CD Ripping: Sound Quality Comparisons Between File Playback & Optical Disc Playback

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 25, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Alex and Bob, for this background information.

The concept is that one figuratively “rips open” the bits encoded on the CD when one downloads a CD to a hard drive.

I find funny the words we audiophiles use to make our hobby seem cooler. We who love the hobby don’t need to make it sound cooler to ourselves, and people outside the hobby will not find the hobby cool no matter what trendy words we adopt to describe what we’re doing. :)

Last edited:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 26, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Why the word “ripping”? One doesn’t rip open an aluminum compact disc; one rips open a teabag, one rips open a bag of potato chips.
I'm with you Ron... never understood the terminology. Another one I can't stand are "Needle Drops".... I would NEVER drop the needle of my Coralstone!!!!

Aug 10, 2018
Southern California
Why the word “ripping”? One doesn’t rip open an aluminum compact disc; one rips open a teabag, one rips open a bag of potato chips.

Is “ripping” supposed to make audiophiles feel like they’re doing something athletic? Instead of getting ripped abs they can get ripped (computer files) without leaving the couch?

What is being “ripped”? Can audiophiles really rip in half like a sheet of paper a Redbook CD? So nothing is being ripped, agreed?

How about “transferring from CD to hard drive”? In fact nothing is being damaged in any way, let alone ripped.
Maybe from the old days of blatantly pirating music, as in "ripped-off".

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I've already checked for that, and it has nothing to do whatsoever with the term "rip-off".
_____

"Originally it meant to rip music out of Amiga games. Later the term was used to extract WAV or MP3 format files from digital audio CDs, but got applied as well to extract the contents of any media, most notably DVD and Blu-ray discs."
_____

"Despite its name, ripping programs have nothing to do with the slang phrase "rip off," which means "stealing." There are various explanations as to the derivation of the term. According to one common theory, the programs are called rippers because the digital copying process can be very fast -- especially when compared to the time it would take to re-record sound or video from the source output. However, the term may actually derived from raster image processing (RIPping):

I actually heard the term "ripping" many years (20?) ago specifically applied to the conversion of analog video to digital format; at the time, I actually understood it as being derived from the acronym RIP: Raster Image Processor. I.e., it referred to what a physical piece of hardware did: rasterizing a stream of analog video frames. I'm guessing that it then got a bit more generic, covering analog-to-digital conversion of other media, in particular vinyl and tape audio. Small step, then, to the current meaning: capturing any media and converting it to another format (nowadays mostly digital-to-digital)."

~ Ulf Olsson, Ericsson Sweden
_____
RIPping > Raster Image Processing​

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2018
Southern California
I've already checked for that, and it has nothing to do whatsoever with the term "rip-off".
_____

"Originally it meant to rip music out of Amiga games. Later the term was used to extract WAV or MP3 format files from digital audio CDs, but got applied as well to extract the contents of any media, most notably DVDand Blu-ray discs."
_____

"Despite its name, ripping programs have nothing to do with the slang phrase "rip off," which means "stealing." There are various explanations as to the derivation of the term. According to one common theory, the programs are called rippers because the digital copying process can be very fast -- especially when compared to the time it would take to re-record sound or video from the source output. However, the term may actually derived from raster image processing (RIPping):

I actually heard the term "ripping" many years (20?) ago specifically applied to the conversion of analog video to digital format; at the time, I actually understood it as being derived from the acronym RIP: Raster Image Processor. I.e., it referred to what a physical piece of hardware did: rasterizing a stream of analog video frames. I'm guessing that it then got a bit more generic, covering analog-to-digital conversion of other media, in particular vinyl and tape audio. Small step, then, to the current meaning: capturing any media and converting it to another format (nowadays mostly digital-to-digital)."

~ Ulf Olsson, Ericsson Sweden
_____
RIPping > Raster Image Processing​
https://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/ripping-digital-extraction

Checking Wikipedia, the association of ripping with theft is dismissed. However, I'm reluctant to take any entry in Wikipedia, on a controversial topic, at face value. Does anyone recall the high legal stakes swirling around the practice of ripping music that was then made available to others. There would have certainly been some incentive for distancing the process of file sharing from the concept of theft in daily language.

The referenced link makes reference to Raster Image Processing (RIP) which is the process of an analog modulated electron beam scanning a display screen in rows of horizontal lines to make up a picture. Digitization of that sampled (each pixel) beam is actually an A/D conversion. The process of taking of transferring a CD image to files is nothing of the sort and the term "ripping", seems to have come into wide use and understanding for that purpose, not digitizing cassette or LP recordings. The latter, many years, and billions of rips later, may have been adopted in discussion of digitization of LP tracks, but that's certainly a more esoteric activity.

Language means what people think it means. If the term "ripping" has an pejorative or illicit connotation in the minds of many, then it does. Without an originator or explicit citations this point holds even more true.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

Is “ripping” supposed to make audiophiles feel like they’re doing something athletic? Instead of getting ripped abs they can get ripped (computer files) without leaving the couch?

What is being “ripped”? Can audiophiles really rip in half like a sheet of paper a Redbook CD? So nothing is being ripped, agreed?

How about “transferring from CD to hard drive”? In fact nothing is being damaged in any way, let alone ripped.
These are the things that keep you awake at night? :p

Feb 8, 2011
I don't know what's in the mind of 7.65 billion people. In this thread, "ripping CDs" is extracting audio files, to me and I believe for the majority.

I don't remember the very first day I used the term "ripping" but I think it was after I used the term "burning". And because my heart and mind are pure I always saw good on those terms.

:) It's fun, 2019 is going to be fun.

Feb 8, 2011
The OP is extracting the audio from his own CDs for personal and simplified use in his computer.
The police is not interested in his own personal simplification and pleasure.
He gave us his opinion and personal experience between his extracted file playback versus disc playback. The term "ripping" here is a long time accepted term and without the need of government's (lawmakers and abiding law police officers) intervention.

This thread is about ripping music for personal use and comparing the resulting audio files to the digital optical disc. That's all. It is not about ripping off the filmmakers by illegally copying and redistributing their movies for financial gains, like some kids from some poor countries or some lowlife scam artists.

This is a very distinguished thread with very distinguished people in a very distinguished "ripping" (extracting comparison) environment. :)

See good in good.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 26, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The OP is extracting the audio from his own CDs for personal and simplified use in his computer.
The police is not interested in his own personal simplification and pleasure.
Yes, the EULA states as such.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing