Sigberg Audio MANTA Wideband, Dual Cardioid, Coaxial Speakers

sigbergaudio

Industry Expert
Feb 20, 2023
Oslo, Norway
www.sigbergaudio.no
I am quite sure I understand you, but perhaps for clarity as others read here, which are you referring to by "xlr":

AES3 digital
Or
AES48 analog*

*( ok over the years three pin analog has many names but used this one since it is a little more modern )

My apologies, I am refering to analog XLR (AES48), meaning one can use any traditional preamp with analog, balanced XLR outputs. :)

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
I took a peek at your system info, if I understand this correctly the crossovers in your main towers are still intact, and you are feeding your speakers a single signal (since each speaker is powered by a single mono amplifier). So from this perspective you are not doing crossover duty externally, save for separating the signal for the mains vs the subs.
Hello, yes the main tower speakers still contain the built-in Analog x-overs. I guess I haven't found the courage to physically remove/replace them yet for an exclusive all Active x-over configuration. I suspect my courage would increase greatly if by some chance Magico stops selling parts for broken components (God forbid) :).

In my case I chose the compromise of using Digital x-overs baked into the signal using Convolution files which are created using Audiolense software. The Convolution files are then used against the Digital source music files coming from my NAS by the Roon music server and processed there, all in the Digital realm. Lastly, my 5 Digital channels are then forwarded to my 8ch DAC by way of Ethernet where it is converted to Analog and then sent out to each Amp in the chain.

There is only 1 DA stage in the whole path. Once the signal goes Analog it remains there for the rest of its journey despite all the above activity having occurred before I got to hear the first note.

Breakdown is as follows:

Channel 0 = Left Main speaker see's only 60hz on UP, is Phase/Time Aligned and Vol matched to all other speakers
Channel 1 = Right Main speaker see's only 60hz on UP, is Phase/Time Aligned and Vol matched to all other speakers
Channel 2,3 & 4 are Mono Sub Channels and are Phase/Time Aligned and Vol matched to all other speakers.

The signal from both Channels 0 & 1 between 10-60hz are sent out to Ch 2,3 & 4 equally.

The output level adjustment of all channels is simultaneously done with DSP Vol control within the Roon server and the Roon App on my phone is my primary remote control.

Reactions: sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Industry Expert
Feb 20, 2023
Oslo, Norway
www.sigbergaudio.no
A large studio (Velvet recording) close to Oslo in Norway went full Sigberg Audio this spring. We installed Mantas and dual 10D subwoofers in their control room, and SBS.1 with dual Inkognito subwoofers in their mixing/mastering room. We also did an additional SBS.1 + dual Inkognitos in the home studio of one of the owners. In connection with this we did an interview of the master engineer.

Here are a couple of short clips from that, talking about the Mantas:

sigbergaudio

Industry Expert
Feb 20, 2023
Oslo, Norway
www.sigbergaudio.no
I am happy to share that we've received a product of the year award from the Norwegian magazine Stereopluss for our Manta speaker system! :)

INCREDIBLY IMPRESSIVE!
There is a lot that can be said about tonal balance, tightness in the midbass and the openness in the midrange and treble, but what I am really left with after the test is the almost shockingly precise and three-dimensional soundscape. It’s like sitting in a studio with excellent acoustics, listening to a couple of studio monitors or even better, being present where the sound originates. With an ensemble, band or orchestra at an appropriate distance from you.
1708631256033.png
1708631283955.png

Reactions: RCanelas

rmcadam

Dec 16, 2019
I have two JL F112 subs currently connected by a Minidsp flex balanced for active crossover and REW. If I put the Mantas in place of my current old monitors how is this connected and how is Rew performed? Robert

sigbergaudio

Industry Expert
Feb 20, 2023
Oslo, Norway
www.sigbergaudio.no
I have two JL F112 subs currently connected by a Minidsp flex balanced for active crossover and REW. If I put the Mantas in place of my current old monitors how is this connected and how is Rew performed? Robert

We do of course recommend using our own subwoofers, as then you are guaranteed the proper bass quality and response. Also the crossover is preset out of the box. You can however of course also use competent subs from other brands like JL Audio as well. :)

As you already have a setup with an active crossover (the MiniDSP) in place, you have a good starting point. The Mantas are high passed by default, so they don't necessarily need to be connected via the MiniDSP at all, unless you want to use that to EQ the speakers. They also have built-in EQ, so it can be done directly in the speakers as an alternative.

Just leave your subs connected to the MiniDSP as they are now, and configure the crossover to 100hz 24db/octave. If you have already used REW to tune the subs, that can probably also just be left as is, depending on what your current crossover is.

rmcadam

Dec 16, 2019
Is the Mantas high passed at 100 hz? I currently have subs and speakers at 167hz suggested by monitor manufacturer. It seems high but makes a huge difference to the sound. I’ve used 80hz for years but can never go back.

Reactions: sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Industry Expert
Feb 20, 2023
Oslo, Norway
www.sigbergaudio.no
Is the Mantas high passed at 100 hz? I currently have subs and speakers at 167hz suggested by monitor manufacturer. It seems high but makes a huge difference to the sound. I’ve used 80hz for years but can never go back.

The Mantas were designed from the ground up to be mated with our subwoofers, and were designed to blend well with the subwoofers running a 100hz 24db/octave crossover. The Mantas roll off naturally with an anechoic -3dB point at around 90hz. In-room it will be a bit lower. This means there is some overlap between speakers and sub by design.

If you control the crossover point externally for both speakers and subwoofers (with for instance the MiniDSP), you could cross them higher as well. But with the 12" midbass driver they have plenty of capacity to be crossed at 100hz.

Which speakers/monitors do you have currently?

Manta anechoic response:
1708726680445.png

sigbergaudio

Industry Expert
Feb 20, 2023
Oslo, Norway
www.sigbergaudio.no
Unity Audio Boulder MkI’s from the Uk. I’ve had active speakers for years with active subs.

Are you in the UK yourself by any chance? If that is the case, the Mantas can be auditioned in London.

sigbergaudio

Industry Expert
Feb 20, 2023
Oslo, Norway
www.sigbergaudio.no
Unity Audio Boulder MkI’s from the Uk. I’ve had active speakers for years with active subs.

Those look good. The difference from that and to the Mantas (and our SBS.1 monitors as well) is the fact that they have no intention of playing bass at all, so they use different drivers. The woofers are high power midbass drivers, not bassdrivers. So they have a different suspension, lighter cones and higher sensitivity. They can simply play louder with less compression / distortion than anything of comparable size.

rmcadam

Dec 16, 2019
I live in New Zealand, no one here has ever heard of your speakers or even the ones I currently own which I imported.

Last edited:

sigbergaudio

Industry Expert
Feb 20, 2023
Oslo, Norway
www.sigbergaudio.no
I live in New Zealand, no one hear has ever heard of your speakers or even the ones I currently own which I imported.

Right, that's pretty far away. :) No audition opportunities there as of yet.

rmcadam

Dec 16, 2019
Hi NZ market very small. Would be good to read more reviews of Mantas. Keith at Purite UK puts them slightly ahead of 8c but down plays it somewhat. I prefer the active sub option which you have designed for. If I get to UK next year I will have a listen. But I bought my UK monitors unheard from UK. I find the ribbon tweeters on the bright side. They are not “Cardioid” either.

sigbergaudio

Industry Expert
Feb 20, 2023
Oslo, Norway
www.sigbergaudio.no
Hi NZ market very small. Would be good to read more reviews of Mantas. Keith at Purite UK puts them slightly ahead of 8c but down plays it somewhat. I prefer the active sub option which you have designed for. If I get to UK next year I will have a listen. But I bought my UK monitors unheard from UK. I find the ribbon tweeters on the bright side. They are not “Cardioid” either.

Keith retails both the 8C and the Sigberg Audio speakers, so it would make sense for him to try to be quite neutral. My understanding is that the Mantas are currently his main and daily speakers. :)

The Mantas are not bright, but still have an open and detailed sound.

You also have plenty of opportunity to adjust the overall tonality to your taste and/or room:

* The top end can be changed between 0dB (reference), +2dB or -2dB at the press of a button
* Since it's designed for sub you of course have the option of adjusting the gain of the sub as well, which will change the perception of the overall tonal balance.
* With the included software you can access advanced EQ including tilt functions, that will allow you to adjust the tonality further.

With regards to reviews: There will likely be more reviews down the road, but we simply don't have any to send out at the moment - will reserve a pair for reviews when we get more back in stock in a couple of months. In the mean time, you may find the review of our SBS.1 speakers from Jay's Iyagi interesting. The SBS.1 is founded on the same basic concept with the ground-up-designed-for-sub, and uses the same coaxial driver.

Jay comments on both the concept of it being a speaker system consisting of speakers + sub, and on the overall tonality and sound quality of the speakers. There are many similarities between them, except the Manta takes everything a few steps further.

sigbergaudio

Industry Expert
Feb 20, 2023
Oslo, Norway
www.sigbergaudio.no
Reactions: Glide3

sigbergaudio

Industry Expert
Feb 20, 2023
Oslo, Norway
www.sigbergaudio.no
The Manta has so far only been available in satin black, but will soon be available in satin white as well. :) Contact us if you're interested in this color combination!

1710674084731.png
1710674147161.png
1710674187099.png
1710674269224.png

Reactions: Glide3

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing