Shunyata DENALI

kyhf5168

Jun 7, 2013
I would go with Denali 2000T, Cyclops does improve sound but not to the level of Denali. I listened to both in my system at different times.

If your amps are power hungry make sure you have a good PC from the wall to Denali. When I originaly installed the Denali I was using an Anaconda CX. I could hear more information but the stage was lifeless (the best way I can explain it). Replaced it with a King Cobra CX and everything came back to normal with wide and deep staging including the additional information, all in a black background. No expert here but it sounded as if the amps were chocked.

Previously I had my amps straight to the wall with a Typhon and Triton II in the same Quadplex. I'm using a pair of Ayre MX-R monoblocks.

Dan

Hi Dan,

May a single Anaconda E-Tron PC be sufficient for connecting wall to Denali 2000T? I intend to drive a pair of Gryphon Mephisto amps with Denali.

Thanks,

Kevin

RedSectorA

Feb 19, 2014
Hi Dan,

May a single Anaconda E-Tron PC be sufficient for connecting wall to Denali 2000T? I intend to drive a pair of Gryphon Mephisto amps with Denali.

Thanks,

Kevin

Sorry Kevin I never tried an Anaconda Zitron so I can't really answer that. I guess you will have to try or contact Shunyata.

Dan

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Hi Kevin,

The Anaconda Zi-Tron model should work just fine.

Specifically, if you have a single amplifier connected to a Denali (or Hydra of any kind), its fine to use the same quality power cord to the wall as you do to the amplifier. If you have more than one high-current amp connected to the Denali, the same holds true in general, but you may get the best performance by going one model up from the power cords connected to the mono's. The more current being drawn from the wall through a Denali, the more important the power cord to the wall becomes (or looking at it the other way, that power cord becomes the weak link because it supports current for multiple high-draw amps. Given that the Griffen Mephisto's are class-A biased, just make sure that the power cord to the wall is at least the equal of better in terms of gauge and quality, than the cords to the amps.

Feel free to call of e-mail if I can provide any further personal assistance.

Best regards,

Grant
Shunyata Research

RedSectorA

Feb 19, 2014
Hi,
What is more important, the cords from the monoblocks to the Denali or the cord from the Denali to the wall? thanks

Hi Caesar,

Hard for me to say as I've had Alpha HC's to the amps for a long time and no intention of replacing them so I never really tested which one is more important (wall to Denali, Denali to amp). I do like the idea of the King Cobra's 5 gauge cord feeding the Denali :cool:

My thought on the overall power-noise issue is that your system is always as good as your weakest link.

Dan

Last edited:

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Hi Dan,

I use Ztron Anacondas from the wall to each Cyclop v2 (the predecessor of the 2000T) for my amps, and a Sigma HC from each Cyclop to each amp. I can't reverse the two cables since one has a 20 amp plug, and the other is 15 amp. My thinking is to put the Sigma amp filtering cable between the amp and Cyclop, with the Anaconda giving DTCD performance from the wall. My Shunyata system works so great I have no desire to buy a Denali. Maybe I will go to the next generation in three years. :)

Last edited:

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Some further thoughts on the Denali. The bass is really where I notice it. It's tight in a very natural way. It's like there is more foundation there. The 1.7s only go down to 38 hz but there is now a surprising amount of bass. It really shows up on the track Fools in Love from the Look Sharp! release by Intervention Records. This track has a wonderful reggae beat to it with a gorgeous bass line.

willip

Oct 25, 2016
Hi Caesar,

I am currently using Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution now.

For DAC before Dave, I was using Weiss Man 301. And some of the contestants for this round is CH C1 and DCS.

willip

Oct 25, 2016
For MPC, my concept is the HC should be a improved wall outlet and that is why should benefit both power amp as well as power bar

Podeschi

Dec 28, 2013
Portland OR
Yes, the Denali 2000T is designed specifically for amplifiers. There is no breaker. We us special alloys at termination junctions, the solid copper CopperConn outlets and new pat-pending technology derived from Caelin's design of the Typhon- our in-parallel $6k product. The 2000T is the product I recommend for amps or any remote (dedicated line) component applications, or an integrated amp/single source system.

I always prefer the products to prove themselves in the market before becoming promotional about them. The Denali models have at this point done that emphatically.

We have a number of pending reviews, but feedback from customers means the most to Caelin, Richard and I, because of the different system contexts and listeners. I now have a variety of feedback from multiple contexts and its been better than with any other products we have ever produced--and we've made some good products over the past 17 years.

Obviously, I never recommend buying without trying, but my confidence in the Denali Series is very high based on dealer, studio, medical and customer feedback.

Time in the market tells the tale on all products. Early returns have me feeling confident these Denali products will be the perfect fit in almost any high-end system because of their advanced high-current and noise reduction capability --and Caelin's design progression. As always, Richard and I are available for system advice and support.

I have been traveling and consulting on basic electrical set up of new new Electro-physiology systems that include Denali related technology. More importantly, we are trying to educate these surgery labs about the proper electrical set up of the systems--wiring, dedicated lines, same-phase, breaker ratings, shielded power cords, isolated ground outlets. It's surprising that segments of the medical industry are so antiquated in their understanding of the importance of proper electrical set up , that they are behind our little cottage industry. Twist-tied power cords unshielded power cords and they wonder openly why they have a noise issue? Please. These labs have something called an RFI Generator that is the base generator that provides heart cauterization and they wonder why they have noise using cheap iso-transformers. If you have heart arrhythmia and need an ablation, be careful of the lab you choose. Our products have revolutionized that procedure.

Caelin's entire family are master electricians. His sister earned an electrician-of-the year honor in a male dominated industry-- no small feat. Caelin's background in dealing with military signal acquisition systems and noise suppression is unmatched in our product category. We know electrical systems-- first. Then, we make some really cool products. :)

I'm no great salesman, in fact I'm not really a salesman at all. I always undersell. But I will say this, when Caelin comes out with new products at whatever price, pay attention, because our POV is competing with lower retail prices, better performance and explainable science. These are the only reasons we are here and we love what we do. It's a specialty--like the finest little-Italy Italian restaurant in NYC, we focus on what we do best. :)

Feel free to contact Richard or I directly with any questions.

Best regards,

Grant

Would love to compare the Denali 2 outlet against the Isotek Super Titan I have now conditioning power to my Luxman M800A monoblocks with a 32A dedicated circuit, and the 6000T against the Jena Labs Sequoia for my front end (ARC Ref 6 & 2SE, Berkeley Ref Dac 2, Spiral Groove SG 1.2). If the Denali's beat those two I could sell them and easily fund multiple Denali's. If Shunyata wants a non-biased (I have zero affiliations; my loyalty and wallet is tied to my ears), I am happy to get on a trial circuit if you are sending product out for evaluation.

Darrin Podeschi

Podeschi

Dec 28, 2013
Portland OR
I guess most of this depends on wether you feel there is really a need to run separate 20A Wall Recp for each amp. What size is the fuse in each of the Amps?
Then there is the issue of potentially increasing the likelyhood of a ground loop forming by having more than one path to ground for the amps using tow recepticals.

Great point. In discussions with Stirling Trayle, he mentioned the same thing -- keeping equipment plugged into same wall outlet to mitigate ground loop and other noise.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
A lot of members on WBF are in denali about their power needs. ;)

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Hi Darin,

Unfortunately, we only work through our network of dealers and distributors in terms of sales and product loans. I could certainly refer you to a reliable dealer or distributor near you if that would help

A great deal of feedback has come to light since the post of mine you have copied, including a review in Audio Stream and upcoming reviews in The Audio Beat by Marc Mickelson and Vance Hiner and TAS by Robert Harley. Robert pre-views his review in this Months TAS Buyers Guide and the TAB review will be out this week or next, most likely. In addition, we have a wealth of feedback from dealers, customers and lost of comparative comments posted in various forums. It has all been very consistent as to the performance and value of the Denali products. I do not know the products you are using, so have no idea as to cost or comparison and cannot comment, not that it would matter.

In terms of your ground-loop comments; multiple dedicated lines can be extremely beneficial -- and without any ground problems if installed properly.

Problem-free dedicated lines
Making sure the lines (Wire) are equidistant from the panel, so each run of wire is the same as the longest run (you can lose wire in the joists by zig-zagging, never coiling). Make sure the lines are the same gauge, the same wire-type (THHN is a great wire type), on the same phase of the panel and has the same outlets and same breaker ratings. Basically, carbon copies of one-another. I've never run into ground problems professionally or with customers if they are installed with these simple precepts. All being equal, who wouldn't want high-current separate from line-level components and who wouldn't want 60A of current spread over dedicated lines versus 15A or 20A on one line. Perhaps this configuration is not better in every case, but in 17 years of doing this work, I've yet to learn of an instance where its not better (performance wise). The higher-draw the amps and system, the more difference separate lines can make.

I hope this is of some help. This is just from our perspective and experience of course.

Regards,

Podeschi

Dec 28, 2013
Portland OR
Hi Darin,

Unfortunately, we only work through our network of dealers and distributors in terms of sales and product loans. I could certainly refer you to a reliable dealer or distributor near you if that would help

A great deal of feedback has come to light since the post of mine you have copied, including a review in Audio Stream and upcoming reviews in The Audio Beat by Marc Mickelson and Vance Hiner and TAS by Robert Harley. Robert pre-views his review in this Months TAS Buyers Guide and the TAB review will be out this week or next, most likely. In addition, we have a wealth of feedback from dealers, customers and lost of comparative comments posted in various forums. It has all been very consistent as to the performance and value of the Denali products. I do not know the products you are using, so have no idea as to cost or comparison and cannot comment, not that it would matter.

In terms of your ground-loop comments; multiple dedicated lines can be extremely beneficial -- and without any ground problems if installed properly.

Problem-free dedicated lines
Making sure the lines (Wire) are equidistant from the panel, so each run of wire is the same as the longest run (you can lose wire in the joists by zig-zagging, never coiling). Make sure the lines are the same gauge, the same wire-type (THHN is a great wire type), on the same phase of the panel and has the same outlets and same breaker ratings. Basically, carbon copies of one-another. I've never run into ground problems professionally or with customers if they are installed with these simple precepts. All being equal, who wouldn't want high-current separate from line-level components and who wouldn't want 60A of current spread over dedicated lines versus 15A or 20A on one line. Perhaps this configuration is not better in every case, but in 17 years of doing this work, I've yet to learn of an instance where its not better (performance wise). The higher-draw the amps and system, the more difference separate lines can make.

I hope this is of some help. This is just from our perspective and experience of course.

Regards,

Very helpful thanks. Makes me feel better about my 5 dedicated 32 amp lines I put in with upgraded wire. Will try Denali via music direct. Cheers.

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Very helpful thanks. Makes me feel better about my 5 dedicated 32 amp lines I put in with upgraded wire. Will try Denali via music direct. Cheers.

Thanks for the reply, Darin.

If you do evaluate our products or any others, try to evaluate the conditioner or distributor without other types of conditioners on-line (plugged in). Some conditioners for example, have a measurably high degree of capacitance or inductance, which interacts with the conditioning built into component power supplies and has a signature that will add to any system result when using another brand or approach to current-delivery and isolation.

This is generally why many electronics manufacturers recommend against "power conditioning". They understand that some power conditioners work against the conditioning elements (reactance) that are built into their own power supplies or moreover, work against simple peak-current delivery--which virtually all analog-output components are sensitive to. This is historically why power conditioning has been 'hit or miss' in different systems--works well in some and not in others.

Electronics and electrical systems can vary widely in terms of their sensitivity (because of the variable approaches used in per. supply design) to power conditioning. Chokes, Coils, Transformers, Capacitive-based approaches and regeneration all have their advantages and disadvantages--but in essence represent a brick-wall approach to blocking external grid related noise from reaching an electronics system. Many of these designs also block an exit path for internally (proximal) generated noise. Its the same theory of operation that fits hand in glove with protection from spikes and surges, which is how all this got started so many years ago.

Caelin's approach is entirely passive, intended to preserve peak current delivery (#1) through custom-designed parts and material refinements; such as Sonic Welding and other treatments, solid copper connections and other parts and patents unique to our products. There is a minimal amount of measured capacitance in Hydra products-- not nearly enough to work against even the most heavily choke regulated power supplies (ex: Musical Fidelity, Halcro and a few others). The ideal from our perspective, is to achieve maximum through-put of peak current and two-way isolation of internal and externally generated noise--without adding any active components that would create variability in performance. Properly applied as a system, this leads to consistent performance across professional, medical and high-end audio systems. Some may have another preference in power conditioning/power cord system of course and not everyone will bother to try everything. An advantage of our approach is that the concepts, patents and science is well defined, explained and measured. The rest is up to the individual and the unique system its applied in. It's also worth noting that the current Denali system products don't cost anywhere near 5 figures. As we notice the trend toward rising cable and power-product pricing, our response is to improve the products and come down in price. We'll have to wait and see over the next year whether this was the right decision.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about application, or if I can help inform the process in terms of which products make the most sense to evaluate and where to place them.

Best regards,

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
My Denali D6000/S has three zones and I'm wondering if I'm making the best use of them. Zone HC isn’t being used currently so I wonder if there’d be any benefit to shuffling things around to make use of that zone.

The three zones are in use as follows:

Zone 1:
a) SMPS that charges battery/ultracapacitors in a Chord TT DAC
b) SMPS that charges ultracapacitors in UpTone LPS-1 power supply that powers a Sonore microRendu streamer endpoint

Zone 2:
a) Spectral preamp via Alpha HC
b) Pass phono stage via Alpha Analog

Zone HC:
(empty since my Spectral amp is plugged directly into a 2nd dedicated circuit via Alpha HC)

Both of my digital components are said to be fully isolated from the AC circuit, so I’m not sure they gain much themselves from the Denali. My other components likely benefit though from being isolated from the noise generated by the switching mode supplies that charge their batteries/ultracapacitors.

I'm hoping Grant might comment on whether there might be any benefit from shuffling things around as far as what is plugged into each zone to take advantage of the unused zone. Posting here in case others may benefit from the response.

SR-1

Sep 3, 2016
London, United Kingdom
Would a Denali be out of place with a headphone-only system? My system is: modem/router and NAS > switch > microRendu (powered by an LPS-1) > Chord DAVE dac. The headphones are driven by the DAVE. I do not have a dedicated line to run my system from.

Are there any plans to produce a UK version of the Denali?

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
My Denali D6000/S has three zones and I'm wondering if I'm making the best use of them. Zone HC isn’t being used currently so I wonder if there’d be any benefit to shuffling things around to make use of that zone.

The three zones are in use as follows:

Zone 1:
a) SMPS that charges battery/ultracapacitors in a Chord TT DAC
b) SMPS that charges ultracapacitors in UpTone LPS-1 power supply that powers a Sonore microRendu streamer endpoint

Zone 2:
a) Spectral preamp via Alpha HC
b) Pass phono stage via Alpha Analog

Zone HC:
(empty since my Spectral amp is plugged directly into a 2nd dedicated circuit via Alpha HC)

Both of my digital components are said to be fully isolated from the AC circuit, so I’m not sure they gain much themselves from the Denali. My other components likely benefit though from being isolated from the noise generated by the switching mode supplies that charge their batteries/ultracapacitors.

I'm hoping Grant might comment on whether there might be any benefit from shuffling things around as far as what is plugged into each zone to take advantage of the unused zone. Posting here in case others may benefit from the response.

Some preamplifiers sound better through the HC outlets, especially those with very wide bandwidths. That is assuming that the HC outlets are not being used by the amplifiers. Give it a try.

CGabriel

Industry Expert
Oct 31, 2013
WA, USA
www.shunyata.com
Would a Denali be out of place with a headphone-only system? My system is: modem/router and NAS > switch > microRendu (powered by an LPS-1) > Chord DAVE dac. The headphones are driven by the DAVE. I do not have a dedicated line to run my system from.

Are there any plans to produce a UK version of the Denali?

Many headphone systems are running through Denalis. The intimacy and transparency of a good headphone is very well served by the noise reduction capabilities of the Denali.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Some preamplifiers sound better through the HC outlets, especially those with very wide bandwidths. That is assuming that the HC outlets are not being used by the amplifiers. Give it a try.

That's interesting. I have found that my preamplifier doesn't like the non-HC outlets of the Denali but never tried the HC outlets. I will try that!

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA

Yeah my Spectral preamp definitely favors the HC outlet. Transients are faster and I think clarity improved as well.

Thanks for the reply!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing