Sliding force???

I accidentally happened upon an ECM LP with a blank fourth side ("Into The Silence")

1547148458222.png

and notice what happens:

Then I enabled and adjusted anti-skating to tame it:

I know ddk has designed his platter to provide a sliding effect to some degree, but I thought mine was excessive. Still trying to assess possible sonic effect.

Last edited:

Comments

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks for your very detailed explanation, Tasos. Very well expounded and it's quite clear to me now, re your AS device and how it works. It's good to know that you are getting good use from it, and that is a very good thing.
Here's more along the same lines from the Analogue Productions Ultimate Test LP

IMG_4071.jpg
That Track 1, as it says, increases in amplitude over time, and the tone must remain clean.

The most important quote in there I thin is "Both linear and modulated groove velocity, tracking force, stylus profile and vinyl composition are contributing factors"

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
Here's more along the same lines from the Analogue Productions Ultimate Test LP

View attachment 65071
That Track 1, as it says, increases in amplitude over time, and the tone must remain clean.

The most important quote in there I thin is "Both linear and modulated groove velocity, tracking force, stylus profile and vinyl composition are contributing factors"
Thanks Ack.....I use this test record for several setup steps including AS. I listen thru headphones on this track and currently the signal stays clean, the last 4-5 seconds I hear a very slight distortion at that +12db amplitude. I have played with both the AS and VTF to see about eliminating it but no success yet. I'm not too concerned about it as again it happens right at the end. I check my Delos stylus about 3x a year under scope and it has no uneven wear......I think I'm good with it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high-end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing