Shunyata Grounding System

barbz127

Jun 4, 2022
You should ground any unused interface port on the DAC module. Regarding the power supply, I'm not sure, as it it's not clear how one would connect a ground cable to the LPS. Perhaps using a chassis screw.
Thankyou

Yes I can confirm there is continuity between the chassis screws on the power supply and the ground lug in the iec.

My understanding is the power supplies should be chassis grounded whereas the DAC unit itself should be signal grounded when and if I get a second altira.

But not sure if that understanding is correct

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
Thankyou

Yes I can confirm there is continuity between the chassis screws on the power supply and the ground lug in the iec.

My understanding is the power supplies should be chassis grounded whereas the DAC unit itself should be signal grounded when and if I get a second altira.

But not sure if that understanding is correct
The (standard) guidance from Shunyata is that if you are going to start with a single ground hub, start with a CG hub. If you do, you can connect both the power supply and the DAC module to this CG hub, as well as your other amplification components. If you decide to add additional hubs at some point, then add an SG hub (and then use it to connect your DAC unit, for example). If you decide to start out with a segmented system from the "get-go", the standard guidance is to start with two (or more) SG hubs. This does not mean that if you start with a CG hub first, that you cannot addition SG hubs later, you certainly can. The info from Grant above is very informative about how to consider configuring your Altaira system.

Again, please read ALL the Altaira system information from Shunyata that has been linked to above. This is really important. Then, work with a trained and certified Altaira dealer.

Reactions: Lee

TommyC

May 28, 2014
Can gears without a grounding pin (e.g., receivers) benefit from Altaira connection? According to the Shunyata roadmap, 2 prong gears should not be grounded.

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
Can gears without a grounding pin (e.g., receivers) benefit from Altaira connection? According to the Shunyata roadmap, 2 prong gears should not be grounded.
Zeotrope and the Shunyata roadmap is correct. If the IEC receptacle only has two prongs, and no "ground pin", then you should not connect that device to an Altaira or Gemini ground terminal. The Altaira "roadmap" was written for a reason, so that end-users can determine if, and if they can, then safely and properly install an Altaira in their system. It's important that potential customers read all the Altaira foundational and installation guidance before purchasing and installing an Altaira ground hub. Cheers.

Last edited:

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Absolutely agreed,...if the manufacturer saw fit to not provide a connection to earth ground at the IEC level, for whatever reason,
do not ground that device. I believe this includes both chassis as well as signal ground (consult with Shunyata/other expert for
confirmation).

For the avoidance of doubt, the above list should include Altaira, Gemini, Denali (any model with ground lug), Typhon T2, Triton v3, Everest 8000, or any other ground hub from any manufacturer.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Can someone clarify the isolation of the outlets on a Denali 6000 v2: is each outlet isolated from each other regardless of whether it's on the same duplex? Shunyata says 'yes', but that there is also more isolation among duplexes; but has also said that is not the case, and all (6) outlets are equally isolated from one another.

Puma Cat

Feb 20, 2011
SF East Bay Area
Can someone clarify the isolation of the outlets on a Denali 6000 v2: is each outlet isolated from each other regardless of whether it's on the same duplex? Shunyata says 'yes', but that there is also more isolation among duplexes; but has also said that is not the case, and all (6) outlets are equally isolated from one another.
The Denali 6000v2 Specifications table specifies there are 6 zones of isolation on the Denali 6000 v2. This is also unambiguously specified on the Denali 6000v2 product web page: https://shorturl.at/gnIO7

"Design advances within include objectively lowered noise, 6 zones of isolation and superior high-current performance for amps and other high-current electronics on all outlets."

All little research goes a long way. Cheers.

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
All little research goes a long way. Cheers.
Thanks for the dose of free attitude.

And if you do real research, not just copying and pasting marketing content from the product page, you will see that Shunyata says the following:
"All 6 outlets of the Denali are isolated from one another. But if you are only connecting 3 devices and to maintain the best isolation possible, I would recommend powering these 3 different by way of their own duplex. If you add more components, we always recommend plugging in "like" components into a shared duplex - i.e. analog with analog and digital with digital. "

So all 6 outlets are Not all equal.

I was asking to get clarification from someone who actually knows the truth, not cuts and pastes from the website.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
You too...!
It was just the last sentence that I found annoying.

Yeah, Shunyata (Richard, to be specific) has said both - all 6 outlets are equally isolated and also that there is more isolation among the 3 duplexes, so not sure which is correct (I suspect the latter). I know some members here speak directly to Caelin, so was curious if anyone knew.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Yeah, Shunyata (Richard, to be specific) has said both - all 6 outlets are equally isolated and also that there is more isolation among the 3 duplexes, so not sure which is correct (I suspect the latter). I know some members here speak directly to Caelin, so was curious if anyone knew.
These filters aren’t perfect so the rules of thumb should still be followed for best results, is what I think he is saying. In other words, 1) it’s always a good idea to leverage multiple duplexes vs combining on a single duplex when possible and 2) it’s always a good idea to only have “like” devices plugged into a single outlet. My take: this is going to be worth doing until the time comes when Shunyata is able to implement a filter that removes all noise without harming DTCD, but we’re not there yet so careful placement is the smart thing to do.

Not also that RF drops by the square of the distance so just having more a greater distance between outlets can drop emitted noise naturally. That’s why proper cable dressing is another good best practice. This includes keeping cables off the floor and making sure that signal cables are kept a good distance from power cords.

Reactions: PYP and Zeotrope

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Thanks. What I also noticed that when I plugged in an active sub (with a dirty/cheap switching power supply) into the other outlet on the Typhon T2, the DarTZeel 108 amp sound changed significantly (for the worse). According to Shunyata, this should not happen, as each outlet on the T2 is isolated; but hearing it proved that's not correct (at least in my setup).
I suspect the issue was more in terms of DTCD, but not sure. Imaging was affected, primarily. I plugged the sub back into the Denali (which is connected to the T2). It's currently in its own duplex, and I think it's best that way.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Even if you were to.be able to totally isolate a outlet which I have never seen happen. Your still stacking devices onto one power cord, one duplex and 1 branch. I personally would never put subs, amps and /or front end equipment on a single branch wire.

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Thanks. What I also noticed that when I plugged in an active sub (with a dirty/cheap switching power supply) into the other outlet on the Typhon T2, the DarTZeel 108 amp sound changed significantly (for the worse). According to Shunyata, this should not happen, as each outlet on the T2 is isolated; but hearing it proved that's not correct (at least in my setup).
I suspect the issue was more in terms of DTCD, but not sure. Imaging was affected, primarily. I plugged the sub back into the Denali (which is connected to the T2). It's currently in its own duplex, and I think it's best that way.
If this is the case when plugging in the subwoofer I'd suspect the subwoofer has a power supply problem of a magnitude the Typhon T2 cannot overcome. I had this happen to me with a subwoofer and it drove me crazy trying to figure out why I was experiencing a higher than normal quiescent noise level in my system. I tried all sorts of bonding and grounding, temporary ground jumpers and the like until in disgust I yanked the subwoofer cord -- and silence.

Steve Z

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
If this is the case when plugging in the subwoofer I'd suspect the subwoofer has a power supply problem of a magnitude the Typhon T2 cannot overcome. I had this happen to me with a subwoofer and it drove me crazy trying to figure out why I was experiencing a higher than normal quiescent noise level in my system. I tried all sorts of bonding and grounding, temporary ground jumpers and the like until in disgust I yanked the subwoofer cord -- and silence.

Steve Z
Interesting, thanks for sharing that.
I cannot hear anything amiss when the sub is plugged into its own duplex in the Denali, so I put it back there. I guess this proves that the isolation among duplexes is better than between outlets in one duplex.

Reactions: oldmustang

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...I would expect there to be *no* isolation between outlets on the same duplex. From duplex to duplex, yes. Although bolstered by thicker brass and good space around metal pieces, it is still ultimately a single duplex outlet, made by Hubbell. What pollutes one *plug*, pollutes its adjacent sister *plug* (talking about a single duplex/two *hole* outlet here).

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Yeah, I agree @MarkusBarkus; but Shunyata says there is indeed isolation between outlets on the same duplex. I think you are correct and this is why they also say there is better isolation among duplexes.

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
We can surmise whatever we want, but Caelin Gabriel has made it perfectly clear in his depiction of noise reduction strategies that it is not a single plug-in device or single methodology that completely obliterates the problem… because the introduction of noise is parasitic throughout our audio systems and our rooms and it is a cumulative effect of multiple devices (including cables) that add up later upon layer (problem and solutions).

Nothing bring absolute

It appears from the (above) video that Shunyata’s duplexes have a “current bridge” similar to a stock duplex between the two sockets in each duplex. So I believe there is not complete isolation socket to socket. Yet what the folks ahead of me in this thread have been commenting on, though it sounds contradictive in absolute terms, it is not at all.

Imho we need to wrap our head around how noise infiltrates and therefore how it needs to be eradicated in forward thinking.

Last edited:

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
We can surmise whatever we want, but Caelin Gabriel has made it perfectly clear in his depiction of noise reduction strategies that it is not a single plug-in device or single methodology that completely obliterates the problem… because the introduction of noise is parasitic throughout our audio systems and our rooms and it is a cumulative effect of multiple devices (including cables) that add up later upon layer (problem and solutions).

Nothing bring absolute

It appears from the (above) video that Shunyata’s duplexes have a “current bridge” similar to a stock duplex between the two sockets in each duplex. So I believe there is not complete isolation socket to socket. Yet what the folks ahead of me in this thread have been commenting on, though it sounds contradictive in absolute terms, it is not at all.

Imho we need to wrap our head around how noise infiltrates and therefore how it needs to be irradiated in forward thinking.
Richard Rogers is a neighbor of mine and he was just by last night as a matter of fact. I'll ask him next time we speak about the intra-duplex vs. inter-duplex isolation question as it relates to the Typhon and Tritons and Everests, et al.

As you say, we can surmise all we want -- we are audiophiles after all -- but short of taking a look inside your Shunyata power distribution devices for yourself, I trust what Richard tells me.

Steve Z

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing