Sigma Acoustics MAAT Vector XAC

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Opening a dedicated Sigma Acoustics speakers thread because information about their flagship MAAT Vector XAC and other models is scattered through various threads.

BTW, I'm quite familiar with Sigma Acoustics speakers. They attracted my attention at the 2022 Padova Hi-Fi Show (Orchestra 2.9) where they sounded really, really great, even though the system and room were quite modest. Then I read Kedar's Zerro Distortion report and decided that I needed to know them better. So, in the last two years, I have listened to the MAAT Vector XAC (and Orchestra 2.9) in four very different systems in Italy, not to count the Munich and Padova Hi-Fi shows.

IMG_8259.jpeg

Encouraged by Kedar's report of Andrea's all Kondo system and MAAT Vector XAC in Italy, a few months ago I took a small group of audio buddies with Aldo and visited Andrea. Great experience! To be short, I agree with Kedar that these speakers sound like a musical version of the big Wilsons.This system is also one of the best systems I have heard.

c85dca21-4ca6-4f79-ac12-89740164931d.jpeg

This visit also influenced Franc Kuzma, who decided to buy MAAT’s and they already play in his new SMT designed listening room.

IMG_3454.jpeg

Last edited:
This Kuzma pair looks really nice aesthetically. It looks like he also bought the Vector, which I seem to prefer to the older MAAT.

How are the small ones compared to the big ones, and what amp is that on the small ones?

Did you have a similar conclusion on the Kondo driving it much better than the others?

Mandatory videos for Equipment review threads, sorry.

This Kuzma pair looks really nice aesthetically. It looks like he also bought the Vector, which I seem to prefer to the older MAAT.
Same here. Have heard the old MAAT too, maybe it was the same pair Toni is using now (or similar), but they didn’t impress me. Now, I’m not sure it was the speakers fault…
How are the small ones compared to the big ones, and what amp is that on the small ones?
Concerto 2.9 has very similar qualities, just a little bit less than the Vector XAC. Same basic “right” character (similar tweeter, identical midrange and I think the bass unit is identical too), similar dynamic agility, weight, natural tone but, understandably, can’t scale like their big brothers. Also, the capability of the Concerto 2.9 to clearly portray the last rows of the orchestra can't be compared to the Vector XAC.

In Padova Concerto 2.9 were driven by CanEVER Audio Olimpico, 60W hybrid.
Did you have a similar conclusion on the Kondo driving it much better than the others?
Yes, Kondo is driving them easily and for me even surprisingly.

Last edited:
Same here. Have heard the old MAAT too, maybe it was the same pair Toni is using now (or similar), but they didn’t impress me. Now, I’m not sure it was the speakers fault…

Concerto 2.9 has very similar qualities, just a little bit less than the Vector XAC. Same basic “right” character (similar tweeter, identical midrange and I think the bass unit is identical too), similar dynamic agility, weight, natural tone but, understandably, can’t scale like their big brothers. Also, the capability of the Concerto 2.9 to clearly portray the last rows of the orchestra can't be compared to the Vector XAC.

In Padova Concerto 2.9 were driven by CanEVER Audio Olimpico, 60W hybrid.

Yes, Kondo is driving them easily and for me even surprisingly.

I think the it is because of the paper drivers in the Vector, and less confusion from two bass woofers dappolito style.

The Canever olimpico hybrid might not be good then.

It will be interesting to hear Vector or Concerto biamped with something like a Airtight 300b, NAF 2a3, etc to see how it compares to Kondo.

One more video

Great to have a dedicated thread for these speakers. Having heard them in Munich and been impressed, I have now heard Son's Pilium-based system as well as both Orchestra 2.9 & MAAT at Aldo's place near Venice.

While the speakers have many positive attributes, the standout for me is the bass - it is crisp, taught, and musical, while at the same time having incredible impact and depth, and makes them the best bass I have heard from a set of 2-channel speakers. Playing the O-Zone Percussion Jazz Variants was quite an experience and the best I've heard this track by some margin. Even at extreme volumes, they feel unbreakable.

The Canever olimpico hybrid might not be good then.
No, no. On the contrary, Concerto 2.9 with the Olimpico was a very successful pairing, but I agree that other combos with more powerful SE amps would be more interesting.

When I was at Aldo’s place, he first drove his Vector XAC with an old Mark Levinson SS monos and the sound was very meh, but then we changed them for some humble diy 15W/ch SE amps, and it was a completely different story. At that moment, I realized I needed to visit Andrea to hear them with the full Kondo system.

b53d9591-99a6-4bf0-877c-a0591d1ad2a1.jpeg

That doesn’t mean that Vector XAC requires SE amps. At Franc Kuzma they’re driven by a 2.500W/ch Karan monsters and sound phenomenal. Also, I have heard them with Audio Research pre and Pass monos in Italy and this pairing was also successful. Not exactly to my taste, but I can’t deny it was very good.

e8a7761c-d29f-4f41-b18f-a7bebdc95b41.jpeg

IME, Sigma Acoustics speakers and Vector XAC in particular, let the user choose amps to their taste and, because of high efficiency (for conventional speakers), don’t push you in one or other direction and that’s a rarity in audio.

Last edited:
Reactions: SCAudiophile
I have visited Kuzma before with Toni and heard his legacy speakers with the Karan

When I was at Aldo’s place, he first drove his Vector XAC with an old Mark Levinson SS monos and the sound was very meh, but then we changed them for some humble diy 15W/ch SE amps, and it was a completely different story. At that moment, I realized I needed to visit Andrea to hear them with the full Kondo system.
I thought apart from the ML amp he had Mastersound?

Found a photo and interestingly, amps are marked as Sigma Acoustics. Maybe someone has made them for Aldo…

21a5092e-fc3d-42d9-976c-75f8003d6e9e.jpegf71cd67b-b8d8-44e9-8617-a320ca49d35f.jpeg

Must be new.

I heard the MAAT Vector XAC in Munich High End 2019; a fantastic speaker and setup and for me one of the top most memorable experiences with a speaker for that entire show...

While the speakers have many positive attributes, the standout for me is the bass - it is crisp, taught, and musical, while at the same time having incredible impact and depth, and makes them the best bass I have heard from a set of 2-channel speakers. Playing the O-Zone Percussion Jazz Variants was quite an experience and the best I've heard this track by some margin. Even at extreme volumes, they feel unbreakable.
Agree. Bass is definitely one of many Vector XAC strengths. I have never heard the famous Sheffield Lab Drum Record playing so realistically. It sounded very close to the real drum kit in a room with peaks easily reaching 105dB’s and this is not the limit. Vector’s bass has everything you could wish for: extension, power, definition, speed…you name it and most importantly, it’s as natural as other parts of the spectrum.

My experience comparing the MAAT to other speakers has made me realise that there are quite different approaches to reproducing bass. I recently heard a system using Stenheim Ultime Ref 2 speakers which do bass in quite a different way. I would characterise the MAAT as having quite a lean, dry, percussive bass, focused on the impact of the leading edge of bass drum strikes, whilst the Stenheims are a more saturated, rich, rounded bass, what you might call fruity or plummy (although that may be a particularly English expression).

Neither are right or wrong, just personal preference. Personally I would prefer the MAAT approach as I find it drives the flow of the music better.

A few interesting technical details:

Tweeter and midrange units are adjustable in all directions. A bit different from Wilson but with the same goal.

IMG_4502.jpeg

IMG_4492.jpeg

IMG_4425.jpeg

Bass units (actually baskets) can be somehow put under pressure. I can imagine why but would rather read the designer’s explanation. Never seen such an option for speakers before.

IMG_4494.jpeg

Another interesting thing is that from the front you can see two bass, two midrange units and one tweeter, but there is another midrange unit hiding behind the tweeters and directed to the (inner) side. On the back side of the lower midrange unit's enclosure, there is also an adjustable reflex system.

IMG_4497.jpeg

IMG_4495.jpeg

Reactions: adamaley

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu