Single-Ended Triode (SET) Amplifier Revolution of the 1990s. Did it really happen? Was it Successful?

G T Audio

In the 90's I used to design and build my own SET DHT amps. I played with the 10Y, 50, 2a3, 300b and 845.
I got to know JC Morrisson, Herb, Don, Mike Lefevre, Komuro, John Camille and others. I learned a lot from those guys.
Now I listen to Benchmark Media amp and pre, I love the extremely low distortion and extreme low noise.
Using VOT and Edgar horns, with the triode amps, I loved the dynamics. So I built a clone of the Geddes Nathan that uses a 10" oblate spheroid waveguide to use with Benchmark.
It is perfectly possible to design and build a totally silent SET amplifier that you can put your ear to 105dB horns and hear zero noise from the drivers, as in no hiss or hum. I have been doing this commercially for over 25 years so you can hear the best from the SET topology.

VinylSavor

May 15, 2018
Lindau, Germany
www.vinylsavor.com
It is perfectly possible to design and build a totally silent SET amplifier that you can put your ear to 105dB horns and hear zero noise from the drivers, as in no hiss or hum.
Fully agree. There is no reason why a tube amp (SET or PP) has to hum or be noisy. They can be made as quiet as is desired.

Cycling Nut

Jan 20, 2021
It is perfectly possible to design and build a totally silent SET amplifier that you can put your ear to 105dB horns and hear zero noise from the drivers, as in no hiss or hum. I have been doing this commercially for over 25 years so you can hear the best from the SET topology.
Of course that is possible for a SET amp and many SS amps.
But with the Benchmark equipment I hear more transparancy and music. For once I think the distortion and noise levels being extremely low make a sonic difference for me, maybe not for you, and that's great!
Sterophile tests: https://www.stereophile.com/content/benchmark-media-systems-ahb2-power-amplifier-measurements I have not seen any tube amps and very few SS amps match or exceed these numbers/graphs. And numbers dont tell everything about how it will sound to you or me.
As I got older I like super clean, clear sound, its not for everyone. It wasnt for me 25-30 years ago!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing