Shunyata Power Cord for digital/ sources

thyname

Apr 22, 2019
N. Virginia
Hi Caelin and Grant, and all Shunyata owners. I have never owned any Shunyata higher end cables (except for a Venom HC a while back), but this my be a good time to try.

I am considering the Alpha EF and NR, as well as Sigma EF and NR. For my Innuos ZENith MK3, and the soon to arrive Innuos Phoenix USB.

Which one of those four Shunyata options is best match for Innuos?

Currently I am using Synergistic Research Atmosphere X Level 3 Euphoria all around, but I am always willing to experiment, now with Shunyata, as I appreciate their work in the space.

Thanks!

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
From your own experience, if you buy Alfa and subsequently test Sigma, you will regret it (even on low-consumption devices)

Reactions: microstrip

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
In that I have no experience. I have NR both to connect my Denali to the wall and to go from Denali to the devices.

ken6217

Sep 28, 2017
You won't believe the Phoenix. I received mine yesterday. What a game changer. Might be the biggest upgrade you've had.

Reactions: thyname

thyname

Apr 22, 2019
N. Virginia
You won't believe the Phoenix. I received mine yesterday. What a game changer. Might be the biggest upgrade you've had.

I doubt it would be the biggest upgrade I have ever had. I have had a lot of upgrades :p. I would love to be surprised though.

What power cord are you using with Phoenix? What about the two USB cables you would need since you have Phoenix?

ken6217

Sep 28, 2017
I've had a lot of upgrades as well, but even as they have all improved the sound, the Phoenix makes the instrument sound so real.

I'm using a Kubala Sosna Realization power cable, and their USB cable. I need to audition a second USB cable. In the meantime I had a JPS Labs Superconductor cable at a DanaCable USB cable. The KS cables are too expensive for me to get a second one.

Reactions: thyname

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
What is the Phoenix? A new Shunyata power cord?

Ed_K

Oct 27, 2019
Greer, SC USA
Just got the Shunyata Alpha NR pc's for a trial. Great power cords, quiet, unhampered dynamics. Using on my DAC and Aurender Server. Trying to get a Denali in for a trial.

pke10000

Jan 22, 2018
I’m using Shunyata’s King Cobra CX for Aurender W20. It is higher grade than Anaconda.
I compared it with Transparent Opus, Nordost Valhalla2, Siltech Rubyhill2, Kubala Elation, and several... None of them couldn’t replace it.
It gives dynamic, live feeling at bass and soft high, those are screen out the weak point of digital.

I strongly recommend it for digital source but not analog. As I heard, their new top level has different sonic spec.

Reactions: Ed_K

thyname

Apr 22, 2019
N. Virginia
OP here. Update:

I picked up a Delta NR at a good price. Hooked up to my Innuos ZENITH MK3. Replaced in temporary basis a Synergistic Research Atmosphere X Level 2 Excite.

Only about 5-6 hours, but so far I am impressed. For the price, it performs very well. Not as extended and “sparkling “ as the SR PC, but it has a very good bottom end extension, a very pleasing, warm “sound”, and not fatiguing.

I think I should be OK with stepping it up to Alpha NR. I am also itching to get an Audioquest Hurricane source PC to try.

Thank you all for chiming in. Happy New Year

Reactions: kennyb123 and Ed_K

Mcbrion

May 9, 2013
Connecticut
OP here. Update:

I picked up a Delta NR at a good price. Hooked up to my Innuos ZENITH MK3. Replaced in temporary basis a Synergistic Research Atmosphere X Level 2 Excite.

Only about 5-6 hours, but so far I am impressed. For the price, it performs very well. Not as extended and “sparkling “ as the SR PC, but it has a very good bottom end extension, a very pleasing, warm “sound”, and not fatiguing.

I think I should be OK with stepping it up to Alpha NR. I am also itching to get an Audioquest Hurricane source PC to try.

Thank you all for chiming in. Happy New Year

Did you get the Alpha NR?
I might've found the Delta - which is a non-ZiTron power cord - hard to live with after all Zitrons for the past 9 years.(I wanted to love it, I truly did.)

The Delta, despite its obvious qualities, sounded a step back from the "live" experience of a symphony hall. I sold it at a price that would make some other buyer happy, and replaced it with a ZiTron. What was interesting is that the bass on the Delta seemed more concussive than even on my Alpha HC, but that was at the beginning of its residence in my stereo system. And I switched it and the Alpha HC to each other's position, to be certain it wasn't the positioning. Nope. Each maintained its sonic signature, no matter where it was placed in the system.

This led me to a conclusion: Once you've had ZiTron, you can never go back.

Bluedog

Nov 22, 2013
Boston
I read in a recent interview with the Innuos designer that the Zenith Mk2 and Reference streamers are very sensitive to the power cord used. I would agree, noticing a nice improvement switching from a Delta NR to the Alpha NR on a Zenith Mk2. Also noticed a nice improvement doing the same switch on my Berkeley USB Alpha converter.

I was surprised also to see that an older Sigma Digital PC took a back seat to the Alpha NR on my Berkeley Alpha DAC.

Crashem

Dec 21, 2015
I thought I saw on some forum that Shunyata recommended the Venom v14 digital for digital sources that output a digital signal. Examples might be streamers or computers. On the other hand if device outputs analog like a dac, it was just to use one of the NR line that best fits budget.

thyname

Apr 22, 2019
N. Virginia
I thought I saw on some forum that Shunyata recommended the Venom v14 digital for digital sources that output a digital signal. Examples might be streamers or computers. On the other hand if device outputs analog like a dac, it was just to use one of the NR line that best fits budget.

I have tried both Venom v14 digital, and Venom NR v12. The NR version is better for all digital only stuff. Audible. And the price difference is negligible

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I too tried the much vaunted Venom NR PC's-v10 and v12's (but not the 14 digital)-I cannot say I was taken with the resulting"sonic transformation" Shunyata plaudits would have us believe.

I perserved for a month with the system left on the sound was no better than either the CC's or the Hirakawa's I had in house--in fact I was aware after the third week my soundstage was collapsed from what I had experienced plus the nuances on well known tracks had gone AWOL :( !

Returning to the basic Hirakawa's( Like the CC's semi Domestic PCs with Hospital grading)--all returned to as I was accustomed and aware.
I suggest careful audition of Shunyata products before you part with the hard-earned

They gave me the impression the baby went out with the bathwater.

Caveat Emptor

BruceD

crion

Oct 29, 2014
Well if you want 0 filter the XC models could be what you are looking for. I know there are some gear/listeners that just love straight highway DTCD, my digital preamp might be one of them even though logic would dictate otherwise.

Bluedog

Nov 22, 2013
Boston
Well if you want 0 filter the XC models could be what you are looking for. I know there are some gear/listeners that just love straight highway DTCD, my digital preamp might be one of them even though logic would dictate otherwise.
As far as I know, Shunyata is recommending the XC cables only for use with power conditioners, not upstream components. Maybe Galen or Richard will jump in on this one.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing