Sharing a few system videos from last night‘s listening session

wish one more person on the forum was this open
Audio forums are very much like politics. each knows and dislikes the others. but I give them a pass here due the cost of this hobby. this thread is a safe place for us Kedar. I’m going to post some I have when I have time. videos do show plenty if you have learned what to listen for.
Carlos videos reminded me of yours. very dynamic, detailed. scaled and beautiful
some don’t want this.

Rex get a set of ear buds Bluetooth is fine
then get to know there sound and adjust there eq a bit. Mostly to me earbuds market towards boom bass. Lower bass , this mostly fixes all.
do horns have a distinctive sound like panels ?
I think horns and panels reproduce a sound I love. But it’s all I ever had so when I hear them I’m home again. Good or bad sound I’m home. loudness is individually heard, as we age and we loose some things sounds appear louder faster. but a well done system has the need to play louder less. if you can’t talk to a person next to you it’s loud. but while you can but still all the low level details and loud at once
It’s done well.
When I go to shows and you’ve seen me I wear ear buds lol. ear savers but always out in rooms
We unfortunately live in a world of ever increasing noise pollution. Lawn mowers, leaf blowers, traffic, TV’s and horrible digital muzac everywhere…. It sometimes seems that modern humans are forgetting the experience of quiet and the delicate sounds that exist in nature.

Many restaurants encourage a sonic din where patrons have to scream at one other to be heard. They know this environment increased alcohol consumption (high profit) and will keep the tables turning over faster for the next victims.

I also don’t think I’d enjoy an audio show with room after room of speakers shouting for attention. For the same reason, I find most amplified live music to be an abomination of sonic excess.

Sorry for rant…

A steakhouse I like blasts music and if not enough
Has the staff yell happy birthday while stopping there feet. I get it but I live a quiet dinner !

I use everything to my advantage and it is not by luck that my systems sound the way they do. Here is another one of my systems: different room, totally different speakers & electronics…… same great results:

To put things into perspective:

Rex horns don’t honk only bad ones lol.
horns have a level of realism for classical genre few other types get close to.

Can’t play video

It’s blocked by YouTube for Copyright reasons. I will post a different one that will not get blocked and with more exciting music.

Reactions: Alrainbow

Whats the setup being recorded here Carlos ..?

This is my big reference system. The speakers are the Wisdom Audio Adrenaline Rush and Wilson Audio WAMM MK VII subwoofer towers for a total of six towers, three per side. The Wisdom 75” ribbon towers handle frequencies above 150Hz, the Wisdom bass towers from 70 to 150Hz, and the Wilson subs everything below 70Hz. Current I’m using 8 monoblocks: a pair of bridged Cello Audio Duet 350’s on the ribbon towers, four Jeff Rowland Research WL-500 on the bass towers and a pair of Belles MB-500 on the subwoofer towers. Two sets of active electronic crossovers: Wisdom “SMART Brain” for splitting highs and lows at 125Hz, and a Bryson 10B for splitting the bass at 70Hz. The Wisdom SMART Brain has a number of very useful features and is an analog crossover which uses relays and is digitally controlled through a two-way remote control. To avoid over driving the crossover, I use a Wisdom Reference preamplifier for adjusting the gains on the high frequencies and a Gamut CR-2A for adjustment to the gains on the low frequencies after the Wisdom SMART Brain active crossover.

Upstream of the Wisdom SMART Brain crossover is where it gets interesting, because I have placed a System Remastering two-bus chain. The system Remastering is a system and process that I developed to modify any system’s transfer function in a prescriptive and predictable way. You can read the details on this forum in my thread called “There is a smarter way”.

Upstream of the system remastering equipment there is a Cello Audio Palette MIV version equalizer to extend the signal at both ends of the frequency extremes, that enhances “air” and “subterranean bass”. The Cello Audio Palette is driven by the Tubes Research Labs Golden Triode Platinum Edition preamplifier. And the source in this set up is my Digital Audio Denmark AX24 DAC streaming RAW-DSD128 from HQPLAYER through a custom made eXD Digital Network to SDIF-3 converter with an eXD Digital KonNET network switch.

The WAAR system is a very convoluted and complex system with extreme capabilities, which results in effortless and high resolution sound with excellent articulation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Audiohertz2
Familiar with the Wisdom audio setup and quite a few of the items listed just not all together in the same system :)

The EQ touching the bandwidth extremes carries a long way makes a big difference..!

Nice

Regards

I found something interesting, or maybe confusing. I was listening to some video of Mark Levinson. What confused me was why his voice in the video is so compressed, closed in and mid forward. It was not something I would want my stereo sounding like. I get a video to sort of gauge what my system is doing compared to others. But I don't get why it so far off with someone in the room on spoken voice. What other distortion is it making with what is coming out the speakers.

I found something interesting, or maybe confusing. I was listening to some video of Mark Levinson. What confused me was why his voice in the video is so compressed, closed in and mid forward. It was not something I would want my stereo sounding like. I get a video to sort of gauge what my system is doing compared to others. But I don't get why it so far off with someone in the room on spoken voice. What other distortion is it making with what is coming out the speakers.

When recording spoken voice, specially with a lapel microphone, it is common to use a limiter. Limiters turn down the loudness level of a sound more strongly. Limiters use a higher ratio than compressors. Limiters are also used because they increase perceived loudness by increasing the quietest parts of the spoken words while preventing the peaks from clipping.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing