Share your experience with tweaks etc for your CH gear

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
Thanks for the response. The question of what power cord to use on a component that is X1 connected gets asked of me quite a bit so let me describe my recent experience. As background, when one of our components (C1 DAC, D1 Transport, P1 phono, L1 pre-amp) is connected to our optional power supply, X1, the 15 amp power cord of that component is still required. Internally, the components power supply is being used to power the front display and the rear USB firmware upgrade port. I always used the stock 15 amp cord that we supply with each unit and a high quality power cord on the X1. Several of our owners and dealers told me that they achieved improved performance by using a high quality power cord on the X1 connected component. With the help of AudioQuest, I got a chance to try it for myself. The improvement was easy to hear. The presentation in my system became more "real". I could hear the nuanced playing of guitar that Pat Metheny uses on the track "And I Love Her" more than before. Beethoven Violin Sonata (APO vinyl release Szeryng/Rubinstein), Schubert Piano Sonatas (UHQCD Uchida) all had better resolution of details, more "real" than before. This would definitely be an area of experiment for CH Precision owners who use X1s on our components.

Sorren, given the component power supply is used to power the rear usb port.... am i right in thinking that if we put a good quality 15amp iec to the c1d that will improve the usb port performance?

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
Bogan88,

I just bought a YG rack, which helped with my C1, T1 and 2x A1.5 monos. I did not have room for 1 CH M1.1. While the rack helped i could not at this time justify the expensive footers the likes of CMS or HRS at this stage, so i got these at a far more affordable price.
https://theaudiophileman.com/damping-df-isolation-feet-review-soundeck/

i put them under the C1, A1.5 monos and my pink faun server and it seem help a fair bit, so I’m quite content at this stage.

regarding fuses, whenever i get new gear, fuse replacement is one of the top priority changes. I have gone through the entire SR range of fuses at one time or another. Currently the best SR fuse i have found is the SR orange fuse. All my CH gear has the appropriate SR orange fuse. Removes the greyness, that you don’t realise is there until you change the fuses. I have not tried other makes of fuses, i’m quite content with the SR Orange fuses. As well adding, bass, transparency, liquidity, and just sounds more real.

Independently I have tried telos fuse in my headphone amp, the SR blue beat it without even blinking an eye, and the SR orange has pushed the sound even further. Orange SR is thier best fuse. I’m very happy with the performance.

I’m quite a fan of Crystal Cable, and I use the top of the range CC Ultimate for speaker cables and Absoloute dream for interconnects. I quite like the neutrality, with just a hint of warmth. I think it matches the CH gear quite nicely and gives the CH a bit of ‘humanity’. I have not tried others as the dealer i deal with CH has this and siltech. I did not want thick cables so I’m very pleased with CC.

i have a discontinued power conditioner called the Running Spring Audio - the Dimitri model. All my gear (including amps) are connected to it. Due to me using US power cords, even though i live in Australia, i have not had a chance to see what effect it would have if i went direct to the wall for power amps. I don’t feel its restricting dynamics, so have stuck with this for quite a few years.

I use Vertere HB mains power cords from wall to conditioner and from the conditioner to all my CH gear.

Have not tried any grounding boxes.

as you are in Oz, drop me a PM if you happend to be in QLD then you can come over for a listen.

Cheers,
hey jambo you got the yg racks too? how are you finding them? just got mine today....for what it is....man that allen key such killed my arm and frustrated me as well. 60 screws all by that l shaped allen key...drives m bonkers lol

Jambo

Apr 15, 2015
Australia
hey jambo you got the yg racks too? how are you finding them? just got mine today....for what it is....man that allen key such killed my arm and frustrated me as well. 60 screws all by that l shaped allen key...drives m bonkers lol
Mate, I had to get help, mine was the 1.9 version, took minimum 2 hours, assembly was murder, glad i had help. The allen key and those screws, YG could have warned you to get a rachet to tighten the screws or ideally supplied one, allen key is just not appropriate on a rack that expensive with all those screws. some kind of rachet would have made the job much easier. And i knew there was no way i was going to be able to flip it up (140kg) without help.

but at least that done and dusted, I got the silver version (paid extra for the privilege), it looks serious fab in silver. Matches my CH gear very very nicely. After all that the sound was good, glad i got it. Its very tasteful.

hope you are enjoying yours (hopefully you’ll not have go though the assembly pain again !) and it help lift the performance of your gear. I think CH gear is not quite as sensitive, so even though the sound improved I was expecting a little more. Now this may have been that my old rack was quite good to begin with. But overall I’m very pleased with it.

enjoy yours in good health.

Last edited:
Reactions: asiufy

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
Haha yup i had your pain too . 3 hours for me to do up 8 shelves - it's cray how we spent so much money for an ikea experience - agreed for that price they should have added in a racheting tool. Ah does it come in silver? mine is just the standard black. not sure there is much of an improvement to be heard as yet but it does tidy things up for me quite well - was using a 'bamboo' rack previously and things were everywhere lol.those isolators are gooey things - feels like solidified jelly - do you know what they are? - hope they dont break down with age / become brittle

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Sorren, given the component power supply is used to power the rear usb port.... am i right in thinking that if we put a good quality 15amp iec to the c1d that will improve the usb port performance?
Hi. Thanks for the note. Thank you for purchasing a C1 Mono DAC and M1.1 mono amps. From your equipment description banner, I assume your 6-box C1 Mono DAC is C1d, Right DAC, Left DAC, and three X1s. The USB port to which I refer is only used for software upgrades to the unit. It is not the USB Streaming card that plugs into a slot in the C1d. You might try an improved power cord on your X1 connected components and see if you hear a difference. X1s make a very easy to hear difference as you may already be aware.

Reactions: Bogan88

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing