Only to know for my curiosity
Regards
Gian

Last edited by a moderator:

Comments

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 4, 2014
The cutout appears to be the same. I am aware of one SME Model 20/12 in London that was custom made by SME to allow the stock armboard to be shifted slightly on the top chassis to accommodate a 3012 arm. I do not know how they got around the RCA terminal connection. Perhaps that was also adjusted to suit.
Thank you.

May 30, 2010
Portugal
Not possible, Fransisco. A dealer wrote me that it may be possible to replace the rear arm tube stub with stock tubing and cut it shorter to make the arm fit, but that would mean the counterweight could not be moved by rotating the knob on the back of the arm, which is a nice feature. David wrote me that any modification to this arm messes with the sound, so I am hesitant to modify the arm, hence the idea for the outboard arm pod.
You have tow possibilities there - moving the tonearm to a safe zone and use an non SME alignment of the cartridge (as most people with SME's do) or just moving the two offending O-rings to another position in the same the pillar . I also would never modify the the rear arm tube, but would not mind using the rear arm tube of the 3009R on the 3012R - same materials and structure, but one centimeter shorter.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
If someone is interested to buy a near NOS SME 3012R,
I just added one offer to the WBF Classifieds listings.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing