope cable to test with my SFP wireless access point and Hifi Rose RS130 streamer. I'm testing Finisar FTLX1471D3BCL pairs first off, purely because those were on the Nighthawk x10's SFP compatibility list.

I'm not convinced that I need an etherregen or LHY FMC since that just adds more links into the chain.

Wifi > NightHawk X10 > SFP output (Finisar FTLX1471D3BCL) > CommScope > Finisar FTLX1471D3BCL > RS130 streamer.

The Nighthawk is powered by a 19v 5A LPS.
You might be surprised. The EtherREGEN is quite special and wouldn’t add any lag or latency And likewise the Sonore Module is unique. Both serve to improve timing and eliminate jitter. If you could find a distributor in the UK perhaps he’d let you try before you buy. At the end of the day it’s the only to know The “acid test.” And it is rather fascinating how so many various SFP transceivers seem to carry their own unique sonic properties.

Reactions: audiobomber

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing