May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
The opinions on the SACD SHM discs has been very positive as a whole. I've heard varying comments about the redbook SHM reissues, some fantastic and some fair. RUR here had a "fair" comment about the SHM "Scheherezade" by Renaissance, IIRC. Supposedly, all the SHM CDs are made from master tape transfers. My Steely Dan Aja SACD is incredibly good. Sorry I can't be more help.

Lee

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
RUR here had a "fair" comment about the SHM "Scheherezade" by Renaissance, IIRC.
Ashes Are Burning, Lee. Scheherazade hasn't (or hadn't) been SHM-released when last I checked.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Thanks for the input Lee and Ken. From what I have been able to find on-line according to the discussion on the Steve Hoffman Music Forums, it appears that the disc that I am considering (I think this is the right disc) was Digitally Remastered By Joe Gastwirt at Ocean View Digital. If it is, I suspect that it is the same re-mastering as the one used for the 1994 Digitally re-mastered Atlantic release 82666-2.

I have only been able to find one (possibly 2) reviews of the Close to the Edge SHM-CD:

http://www.swapacd.com/Yes-Close-Edge-Shm/cd/13111063/

The reviewer has indicated that he really liked this version and he could hear more in the recording.

At this point no re-mastered Gold CD version of this album has been released by Mobile Fidelity or Audio Fidelity.

Since this is my favorite of the entire Yes catalog and what I consider a cornerstone in my collection, I think that I will take a chance and order the disc. I will fill everyone in on my evaluation of this once I have some time to audition it.

Rich

Last edited:

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Looking forward to your review. CTTE is #1 in their catalogue for me as well.

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
My copy of Close to the Edge SHM CD was shipped out today from Amazon. The delivery date is expected to be on March 9. I will give it several listens and possibly make some comparisons to my previous Atlantic re-mastered CD from 1994. Unfortunately, at present my Turntable system is down and we are trying to figure out the issue with the Power box for my Soundsmith Strain Gauge Phono Preamp so I am unable to make a comparison with the my vinyl "Hot Stamper" of this same album.

Additionally, I have been listening to the new The Living Tree CD by Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman. I hope to report on this shortly as well. I still am not sure if I have my speakers quite tweaked just right for the best performance however I will report to the best of my ability.

Rich

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
The SHM CD that I have received is the 3 track WPCR-13246 released by WEA Atltantic Japan and it says on the back that it was Digitally Remastered By Joe Gastwirt at Ocean View Digital. According to Amazon it was released in 2008. It appears to be the exact same re-issue/re-mastered in 1994 released as 3 track 82666-2 Atlantic release which was Digitally Remastered By Joe Gastwirt at Ocean View Digital; I have this disc for comparison. It is not the Rhino reissue/remaster with any of the additional tracks or any of the Japanese SHM minidiscs with the HDCD.

I have listened now to the disc many times and have just started to make some comparisons with my 82666-2 Atlantic release which was Digitally Remastered By Joe Gastwirt at Ocean View Digital. I can not say that the two are exactly the same remastering but I suspect that they are. I have found that the new SHM pressing appears to be at a higher gain level than the original. Additionally, I would say that the original sounds a bit anemic compared to the new SHM pressing.

My impressions of the SHM disc follow those that I read on-line and confirms that the performance of these SHM CDs are going to be recording/mastering specific. There is no doubt in my mind that the SHM pressing is a much fuller sound (more body) than my other pressing. Chris' bass is stronger and tighter and all of the other instruments and voices are better rendered in space, overall the sound is quite dynamic with a more natural presentation, and there is more life like presentation to the sound of the instruments and Jon's voice. I think that the new SHM pressing may well have more detail in the recording with better separation than the 1994 digital remastering and release. Instruments appear to be better rendered and placed in space for both imaging and soundstaging and I think that I may be hearing a wider and possibly deeper soundstage as well. If this is from the same1994 digital remastering and release, I would say that my initial impressions are largely due to the Polycarbonate material of the disc. Of course anything else that was done in Japan for this re-release has also added to the performance.

I will have to continue to listen and make additional comparisons. But, at this point, I do not want to really go back to the 1994 digital remastering of this disc and would much rather listen to the new SHM CD.

I will continue to check in on this, but if anyone is interested in this pressing, they can be found in the Amazon Market Place for around $26.50 plus shipping; you do not have to pay the Amazon price of $36+ that I paid.

Rich

jtein

Mar 25, 2012
Malaysia
I own quite a number of SHM CDs and can say that I hear more low-level detail and texture to vocals and instruments. Images are more solid and there's more transparency. This observation is based on an A/B comparison on the song "Just Once" by James Ingram.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Have the Dire Straits / Love Over Gold. Quite good.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing