Solving acoustics on a 17' x 13'8"x 10' room for two channel

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
In small room acoustics, you must treat the low frequency issues first and foremost. The fundamental low frequency issues produce harmonics that extend through the middle and higher range frequencies. If you treat the fundamentals, you minimize the impact at the middle and high frequencies. In a room this size and volume, you have major treatment issues starting at 33 Hz. and going through 225 Hz. Moving speakers around in a room this size and usage will not have the effect you desire. Treat the room fist and then set up within the treated room.
Question for you if I may: Is there a tradeoff between treating the ceiling and treating the floor? I could be wrong but my impression from what I've read and the many photos I've looked at is that in the pro studio space at least treatment of the ceiling is common and the floor (beyond carpeting) rare. Having treated the walls and ceiling I'm finding little audible difference so far when testing absorptive panels at the floor first reflection points. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

MTB Vince

May 11, 2019
Dundas, ON Canada
Question for you if I may: Is there a tradeoff between treating the ceiling and treating the floor? I could be wrong but my impression from what I've read and the many photos I've looked at is that in the pro studio space at least treatment of the ceiling is common and the floor (beyond carpeting) rare. Having treated the walls and ceiling I'm finding little audible difference so far when testing absorptive panels at the floor first reflection points. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.
I'm not Dennis but I can answer that. In a typical studio space the mixing desk will occupy the space where you might have placed absorptive traps on the floor for the first reflection. This would apply with 100% certainty to the nearfield monitors and likely mid or far field monitors as well. All mixing/mastering studios will incorporate absorptive ceiling cloud" treatments above the mix desk and MLP. Carefully aimed mid or farfield monitors using mid and high frequency horns with a narrow vertical throat profile to limit vertical dispersion will largely avoid exciting the floor and ceiling primary reflection points.

Last edited:

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I'm not Dennis but I can answer that. In a typical studio space the mixing desk will occupy the space where you might have placed absorptive traps on the floor for the first reflection. This would apply with 100% certainty to the nearfield monitors and likely mid or far field monitors as well. All mixing/mastering studios will incorporate absorptive ceiling cloud" treatments above the mix desk and MLP. Carefully aimed mid or farfield monitors using mid and high frequency horns with a narrow vertical throat profile to limit vertical dispersion will largely avoid exciting the floor and ceiling primary reflection points.

I appreciate your comments. I used the pro audio space by way of comparison, but my question regarding potential tradeoffs was related to home listening rooms.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing