Shunyata V/s Purist

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Looking for feedback on the merits , tonal signatures of the Shunyata Anaconda Zitron and the Purist Canorus . Has anybody heard or better still tried these cords in their rigs . They are both Copper conductors and retail for around the same, so feed back would be appreciated . Also if there a link explaining what the Zitron tech actually is . The Shunyata site seems a tad under-done .

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I used to have mostly Purist 20th Anniversary (the pre cursor to Canorus). They are fantastic cables...extended, quiet, etc. I have since moved to Shunyata ZiTron Anaconda. Cord vs cord the anaconda zitron's have a little more resolution and clarity but a little less beauty vs purist. The newer Purist power cables with the networks i have not tried...

I will say, the reason I made the switch was the Shunyata in conjunction with the Shunyata Triton or Triton/Typhon (which I now have) is just pretty much amazing in terms of the resolution, clarity, dynamics, super quiet allowing all sorts of energy to appear in the soundstage from various things. Right now I have 7 Anacaonda Zitron's, a Triton, a Typhon and 2 King Cobra CX's (on the clock and transport for digital).

Now the Purist cables with the networks may do this also...I am hoping to try some on my amps soon as a comparison. PS, I thought the Purist Canorus was a alloy of gold, silver and copper...

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
jfrech , thanks for the feedback .The Canorus is the 20th Anniv rechristened . It is pure Copper . They have the 25th Anniv which is silver , as far as I know there is no gold used in any Purist cord. Are the Shunyata Anaconda a hollow tube design or solid conductors, any issues with their flexibility in tight spaces ?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I use nearly all Purist Audio Dominus/Ann Contego power cables. I have played around with only a few other cables and always come back to these in my main components. I like Sablon Audio a lot for certain things like my Oppo and Velodyne. I have heard a trial cable in my CJ which gave even more treble clarity than my PAD...and I am thus tempted to get 1 PAD 25th Ann which is their first silver cable, and also has a network that supposedly filters out EMI/RFI and lowers noise floor. There is something about PAD that is best exemplified when I play Glenn Gould Bach Goldberg Variation (1983)...the mid section of the keyboard reminds me of when I studied piano...there is a proper gradation of power across the keyboard reflective of how the keys are striking, the weight of the wires, etc. I have heard other cables with a bit of this or that (particularly a touch of clarity), but none takes me back in that recording to all those years of practicing the piano the way the PAD does on Glenn Gould.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I use nearly all Purist Audio Dominus/Ann Contego power cables. I have played around with only a few other cables and always come back to these in my main components. I like Sablon Audio a lot for certain things like my Oppo and Velodyne. I have heard a trial cable in my CJ which gave even more treble clarity than my PAD...and I am thus tempted to get 1 PAD 25th Ann which is their first silver cable, and also has a network that supposedly filters out EMI/RFI and lowers noise floor. There is something about PAD that is best exemplified when I play Glenn Gould Bach Goldberg Variation (1983)...the mid section of the keyboard reminds me of when I studied piano...there is a proper gradation of power across the keyboard reflective of how the keys are striking, the weight of the wires, etc. I have heard other cables with a bit of this or that (particularly a touch of clarity), but none takes me back in that recording to all those years of practicing the piano the way the PAD does on Glenn Gould.

I recently heard the 25th Anniversary at Albert's home. We were just playing around and took them off his Focal Electro Magnet power supplies...holy smokes the difference. Honestly, it took his system down several notches...I am seriously thinking about trying these on my amps...keeping all my Shunyata on my front end....will have a wait a bit...they are pricey...but likely worth it...

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
jfrech , thanks for the feedback .The Canorus is the 20th Anniv rechristened . It is pure Copper . They have the 25th Anniv which is silver , as far as I know there is no gold used in any Purist cord. Are the Shunyata Anaconda a hollow tube design or solid conductors, any issues with their flexibility in tight spaces ?

Ah, you're right..the inter connects use the copper, silver, gold alloy...The Anaconda ziTrons are a braid around a hollow core...so many smaller conductors in a complex braid. They are flexible..but usually only one way...so they can bend easily in a few directions...but not all...

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
Disclaimer - I sell Purist Audio Design cables.
Lots of flavors out there when it come s to power cords, but I seem to always prefer the "house sound" of the PAD cords.
The Canorus is a fantastic power cord and great bang for the buck cord.
Even though I sell all the PAD cords, have not been able to afford the 25th Anniversary in my own Reference System.
Some day ..................

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I recently heard the 25th Anniversary at Albert's home. We were just playing around and took them off his Focal Electro Magnet power supplies...holy smokes the difference. Honestly, it took his system down several notches...I am seriously thinking about trying these on my amps...keeping all my Shunyata on my front end....will have a wait a bit...they are pricey...but likely worth it...

Thanks...intriguing!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Hey Jfrech,

Any chance you could provide any more 'color'/notes on what you heard when the 25th Ann power cables came out? What were they replaced with when you took them out? Trying to get a sense here of what 'down several notches' means. Thanks!!!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hey Jfrech,

Any chance you could provide any more 'color'/notes on what you heard when the 25th Ann power cables came out? What were they replaced with when you took them out? Trying to get a sense here of what 'down several notches' means. Thanks!!!

Hi, the soundstage collapsed down, felt like noise or hash permeated the sound, the effortlessness was fleeting, the bass lost some texture, vocals lost their presence. The tone didn't really change...This was versus the stock focal cord, which was some sort of OEM'd upscale cord...Albert said even stepping down the the Purist Canorus cable this same things occured (even though the Canorus was better than stock)

Hope helps some

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi, the soundstage collapsed down, felt like noise or hash permeated the sound, the effortlessness was fleeting, the bass lost some texture, vocals lost their presence. The tone didn't really change...This was versus the stock focal cord, which was some sort of OEM'd upscale cord...Albert said even stepping down the the Purist Canorus cable this same things occured (even though the Canorus was better than stock)

Hope helps some

Helps a lot actually...thanks!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing