Something new is coming from Magico...

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The New 2019 Magico MRack Vibration Dissipation Platform

View attachment 56514

Is this an amp stand, or platform for a component or speaker? If those footers are MPods, this is a very expensive platform. I wonder if they recommend coupling the component to this platform via spikes. It would seem that stock rubber footers would defeat the purpose by isolating the component. This looks like it is designed to drain vibrational energy away from the component and use mass and constrained layer dampening to remove resonances away from the component and lower noise in the process.. It must also be extremely heavy. I like the idea of three footers for stability.

Thanks for posting, Bodhi.

Reactions: Bodhi

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Is this an amp stand, or platform for a component or speaker?
They could have multiple uses as they're robustly made. Though i'm not sure if they can be ordered in custom sizes as Magico haven't put out any official press release yet.
If those footers are MPods, this is a very expensive platform. I wonder if they recommend coupling the component to this platform via spikes. It would seem that stock rubber footers would defeat the purpose by isolating the component. This looks like it is designed to drain vibrational energy away from the component and use mass and constrained layer dampening to remove resonances away from the component and lower noise in the process.. It must also be extremely heavy. I like the idea of three footers for stability.

Thanks for posting, Bodhi.
Magico have the QPod for use on the MRack, though other iso feet such as CMS CS2.0's could also work as they used constrained layer damping technology to dissipate energy as heat as you described above. Looking at the rendering however, the MRack iso platform looks to have 4 MPod footers, suggesting they're designed for use under heavy amplifiers.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
What is the purpose of that rod on one side?
It appears to connect to the copper substrate of the shelves, hence my theory is that it is designed to drain energy from the copper layer to earth (possibly via a spike/cup arrangement). But that's only a theory.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Here is the official press release from Magico incl: pricing. Looks like no custom sizing options for the MStands for now atleast.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
$42,000 - let's all take notice

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Pricing is the main reason I have lost interest in Magico - I wish them well though

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
Not to justify these prices, but at least you can fathom the value of 400 lbs of polish copper and anodized aluminum (btw, the top of the line CM is similar in price).

There is a report on a glorified Scan-Speak kit for $325K floating around these pages (but in all fairness it’s white:eek:). Didn’t see anyone of you complaining...

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I've got prices for my machined stainless steel armpod design coming back for over $2,000, and it is a small chuck of metal with no constrained layering or anything. Admittedly, that is a one-off design with no scaling, but still, these racks are sold through dealer networks and they have assembly and lots of research behind them plus shipping, so if they make them for $10K, or perhaps 10X the cost of my little armpod, these prices don't really surprise me. I'm shocked at how expensive machining is.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I was expecting this rack to be 1 billions dollars. 42K USD is nothing compared to 1 billion dollars.

I have not read a more accurate statement on this forum since that idler chat started two days ago

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I've got prices for my machined stainless steel armpod design coming back for over $2,000, and it is a small chuck of metal with no constrained layering or anything. Admittedly, that is a one-off design with no scaling, but still, these racks are sold through dealer networks and they have assembly and lots of research behind them plus shipping, so if they make them for $10K, or perhaps 10X the cost of my little armpod, these prices don't really surprise me. I'm shocked at how expensive machining is.

I don't think your one-off project is a good measure of cost here

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I don't think your one-off project is a good measure of cost here

Perhaps not, Ack, but I wonder how much scaling they are really going to have with these racks. Do they sell many QPods for components? It would also be interesting to read a comparison between this amp stand and one of those active isolation platforms for about the same money.

What I am really curious about is how the vibrations travel from the components down into those Magico shelves. It seems that a component's stock rubber footers would isolate and trap those vibrations in the chassis. Are they going to recommend replacing stock rubber feet with some kind of metal spike or footer that would transmit vibrations from the component into the shelf? Isolation vs. dissipation is a fascinating topic when it comes to Hifi.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Surely if someone can afford a chronosonic he can afford this rack and finally Magico and Wilson can live happily ever after under the same roof

Reactions: Bodhi and sujay

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
So, what would be a good measure of cost here?

Don't know. What I do know is that: a) one person's one-off project to machine something unrelated says absolutely nothing about any other machining effort on the planet; b) the pricing comes across to me as stupid for what it is on the surface; just a personal assessment. Magico are not the only ones who turn me off in this way.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing