Some interesting liner notes for UltraAnalogue's new tapes.

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
First, I want to thank you all for your interest in my chamber music tapes! UltraAnalogue Recordings has grown out of my life long love of classical music & my audiophile roots! It's been fun following my good friend & tube maven, Tony Ma's posts with you all on this forum....

I usually have the musicians write more personalized "liner notes" for our recordings, rather than something everyone can find on Google....I was especially moved by what Xiang wrote for our recent recording, "The Chaccones". I've posted it here for all the read....These "notes" are tucked away in the various "sets" in the "store" section of the website. (ultraanaloguerecordings.com)

My focus with UltraAnalogue Recordings, is to offer the audiophile community new tape software of passionate performances which can test the limits of your audio systems & increase the magic of the audio-music experience. If any of you happen to be in the Toronto area, please let me know.....I'm happy to play some of these master tapes for you....

Mozart Duo. K. 423

Unlike string quartet, piano trio, or violin and piano duo, string duo is a relatively limited form, which doesn’t provide composers enough free rein to illustrate their musical imagination. However, Mozart handled this form in such mastery way that the two distinctive voices are beautifully balanced.

In the summer of 1783, Mozart visited Joseph Haydn’s brother, Michael Haydn, who was extremely ill. Michael Haydn, on the other hand, had just finished four of the six duos, which was commissioned by the Archbishop; however, he was afraid of not finishing the rest of the commission due to his illness. Knowing his friend’s despair, Mozart composed two duos in only two days and wanted Michael Haydn to put his name on and send them to the Archbishop.

As beautiful as the story is, it is more than obvious that these two duos are highly Mozartian and no one would possibly take that by mistake.

Both duos are originally composed for violin and viola. By changing the viola part one octave down, Werner Reiner arranged them to be suitable for playing on a cello. For me, the combination of violin and cello provided a wider range of color and sonority compared to violin and viola.

This G major Duo is one of my favorite duos. Unlike many other classical string duos which tends to put the viola/cello in the position of accompanying the violin all the time, Mozart made these two voice relatively equal so that the listeners can almost hear constant active conversations between two instruments from beginning to end.

In the recording session, SJ and I were trying to explore different possibilities to bring out as many colors as possible without losing the spontaneity. In the minor section of the third movement, we bravely decided to use baroque-like bowings and sound to fit the shape of the music. In contrast to the major section that contains fast running triplets and trills, such special minor section brings us to a completely different world of simplicity. Too stylistic? Too simple? Too complicated? I guess it’s better to let the listeners judge.

Vitali Chaconne and Bach Chaconne

For me, recording both Chaconnes on the same tape was not only a difficult physical task, but also an unbearable emotional journey.

It was 18 years ago, while my dad and I were browsing in the music section of a bookstore in my hometown Inner Mongolia, one cassette drew our attention. It was a classical album by Chinese violinist Qing Zheng, whose eyes were almost blind after she was born. However, she overcame so many unimaginable difficulties to study violin because of her enthusiasm to music and became a great violinist. I remember my dad bought this cassette and whisper (halfjoke-like) to me, “Maybe one day you will play for this great violinist!” The first piece of this album is Vitali Chaconne, and I still remember how stunned I was after I listened to the first chord of the violin solo – so powerful, rich, yet vulnerable…Undoubtedly, such deep impression left such a magnificent mark on my six year old soul.

You must be wondering, “Why are you telling me this?” Well, four years after that, I moved to Shanghai, and not long after, I became a student of Qing Zheng at Shanghai Conservatory! Life is full of coincidences and adventures, sometime one word or one note can change our life. Maybe it was the first chord of Vitali Chaconne that led me to the professional violin career; maybe my dad’s joke had sowed the seeds of hope in my young unconsciousness!

The most striking thing in this piece is the unimaginably wide range of colors and emotions, which was considerably rare in baroque music. Unlike Bach’s Chaconne which is very well balanced with harmonic structure and aesthetic proportion, Vitali’s Chaconne modulates from one key to another constantly in such ease, its tentacles even reach keys like B flat minor and E flat minor!

Not only the unique modulations make it romantic, the singing elements also shine with the light of emotion. In the middle soft section, listeners almost have to be closer to the speaker in order to capture every little details of the whispery – so sweet, delicate, and vulnerable. In the end when the theme comes back with octaves, I could feel the roar from so deep in my soul spewing out desperately, as if the violin is trying to cry its heart out.

In Bach’s Chaconne, one can hardly find such direct expression; instead, the emotions were somehow spiritual and philosophical.

My first experience of recording Bach Chaconne happened four years ago in Chicago. I was in the concert hall alone and the recording facilities were all on. About five minutes before I played the Chaconne, I received a call from my dad, saying that my mom just got leukemia and might not live very long. I remember how hard it was to force myself hold the tears and start the first tragic D minor chord of the Chaconne, but once I started, my heart was filled with music and images. When the major section comes after the long-lasting storm like arpeggio passage, I can see the river reflects the gorgeous golden dusk. If one can possibly imagine how heaven looks like, this would be it. However, reality comes back after the beautiful dream. The sorrow of d minor lasts till the end of the Chaconne. Unlike the mournful beginning, the last section inherits both the tragedy from the first section, and the hope of the major section, which leads us into the final destination – the resurrection. In the past four years, I witnessed my mom’s illness and death, but every time I played Bach Chaconne, her image emerges to my heart. Thank you Bach, for teaching me that death is not the end, it is a beginning, beginning of a new world and new life experience, since I believe that she is in a better place now.

Xiang Yu 2013

Last edited:

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
THANK YOU Edward

This is/was SO beautiful! And a glimpse into what we try to experience/share/understand.

It's NOT the equipment - but it/they do help "open a window".

Charles

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Dear Mr. Pong,
Thank you so much for Xlang Yu's review of liner notes regarding the UltraAnalogue Recording of Bach's and Vitali's Chaconne. This was beautifully written and touched my heart. As a 70 plus year old African American you can imagine how fortunate I was to have been exposed to classical music back in the early 1950's. It was almost unheard of to have any teachers who had a love for classical music, but I was blessed to have had one. Mr. Mitchell loved Mozart, Bach and Berlioz.

While I was familiar with many recordings of Bach's Chaconne, I had no idea that Vitali has also written such music. And the wonder is, you have produced both Chaconne's on one tape and it's a must have for me. How do I locate this tape and what is the cost? I am sure it's a tour-de-force. :)

jazzbo

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
Dear Jazzbo
Thanks for your interest! Please go to the website: ultraanaloguerecordings.com, in the "store" section you will find that tape under the set "Xiang Yu and Li Wang.

Edward
Edward

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I received my latest order from Ed a week or so ago. They are the four recent tapes issued by UltraAnalogue, including the 2 Chaconnes that Xiang Yu wrote about so eloquently as well as the Mozart and Handel-Halvorsen Duos, with the viola part transcribed for cello. I think that the sound quality is even better on these tapes than the quite excellent sound that Ed has produced on his prior releases. However, what I most enjoy is the maturing of these young artists, Xiang Yu and Sieste-Jan Wiejenberg, who are really becoming great players. They play on the other albums, too, the Beethoven Ghost Trio and the Bach Cello Suite 6. If you want more classical chamber music on Reel to Reel, Ed Pong's UltraAnalogue is where you can get it.

Larry

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
:) Hello Astrotoy,

I plan to purchase the J.S. Bach's Chaconne because I love that music. I have several recordings, but nothing on tape. Please share with us what you think of this particular recording. I will look out for your reading on this. Thanks much.

jazzbo Bob

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Dear Bob,

I really like the tape, both in sound quality and performance. Not only are there the Vitali and Bach Chaconnes but also the Monti Czardas which is great fun and a nice contrast to the Bach that precedes it. As reviewers write, "highly recommended."
BTW, Ed likes to use NAB EQ on his tapes, even though they are at 15ips 2 track. I buy them that way. Other folks, like Tape Project, etc. use CCIR, so I have to remember to switch my Bottlehead Pre Pro to NAB when I play Ed's tapes. He will do CCIR if you want.

Larry

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Good Sunday Morning Sir,

Larry thank you for getting back to me. I am preparing to get ready for church but wanted you to know how much I appreciate your input on this. I am not familiar with the Monti Czardas's Chaconne, but am looking forward to hearing it. Thanks again and have a wonderful and blessed coming week, you and yours.

jazzbo Bob

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Dear Bob,

I really like the tape, both in sound quality and performance. Not only are there the Vitali and Bach Chaconnes but also the Monti Czardas which is great fun and a nice contrast to the Bach that precedes it. As reviewers write, "highly recommended."
BTW, Ed likes to use NAB EQ on his tapes, even though they are at 15ips 2 track. I buy them that way. Other folks, like Tape Project, etc. use CCIR, so I have to remember to switch my Bottlehead Pre Pro to NAB when I play Ed's tapes. He will do CCIR if you want

Hello Larry
Now you have chance to compare two Czardas played by Xiang, one with Eldon and the other with Li, when you listen to the Violin Encore's Czardas, I suppose you found there are some different between Czardas and rest of others of that tape,reason is they are not recorded in the same time, Czardas was early and without a in-put silver transformer, only with the stock copper in-put of Studer, Ed put them to-getter because of Xiang played with Eldon all of them, now you can find out very easily with two Czardas in different sound quality, much more detail of violin can be hear this time, that is why Kondo San of Audio Note said " put more silver to your system as more as you can "
do enjoy with them
tony ma

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing