Shunyata Sigma X- QC vs NR

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Does anyone know anything about the new Sigma X line of Shunyata power cables? I was impressed recently by trying an Alpha X-NR PC on my DAC (despite a negative expectation bias), but hearing is believing. I'm therefore contemplating trying their newly released Sigma-X line of PCs but know absolutely zero about the expected sonic differences between their NR and QC models (the QC are ~60% more expensive!). Of course I can read the website information which will tell you at great length about the merits of each of their numerous bells and whistles technologies (without saying too much mechanistically about how they accomplish what they do. I guess I can always read the patents!) . But still, I'd like to get some hands-on feedback from anyone who has actually tried either of these variants with high powered (monobloc) amps. I anticipate that there is not much field experience yet with these, but if there is, please share anything that you think is relevant (comparators always welcome!)

The different "flavors", e.g. NR and QC serve different applications. If the power cord is to go between a component (eg amp, preamp, phono stage, DAC) and a power conditioner such as the Denali or Everest, then you want the NR NOT the XC.

The NR stands for "noise reduction" and in Shunyata's approach, this means not only reducing noise from the outlet (even if using a power conditioner) but also blocking the noise that emanates from the component per se (and hence travels back into a conditioner or the wall and might therefore contaminate other components).

The QR includes the noise reduction technology and then adds a component that helps "store" energy for those dynamic passages. This would be most appropriate for an amp and would connect the amp to the power conditioner.

The XC is for "high current" and is expected to connect the power conditioner directly to the wall. It is about unrestricted flow of current.

Are there sonic differences? Yes with QR being the "best" because it contains both the noise reduction of the NR and the energy "capacity" feature.

But ALL offer a remarkable improvement in sound stage, bass control, articulation, etc.

Reactions: Elliot G.
Craig, as I understand it from the web site, the XC is recommended for power conditioners only. Ok, I get that. But I have to take your preference of the QC over the NR as one based on speculation, unless I am wrong and you have heard both and can say your assessment is based on empirical experience.
As I have said my guess is that few, if any, listeners have made this comparison with real world listening due to their limited time on the market, but thanks for your feedback nonetheless.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu